snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 19 May 2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Hm. Not that I can say you're wrong (and I don't think I've travelled as much as you) but my experience has been that I've gotten great connectivity in rural parts of several countries.
According to my German teacher, who was reporting something she heard in the news, Armenia has better overall connectivity than Germany. Switzerland's pretty good as well - the most remote areas tend to be where there are towers, because the top of the mountains is a good place to put towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Paper doesn't usually trigger it, but the extra thick paper used for straws vibrating from transporting fluid triggers the same sensation. Plus the edges start to turn to mush as soon as you use it, so it's just awful all around.
We have one titanium straw at home, and I keep meaning to get another one. It's a lot nicer than the plastic straws we can buy here, and it has a slightly larger diameter, which helps with berry bits, etc.
Old 19 May 2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
According to my German teacher, who was reporting something she heard in the news, Armenia has better overall connectivity than Germany. Switzerland's pretty good as well - the most remote areas tend to be where there are towers, because the top of the mountains is a good place to put towers.
There's an internet company in Australia which lambastes how bad Australia's internet speed is by comparing it to Slovakia.
Old 20 May 2018, 08:47 AM

Despite a lightning rod on the house, yesterday's storm took out the HDMI connection on the DVR and 1 of the HDMI connections on the receiver, and probably the HDMI cable connecting the two.

The DVR is currently holding episode 1 of the new season of Humans, the Big Bang Theory wedding and yesterday's coverage of the royal wedding, which it was still recording.

So we can watch the shows, but can't hear them.

And the earliest we can get a new DVR is Tuesday, as Monday is a holiday. Not sure if we can copy the currents to the new one.
Old 20 May 2018, 11:22 AM

My aunt gave me a jar of home-made (but not by her) Beetroot and Orange Chutney. It tastes fine, but the thing that annoys me is the size of the chunks of beetroot in it.

It's the coarsest chutney I've ever seen - some of the chunks are more than 1cm cubes! If I want to use it for cheese on toast or in a sandwich I have to actually take some out of the jar onto a chopping board and chop it up more finely before spreading it, because it's far too chunky otherwise. I can't see why anybody would want a chutney that coarse!
Old 20 May 2018, 11:43 AM

Dog

Seeing one of my neighbors walking his dog and not having anything to clean up after it with. I would think it's a requirement for having one in this complex(not to mention simple common courtesy, especially if you're renting).
Old 20 May 2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
Despite a lightning rod on the house, yesterday's storm took out the HDMI connection on the DVR and 1 of the HDMI connections on the receiver, and probably the HDMI cable connecting the two.

The DVR is currently holding episode 1 of the new season of Humans, the Big Bang Theory wedding and yesterday's coverage of the royal wedding, which it was still recording.

So we can watch the shows, but can't hear them.

And the earliest we can get a new DVR is Tuesday, as Monday is a holiday. Not sure if we can copy the currents to the new one.
These are the occasions that really make me miss our old VCR. With our cable company there is a channel that has new episodes of shows that we can go to but they don't keep them past, at best I think, a few months. So while we can watch the Big Bang wedding (an awesome episode BTW) we can't see the premiere episode from this season. So if you are counting on that channel to catch up on, or get into, a show, don't. And while I love my PVR it has it's problems. One of which is that, at least for us, when ours died and needed to be replaced there was no way to port over any of the shows that we had taped. Along with that if we tape something like the royal wedding and want to share it with someone else they must come to us. In the good old VCR days we could tape shows and send them to friends or relatives who didn't get the channel a show was aired on or who had missed it for some reason. I guess the option of watching things on the Internet is there for many - but at least for us there are some programs that are blocked for Canadian viewers (depending on who aired it originally) so that's not always going to be all that helpful.
Old 20 May 2018, 12:22 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Seeing one of my neighbors walking his dog and not having anything to clean up after it with. I would think it's a requirement for having one in this complex(not to mention simple common courtesy, especially if you're renting).
It's actually in my complex's lease. I always have it crossed out in mine because I do not own a dog but it is in there.
Old 20 May 2018, 12:55 PM

