snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 25 January 2016, 04:52 AM

Was it Axe that had the commercial where he sprayed himself with it and turned into chocolate, and as he was walking down the street women were breaking off bits of him ad eating them? I found that disturbing on many levels.
Old 25 January 2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockland6674 View Post
Women eating burgers? Don't be silly. In Commercial Land, women only eat yogurt.
Yogurt, Special K, and salad.
Old 25 January 2016, 12:08 PM

Women's primary purpose in life must be regular bowels.*

*going by the commercials
Old 25 January 2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
We don't eat salad, we just put a fork in it and laugh...

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/women-...one-with-salad
Old 25 January 2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockland6674 View Post
Women eating burgers? Don't be silly. In Commercial Land, women only eat yogurt.
And boxed diet dinners, maybe some salad, all washed down with "protein water." If she wants to feel like she's cheating, she can nibble delicately at the corner of a one-inch square of chocolate.

ETA: I really should read the whole thread before posting...
Old 01 February 2016, 06:05 PM

Never a big fan of teeth-whitener commercials to begin with, there's the one of the woman deleting pictures of herself off of her tablet because her teeth are too yellow in all of them. When her friend asks, "Why don't you use-" I keep hoping she'll continue, "one of the many available photo touch-up apps" instead of whatever the whitening product is. I mean, their product won't fix the pictures that have already been taken.
Old 03 February 2016, 02:42 PM

This commercial for the Chevy Malibu:

They show an unbadged car to people and get their opinions on it. The only features talked about are optional features (about 1/3 of the ad). Then the people are amazed to find out the car starts at $22,500. But the tiny disclaimer points out that the car shown is $36,500.

While they might be okay legally, it is very disingenuous to talk about the great features available on a car then talk about it only being $22,500 when those features will really cost almost 2/3 more.
Old 03 February 2016, 03:01 PM

I loathe all the Chevy commercials. The one I saw the other day was especially insultingly stupid. A group of kids are supposed to play a game but there is only one controller. Solution is to put them in a bunch of different cars that have game access. What's particularly teethgrindingly obnoxious though is the kid who pipes up "can we tell out parents about the product". No junior we're hoping you kids have deep pockets and can buy these cars yourselves." Ugh.
Old 03 February 2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I loathe all the Chevy commercials. The one I saw the other day was especially insultingly stupid. A group of kids are supposed to play a game but there is only one controller. Solution is to put them in a bunch of different cars that have game access. What's particularly teethgrindingly obnoxious though is the kid who pipes up "can we tell out parents about the product". No junior we're hoping you kids have deep pockets and can buy these cars yourselves." Ugh.
the other part of this commercial that bugs me is that the feature they promote has nothing to do with game controllers.. they still need a controller for everyone....
Old 04 February 2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Oh I hate that one. It's part of a group of ads pretending to be showing marketing focus groups.

There is one I find even more obnoxious where the guy makes everyone at the table hand in their cell phone. Then he takes the phones and drops them in a wood chipper (fake, of course) and asks them how they feel. None of them says 'pissed off because you just destroyed my $100+ phone. One woman says something like 'nervous because I can't be in contact without my phone'. Rather than 'nervous because some psychopath threw my phone in a chipper and I might be next'.
Old 04 February 2016, 05:40 PM

Jaded

There's a PCMatic ad that has the owner talking like he's giving a campaign speech, and he mentions how Obama has done nothing to prevent foreign hackers and virus producers from infecting Americans' computers.

Really? An anti-virus suite ad mimicking a campaign ad taking jabs at Obama? Do we really need to politicize anti-virus software now?

(Can't find a YouTube version of the ad).

Edit: I did find a version of the ad here:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/At1H/pcmatic-...-for-president

But it doesn't include the part about Obama. Maybe others complained about how stupid it was and the ad was edited?

Last edited by TallGeekyGirl; 04 February 2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04 February 2016, 11:31 PM

Mouse

The nerve! But to be fair, Obama also hasn't done anything to prevent people from stubbing their toes, even though we all know it's the President's job to solve all the minor annoyances of life.
Old 05 February 2016, 12:36 AM

The constant "snap" sound in the Zicam commercial drives me nuts.
(And yes, it *is* a short trip.)

ETA: http://youtu.be/sEY1Dn-UjWM
Old 06 February 2016, 05:41 PM

Kevin Hart's misogynistic "overprotective father" shtick in a Hyundai commercial.

https://youtu.be/-R_483zeVF8
Old 06 February 2016, 08:56 PM

Apparently someone thought this was a good idea: Confessions of a male stripper by Crest Whitestrips
Old 08 February 2016, 03:18 AM

Whichever company/ad agency thought that the "man at his father's deathbed distracted by hot woman" was funny/clever needs a good sharp smack.
Old 08 February 2016, 01:20 PM

Nothing can be worse than the puppy-monkey-baby ad. WTF!
Old 08 February 2016, 02:38 PM

Well, last night's game did not disappoint in terms of terrible commercials. There were some good ones, too, but the bad ones really stand out. Especially:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Nothing can be worse than the puppy-monkey-baby ad. WTF!
Agreed. That was the creepiest thing ever. Not fun creepy, either, more like kill-it-with-fire creepy. So highly disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
Kevin Hart's misogynistic "overprotective father" shtick in a Hyundai commercial.
That one was really bad. LizzyBean and I both ranted about it.
Old 08 February 2016, 03:05 PM

Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
But only after getting digestive health advice from their friends, along with a chart of their GI tract.
Old 13 February 2016, 11:20 PM

There's been a radio commercial going on around here for some flower delivery service that basically says, "Your girlfriend doesn't want a heart-shaped pizza, she doesn't want to see Star Wars for the seventh time, etc" and basically says that they want flowers and chocolate.

It annoys the hell out of me. 1) There are lots of women out there who would love to do pizza and Star Wars for Valentine's Day, I'm sure. 2) It's just sexist in its assumptions no matter what. 3) It's not particularly inclusive of all the other relationship configurations out there.