snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 25 September 2007, 02:13 PM

I did a Pubmed search on UTI and these solutions.

There is some evidence that vinegar prevents UTIs in people with long term catheders.

This one combines and antacid with other substances in treating UTIs.

There was nothing on beer and I've not had a chance to check out baths or asparagus. There was tons of articles on cranberry but you all already knew that.
Old 25 September 2007, 08:17 PM
We'veBeenHad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Witch View Post
Pepto can cause the same problems in kiddos that aspirin can, as it contains a derivative. I don't think it has aspirin itself, but the salicyte (?) is similar enough that it's not recommended in little ones. I may be remembering that wrong, so feel free to correct me, but I do know that you can't take Pepto under 12 for the same reasons that you can't take aspirin.
Would that apply to topical application though? Smearing it on the skin isn't the same as taking it internally.
Old 25 September 2007, 08:50 PM

My mom recently retired from many years as a hospice nurse. When I expressed doubt that a medicinal cream would make it's way into the blood stream she said that a lot of her patients get medications through the skin. It is especially good for those with a compromised liver since then the medication only has to go through once.
So yes, the medication can go through the skin. I'm not sure how much asprin it takes to trigger Reye's syndrom.
Old 17 October 2007, 09:27 PM
Vendicare

I have a duplicated kidney just like the OP's daughter. Mine wasn't discovered until I was thirty years old. I suffered through a LOT of UTIs in my life. I normally drink 2 gallons of water a day, plus tea, etc. I have tried the cranberry, the beer (YUK!), and the Alka-Seltzer. None of them do much.

There is a product called Uristat that works amazingly well at taking away the symptoms, but you still need to be medically treated. I am not sure if a child could take it, though.

I always know when I am at risk for another UTI. Not to be TOO NSFBSK, but my pee is dark, and strong smelling, and I feel slightly achy. I douse myself in fluids, and try to head it off. It works about half the time.

My doctor brought up the idea of my having an absorbed twin. I have a couple of other extras, though, so my situation might be a little different.
Old 20 October 2007, 07:01 AM

Well last Thurseday they did the surgery to thin out her 4 uriters and retilt them by tunneling through her abdominal muscles to hold them in place. She seems to be doing great so far except for one thing... her cathetar came out yesterday and everytime she pees she screams he house down. Her Uroligist said it is normal as she had the cath in for 2 weeks before the surgery and a week after, but can not seem to give me any idea of how long this will last. Have any of you had a cath and went through this when it came out? If so how long did it last? I just feel so helpless because there is nothing I can do to help. I make sure to give her her morphine and motrim as soon as they are due, but it dosn't seem to help. She is peeing once or twice per hour and each time she screams for a good 3 or 4 mins with tears running down her face. Also as of tomorrow she is going off the morphine and onto a hydrocodone apap syrup to see how she does with less pain meds, I am thinking that this might be a bad idea as long as she is still PPP(having post pee pain). What do you think? Advice and opinions will be very helpful.
-Crystalshine
Old 25 October 2007, 07:52 PM

Icon105

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieyrissa View Post

This past year they discovered she also had kidney duplication on both sides, or rather confirmed it. This means that on both sides she has 2 kidneys grown together, kind of like 2 in 1. The doctors are not positive on what causes this.

-Nonnieyrissa

Horseshoe kidney
Old 29 October 2007, 02:30 AM

Okay she is STILL have severe pain after peeing. And her Urologist is still saying it is completely normal. Looks like tomorrow I will spend my morning finding a different Urologist for a second opinion. He did put her back on the morphine on Friday but as much as I really hate to see her in pain and would NEVER take her off of it while her pain is uncontrolled, this also worries me. With her going back and forth between these strong narcotics I am starting to worry about the possibility of physical addiction and withdrawel. I am hoping that the Urologist that I book her SO appt. with will have some ideas for non-narcotic pain relief as well. Wish us luck.
Old 06 November 2007, 07:02 PM

nonnieyrissa, any luck getting a second opinion?

I'm so sorry your little one is going through this. I've had a few bad UTIs so I can sympathize with pain during urination but it sounds like hers is 100 times worse than it should be. Poor little thing...

Re: the beer theory. SO had a UTI this summer and I may be misremembering this but I believe the pharmacist he spoke to told him to drink beer. The only thing I found online basically said that while it may help clear out your urinary system, you'll become (more) dehydrated and end up worse off in the end. Better to drink water and/or cranberry juice.

By the way, my mother (the RN) always told me to make sure it was real 100% cranberry juice instead of like cranberry juice cocktail or cran-apple but I read somewhere that as long as there is 27% cranberry juice, it's enough to produce the desired result. Not sure which is correct.
Old 06 November 2007, 09:21 PM

Ambulance

One nurse's advice...narcotics can cause urinary retention, so watch her doses carefully. She might actually get better relief from children's motrin. Ask your doctor if pyridium is available in a kid's dosage. That is a urinary anesthetic, it really reduces pain when urinating. It turns the urine orange and stains clothing, so be careful. Encourage fluids. And good luck!
Old 07 November 2007, 08:31 PM

Nay and Betty, Went for the 2nd opinion and she ended up telling me that Angelina was constipated from the heavy narcotics for so long. ***TMI TMI TMI *** I couldn't tell because it seemed like she had diareah which would be normal for the antibiotics but she was really impacted and it was leaking around it. We have her on alternating Motrim and Tylenol now and she is doing much, much better. I am so used to her spiking a fever and rushing off to the E.R. every week or two for kidney infections that I don't know how to just go to sleep like a normal person. It was so important to get her on intreveinous antibiotics asap before the surgery due to the level of damage and scarring to her kidneys. Now though the urine cannot reflux and yet I still find myself up every 1/2 hour feeling her head.
Old 24 February 2008, 02:22 AM

I was prone to many UTIs as a young child. Antibiotics were always prescribed for me...but that wasnt what I remember about them. What i remember was my mother making me drink massive amounts of Cranberry Juice, of which I hated. She'd mix in ginger ale to sweeten it, but for a short period of time, where ever I went I always had a water bottle filled with cranberry juice.
It really does work though. Many elderly patients, who are prone to UTIs, are prescribed Cranberry supplement tablets and nurses always keep pitchers of Cranberry juice next to there water pitchers during med passes.
Old 26 November 2008, 12:27 AM

Icon23 Cranberries -- good for what ails

European settlers first put cranberries on the Thanksgiving table because the local fruit lasted through winter and enhanced the flavor of gamy meat. The settlers had picked up on the berry's culinary potential from Native Americans, who survived cold winters by filling up on pemmican, a cake of cranberries, nuts and dried venison or bear meat.

Both groups also prescribed cranberries for fevers, gastrointestinal problems and dropsy -- a term used to describe any swelling or inflammation. Turns out, they were onto something. In the last few decades, scientists have begun to confirm and explain the cranberry's ability to fight infections of the urinary tract and gut and its potential to fight gum disease, heart disease and cancer.

http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...,2687173.story
Old 26 November 2008, 07:47 AM

The only thing I found with cranberry juice is that it helped the pain until I could see a doctor for the antibiotics. I've never heard of the Alka Seltzer thing, just the cranberry juice. I can get the fizz from drinking the sparkling cranberry juice from Trader Joe's which tastes better.