Someone left dog poo in the middle of the sidewalk in front of the nearby Petsmart. Extremely annoying, since cleanup materials were readily available a yards away in the store.
Old 20 May 2018, 01:34 PM

My Facebook feed is absolutely swamped by people talking about how much they hate the royal wedding or talking about what they did to avoid it when it was being broadcast. I'm not really interested in it so I don't really care either way but my friends just won't shut up about it!
Old 20 May 2018, 02:58 PM

The Guardian had a good button on their website yesterday - it was marked "Not a Royalist?" and when you clicked it, it completely hid all the Royal Wedding stories that otherwise took up half the front page. (You could still see them in the "most read" lists, though - almost the whole of the top 10 most read articles...)
Old 20 May 2018, 03:29 PM

I'm equally frustrated by the (mercifully few) people I've seen on FB being snotty to their FB friends who were into the wedding, or acting as if people who were into owed the non-into-it people an explanation for their preference.
Old 20 May 2018, 03:36 PM

Or people that seem to think the funding for the wedding is somehow “instead” of providing social care, NHS funding or non flammable cladding for social housing, almost as if if there wasn’t a wedding, the government would somehow show comptency in budgeting or more compassion when allocating funds.
Old 20 May 2018, 04:07 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
My Facebook feed is absolutely swamped by people talking about how much they hate the royal wedding or talking about what they did to avoid it when it was being broadcast. I'm not really interested in it so I don't really care either way but my friends just won't shut up about it!
I was surprised working overseas. About half the Aussies I worked with were fervently passionate about cutting ties with the Monarchy. More passionate than I have come across Quebecois wanting to cut ties with the Monarchy.

Oddly enough, these fellas were also ones that would absolutely decry any thought of changing the Australian flag. Gotta keep traditions, ya know.
Old 20 May 2018, 06:32 PM

The wedding was a welcome relief to having to hear about yet another school shooting and anything the turnip says.
Old 20 May 2018, 08:58 PM

There is a small but vocal sect of Aussies that think we should cut ties with the British royal family and instead align with the Danish one (The Danish crown prince married an Aussie woman).
Old 20 May 2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
The wedding was a welcome relief to having to hear about yet another school shooting and anything the turnip says.
Absolutely! If you're not interested, that's fine, but this year of all years I think I'd have watched just because it was nice for a change to see something upbeat and positive on the television!
ETA

My royal wedding annoyance - I am no fan of the Mulroney's, Brian or Ben but fercrryingoutloud clearly the younger Mulroney couple are friends of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle so yeah they're allowed to be at the wedding, even in prime seats! Sheesh.

Last edited by Sue; 20 May 2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 22 May 2018, 04:38 PM

The train crossing alarm near my office keeps going off, apparently for no good reason. (As there have been no trains or other equipment going by.) It's annoying and distracting. Time to take a break to go get a cup of coffee, I guess. I just hope it stops soon.
Old 22 May 2018, 05:11 PM

France

Changes in procedures that are made without announcing them at work. Case in point : there was a little change on the sorting machines today. We had already sorted the mail for over an hour and a half when they gave us the new plaques to use on the containers. Except that I already had put two bins on the conveyor belt instead of on a container because I didn't know I had to. Well, it would have been nice to be informed of those changes before starting work ! And it's not the first time this happens.
Old 22 May 2018, 06:22 PM

Non standard ways of dealing with leap years...

I'm writing a complex report for a big insurance company. It turns out that they ignore leap years and give leap day for free. Which sounds great except that we calculate policy premiums daily. This means that I need to add extra lines of code every time I do date math to check to see if there is a leap day that needs to be ignored. And this report does a lot of date math.
Old 22 May 2018, 06:55 PM

Beachlife!, I bet they originally started the policy of ignoring leap days because it made the calculations (being done by people) easier. But now, it's just how it's done, with no revisiting of why it's done that way.