snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 18 July 2017, 03:11 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
A friend's mother once showed me a recipe for a chocolate cake with a secret ingredient: sauerkraut. It was supposed to impart a coconut-like texture.
Actually, I can see that working. I'd think you'd need to use high-cocoa content chocolate (70% or above), and mild sauerkraut. It would add both texture and moisture, and probably a tang.

And let me be the nth person to state that aspic is disgusting. It was served at my BIL's mother's funeral (apparently she was very fond of tomato aspic, and had served canned tomato aspic frequently when her children were little). I only tasted it because I'd never seen it before. I hope I never see it again.

As for the chopped liver salad, calves' or lamb's liver would probably also be good, Thorny. When I was a small child, my parents served lamb's liver, and I must have liked it because I was a very stubborn child and I would remember if I had hated it and been forced to eat it.

Seaboe
Old 18 July 2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
The thing is this is a recipe that doesn't have much other liquid in it. Basically just a small amount of broth to deglaze the pan after sautéing the meat and vegetables. So there isn't really any sauce for the cheese to melt in with. So you either end up with melted cheese stuck to the meat and veggies, or like I experienced the other day, a lump of melted cheese. It would be different if this was making something like an alfredo sauce.
Thank you for clarifying! Yeah, that definitely fits with the kidn of recipes I mentioned in the OP, where you wonder if the recipe writer actually tested the recipe out before publishing it...