snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 02 December 2015, 07:33 PM

Default Active shooting in California, 20 feared dead

There were reports of an active shooter incident in San Bernardino late Wednesday morning, according to a police official.

The San Bernardino Fire Department first tweeted around 11:15 a.m. that they were responding to a report of a “20-victim shooting.”

http://ktla.com/2015/12/02/authoriti...ino-fire-dept/

The news is saying it was 3 heavily armed men in body armor. They shot around 20 people and fled the scene in a black SUV, leaving a package behind. The facility was a group that works with disabled children.
Old 02 December 2015, 07:43 PM

I don't even have a coherent response. I'm just so, so sick of this NFBSK.
Old 02 December 2015, 07:54 PM

What gun violence problem?
Old 02 December 2015, 08:09 PM

I wonder what the people at a facility for the disabled did to rile up those shooters. I mean clearly they must be at fault to bring this kind of violence down upon them .
Old 02 December 2015, 08:11 PM

So, America, ummm....tell me again how that (lack of) gun control is working out for you guys?

Seriously, I'm NFBSK sick of this seemingly unending gun horror that goes on down there. I'm living in a state of worry for all my U.S. friends and family.
Old 02 December 2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochrie99 View Post
So, America, ummm....tell me again how that (lack of) gun control is working out for you guys?
I think it is a bit early to link gun control with this event. The Paris attacks happened in spite of very strict gun controls. So far what we know abut this incident is that it appears to have been very well planned and therefore strict gun control laws would probably have had zero affect.
Old 02 December 2015, 08:34 PM

Okay, let's compare ourselves to France: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...nt-happen-oth/

I'm so angry.

I've emailed my Representative. I'll be voting with this issue in mind at the next election, but I don't know what else I can do to stop this.
Old 02 December 2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
The Paris attacks happened in spite of very strict gun controls.
No one ever claimed gun control can eliminate every incidence of gun violence so one example is spurious evidence at best.
Quote:
So far what we know abut this incident is that it appears to have been very well planned
Really? Where are you getting this information??
Quote:
and therefore strict gun control laws would probably have had zero affect.
Non sequitur.
Old 02 December 2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
I think it is a bit early to link gun control with this event. The Paris attacks happened in spite of very strict gun controls. So far what we know abut this incident is that it appears to have been very well planned and therefore strict gun control laws would probably have had zero affect.
Yeah, a bad choice of words on my part. It's more the fact that there are so many guns floating around (or being carried) in the U.S. getting into the hands of the murderous psychopaths that commit these bloody shootings. Gun control certainly couldn't hurt, but frankly, at the rate of these shootings, it probably won't help either. Sorry to be a bit desperate on the matter, but worrying about every new shooting that occurs is physically draining me. I don't really know how many more of these my poor heart can stand.
Old 02 December 2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Really? Where are you getting this information??
I'm hearing it from law enforcement on live coverage. 2 or 3 heavily armed shooters pulled in wearing protective clothing, possibly masked, shot, killed, and got out in a dark SUV before police arrived. They're calling it well planned.

ETA-The police spokesman said it was an act of domestic terrorism "at the very least."

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 02 December 2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02 December 2015, 09:20 PM

Maybe other people's definition of 'very well planned' is different from my own. I haven't seen any such evidence yet. Having masks and a dark van don't really indicate any special planning. Maybe we'll get more info soon.
Old 02 December 2015, 09:25 PM

No

I'll just repost the link I put up on another thread I started before finding this one.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...202-story.html

Quote:
The shooter or shooters who attacked a San Bernardino office building Wednesday morning killed at least 14 people and left another 14 wounded, police said. They may have opened fire on a holiday party being held by county employees, federal law enforcement sources and a witness told the Los Angeles Times.

The shooting, which left up to 20 people injured and several dead, happened on the grounds of the Inland Regional Center, which serves people with developmental disabilities in Riverside and San Bernardino counties.

At a press conference, officials said they don't know a motive for the attack and were not sure if it was an act of terrorism.

Keith Nelson, the vice president of the center's board of trustees, said a group who he believed to be "county workers" unrelated to the center were hosting a holiday party when the gunfire broke out.

A person who was inside the building also told The Times that the shooting may have happened during a holiday party, but declined to be identified or comment further.

The shooting took place in a building that is open to the public, Nelson said.

Federal law enforcement sources, who requested anonymity because the investigation is active and ongoing, told The Times that the group holding the party, rather than the center, may have been targeted.
They're not ruling out terrorism yet, but the nature of the shooting (especially compared to the one in Colorado Springs) suggests a lot more planning put into it. Also this:

Quote:
At a press conference, officials said the motive for the attack remains unclear, and investigators were not sure if the shooting was an act of terrorism. Source said the assailants were dressed in camouflage and masks, and police believe the attackers were carrying long guns, not hand guns.
Going as far as wearing costumes suggests a greater degree of premeditation.
Old 02 December 2015, 09:25 PM

(To Ganz) I think they're calling it "planned" as opposed to "an act of passion." Also, more than one shooter means it probably wasn't just someone's pissed off ex.
Old 02 December 2015, 10:43 PM

Read This!

Someone on the Twitter claimed that (one of) the shooter(s) had a middle-eastern-sounding name. I haven't been able to find a legitimate, or even illegitimate, news source showing that they'd identified anyone yet.
Old 02 December 2015, 11:00 PM

Breaking news is saying that all suspects have either been shot or apprehended.
Old 02 December 2015, 11:29 PM

My news says one suspect killed, one arrested, and one still on the loose. There is a massive search going on in a San Bernadino neighborhood.
Old 03 December 2015, 12:27 AM

Is there any other country where people see a tragedy and immediately leap to"If only there were more guns!"?

In other words, is there any other place in the world full of people who think they're all the heroes of their own private action movie?
Old 03 December 2015, 12:34 AM

Syria.

And gratuitous words.
Old 03 December 2015, 12:38 AM

Police are now reporting that two suspects are dead and one in custody. They are now saying that there are no suspects not in custody at this time. Still no motive.

Last edited by crocoduck_hunter; 03 December 2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03 December 2015, 12:53 AM

My children are a year younger than the Newtown kids. That hit me pretty hard. My mom works less than 5 miles from this mass shooting (I used to work less than 3) and I have friends who work in that building. I grew up where they are searching an apartment. My parents and many of my childhood friends still live there. That hit me harder.

It's way past time to implement some form of gun control.