snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Weird News

Old 26 September 2014, 02:57 AM

Police Ghost caught on camera at Espanola police station, officer says

Quote:
ESPANOLA, N.M. —Surveillance video recently taken at the Espanola police station is a bit freaky.

http://www.koat.com/news/ghost-caugh...-says/28236272
Old 26 September 2014, 03:26 AM

Hmm, it looks just like lens flare.

Is it the ghost of JJ Abrams?
Old 26 September 2014, 08:47 AM

Haunting a parking lot?

Poor soul.
Old 26 September 2014, 01:34 PM

It looks just like when a spider or small bug walks across our home surveillance cameras.

Of course, now I'm in a war with idiots on our local news station's Facebook page because I posted that there.

I wish the ads weren't crippling this forum, I miss being able to talk to mostly non-idiots.
Old 26 September 2014, 04:00 PM

mags, I gave up and installed noscript in firefox.

You can allow this site, and block just external ads. You'll still see some ads, but not the ones that kept freezing my browser to the point at which the site became unusable.
Old 26 September 2014, 04:52 PM

I don't know that there's anything to help the problems accessing it on my phone in Safari (except avoiding the forum entirely or getting a different browser to use for this forum alone). The ads wait to load until just as I go to click a link, then resize the page and cause me to click something unintended. Closing the ads also causes a click underneath, usually the "log out" button. When they pop up when I've gone to "last unread", it doesn't stay at the last unread after I close the ad, just goes to the bottom of the page. I can't really visit any page without some sort of negotiating around an ad.

Even all that isn't the real problem, though. The forums have become much less trafficked in general, because I'm not the only one with these problems and I believe people are avoiding the place in droves. There's just not as much talking going on to participate in.
Old 26 September 2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
It looks just like when a spider or small bug walks across our home surveillance cameras.

Of course, now I'm in a war with idiots on our local news station's Facebook page because I posted that there.

I wish the ads weren't crippling this forum, I miss being able to talk to mostly non-idiots.
I was going to guess it was an insect near the lens. It has a walking sort of movement to it. Alternatively, perhaps a piece of dust near the lens, and the way it appears to move is an illusion created by the low resolution of the image. Doesn't look like lens flare to me.

I agree with you on your remarks about the ads (in this post and the later one). Browsing is hard, particularly on mobile devices, which is practically all I use to browse now. I've gotten my tablet to mostly work, which is why I stay, but wow is traffic down. And I've stopped even trying to access the site from my phone.
Old 27 September 2014, 03:53 AM

I've been wondering about the low traffic here. I don't check in much because I'm busy with work, but there are far fewer new/active threads than there used to be.

Also, my first thought was bug, too.
Old 27 September 2014, 05:01 AM

Another poster directed me to this thread as an answer to me wondering about how quiet the board seems to have gotten. I access snopes from a laptop and use Internet Explorer and haven't had any problems at all. I hope this gets resolved soon before the board curls up and dies .
Old 27 September 2014, 08:40 AM

I'm with Sue here. I use my Chrome book and haven't been around much because it's so quiet. I've actually started reading books. Not a bad thing, but I do miss the conversation, and I had noticed a distinct lack of it on this board lately.
Old 27 September 2014, 02:09 PM

Now that other people have mentioned it, I've noticed it as well.
Old 27 September 2014, 02:31 PM

Computer

I have been away from the boards for a while. I have recently started coming back and I have noticed that the taffic seemed to have fallen off somewhat.

I access the boards from several different computers, both personal and employer owned. I have not had any advertising related issues. My personal computer runs Vista with google chrome with the ad-block extension, but my work computer runs IE 7 (on windows XP!) with no adblock that I'm aware of. This one (different work station) runs windows 7 with IE8.

When I try to access snopes on my phone, I get the full site only, and the writing is too small to read.

YMMV

Jake
Old 09 October 2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I access snopes from a laptop and use Internet Explorer and haven't had any problems at all.
Well I spoke too soon. If this continues I guess I'll be another poster waiting for things to settle down .