snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 09 May 2018, 01:11 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Pillow mints are the best when they are the ones that dissolve quickly. The ones that sit on your tongue like a lump are so-so. Same goes for conversation hearts and Smarties (U.S. kind).

Seaboe
Pillow mints should definitely dissolve on the tongue.

I preferred Fizzers to US Smarties. https://smile.amazon.com/Swizzels-Ma...=fizzers+candy
Old 09 May 2018, 02:14 PM

Glasses

I used to love Fizzies, which we ate like candy instead of turning into a drink (it was advertised, IIRC, as a way to make your own soda). My mom bought them for us when we went camping.

Alas, they are no more.

Seaboe
Old 09 May 2018, 03:31 PM

A quick Google search made me think Fizzies were back. Alas, they were back but are now no longer being made. https://www.oldtimecandy.com/walk-th...drink-tablets/
Old 09 May 2018, 03:48 PM

I famously tried to eat a root beer-flavored Fizzy once, then stood in the door to the living room, with an alarmed look on my face, apparently foaming at the mouth.
Old 09 May 2018, 06:41 PM

Glasses

I never thought the root beer Fizzies were very good. I liked grape best (I think it was grape. Did they have grape?)

And RichardM? That's the same link hidden in my Alas statement.

My FWP? I've upgraded to Windows 10 at work (which was much less painless than the instructions made it sound), but now Outlook search isn't working. I'm hoping that's just because it has to index my mailbox from scratch, not because it's been disabled.

Seaboe
Old 09 May 2018, 07:32 PM

They had all kinds of flavors, grape seems likely.

My mom used to buy a liquid drink mix, too -- either because it was cheaper than Kool-Aid or because she didn't trust us not to put too much sugar in Kool-Aid.* I think it was M&B?

*IDK when pre-sweetened Kool-Aid became a thing, but my mom never would have paid the higher price for it.
Old 09 May 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I never thought the root beer Fizzies were very good. I liked grape best (I think it was grape. Did they have grape?)

And RichardM? That's the same link hidden in my Alas statement.

Seaboe
I just realized that you had a link in your original posting so I clicked on it and realized it was the same site I had found. I was hoping to find an alternate source of Fizzys for you. Truly alas.
Old 11 May 2018, 11:59 PM

FWP: When restaurants post their menus online but don't include prices. I've got two coupons for a particular place: one gets you a burger for $3, the other gets you a free side. I'd like to figure out which is the better deal before I head over there. I know, I can just bring both and decide which to use when I get there, but I'd rather know beforehand.
Old 12 May 2018, 02:38 AM

FWP: My friend is trying out a subscription-based dog food box that, if it lives up to their claims, is both 1) made from healthier, better ingredients than I can afford to put into most meals and 2) about twice as expensive per meal than what I can afford to spend on a meal. Needless to say, my friend and I live in very different income brackets. I've come to a strange point in my life when I'm looking at "dog food" and getting slightly jealous.
Old 12 May 2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
When I went there in the early 2000’s there were TV adverts for “Big Kev!” and his various products, I think one was ‘Goo Remover”

Is he still around? He was a sort of entreprenureal hero of ours when we were over there!
I have vague memories of that but haven't seen him for a while, but that may mean nothing. After 5years of recording shows and removing ads for a school library, I have less tolerance of ads then I used to and tend to channel surf during ads or record and fast forward during the ads.
Old 12 May 2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
FWP: When restaurants post their menus online but don't include prices. I've got two coupons for a particular place: one gets you a burger for $3, the other gets you a free side. I'd like to figure out which is the better deal before I head over there. I know, I can just bring both and decide which to use when I get there, but I'd rather know beforehand.
Is it a chain restaurant or unique? In the case of the former, I understand not showing prices (though many chains I see now prompt you to select a location first, since, say, a restaurant in NYC is going to charge a lot more for the same thing than a restaurant in Sticks, NJ) but for local restaurants it's silly not to.
Old 12 May 2018, 07:54 PM

Yes, it's a chain, and yes it's probably for the reason you say. Although part of me wonders if they're also hoping you'll make up you mind as to what you want before you arrive, hopefully deciding on a more expensive item than you would have if you knew the prices.
Old 12 May 2018, 11:30 PM

FWP: Sacramento County, along with several other counties in California, have switched to a new voting system this year. Instead of voting in person on election day and having to specifically request an absentee ballot if you need one, now every registered voter receives a ballot in the mail. You can either return your ballot by mail, or drop it off at one of several "vote centers" located throughout the county. Since the vote centers are open on more days than just election day the idea is to make it more convenient for more people to vote. However there are fewer of these new vote centers than there were polling places under the old system. Since my polling place was the school directly across the street from my house for me it was actually more convenient to vote the old way than to have to take my ballot to one of the new vote centers or to the post office (I'd rather not leave it in my unsecured mailbox).
Old 13 May 2018, 01:32 AM

I have never voted in a poling place. Oregon switched to vote-by-mail when I was in junior high.

I like it: I was done voting in the May Primary two weeks ago, even though the ballots aren't due until Tuesday.
Old 13 May 2018, 02:17 AM

I probably would like the change if it weren't for the fact that my old polling place literally couldn't be any more convenient. It was literally walk across the street, vote, done. There were never any lines any time I've voted there. If I had to wait in line or had to travel farther to get to a polling place I'd probably feel differently.
Old 13 May 2018, 05:41 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I probably would like the change if it weren't for the fact that my old polling place literally couldn't be any more convenient. It was literally walk across the street, vote, done.
Pfft. My dad's polling place for years -it moved- was the room next to the office in his apartment complex. He used to claim he'd stroll over in his slippers and bathrobe to vote.
Old 13 May 2018, 12:46 PM

My voting place is at my old job location. I could wander over during lunch or any other break and just pop in to vote and be done with it. Now I have to- ugh- *go after work.*
Old 13 May 2018, 03:34 PM

Continuing saga of German and English. I have to type up my German homework on my home (Mac) computer. Typing itself is not so bad, but I seem to have problems with the Z and Y. And it's better to use the German layout since I need all those pesky umlauts.

For various reasons I have my caplocks key turned off, which means I can't type a capital ü. So I switched over to a browser and copied one. Easy peasy.

But I couldn't convince Pages (no Word at home) to spellcheck German. So my document has a lot of red. I already sent it off to the teacher, so I'm here in FWP instead of Stupid Questions. Fortunately my mad proofreading skills seems to work pretty well in German (better than my grammar) - I've even found errors in the course books which the teacher had not noticed. (To be fair it was a new edition of a book she had used earlier, so she was going along with the class.)

Regarding voting. I'm still ticked off that my vote in the last presidential election doesn't get me an automatic absentee ballot. Or my tax filing for 2017. Almost seems like they don't want to make it easy for those of us who dare to live outside the U.S. border.
Old 13 May 2018, 04:34 PM

Of course they don't. You might vote for a Democrat.
Old 13 May 2018, 06:19 PM

In the EU referendum in the UK they deliberately excluded UK citizens who couldn't provide a registered address in the country in the last X years, even though UK citizens living abroad in the EU are among the people who would be most affected by it. My brother couldn't vote because he'd not lived long enough in the UK over the last few years, and he lives and works in another EU country (Malta). So does my sister (Belgium), although she might have managed to vote as she only moved there a few years ago - I'm not sure.