snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 18 January 2016, 10:36 PM

Icon18

Discovering that Carnation sells single envelopes of powdered milk. It's still way more than I need for one recipe, but it's better than having to buy a giant box.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 18 January 2016, 10:43 PM

Mack, were you actually confused by Seaboe's post, or did the indicate something else?

I had some general questions on the subject and found the diagram in this articlehelpful.

ETA: Even in summer, it's tricky for me. I'm very pale, which means I generate Vitamin D fairly quickly, but I have to balance that against my skin cancer risk, which is significant (pale skin, blue eyes, family history). I'm already on maintenance meds for my thyroid, so I've already crossed the "take a pill every day to live" threshold. One more pill isn't that big a deal.
Old 19 January 2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Mack, were you actually confused by Seaboe's post, or did the indicate something else?
The confused was over not being able to be sure if I was getting substantial vitamin D this time of year. I like the chart in your article - by that, I should have done pretty well. I am sure it was still considerably less than it would have been any other time of year.
Old 22 January 2016, 05:01 PM

I got an email forwarded from a customer. Their logo features the "three gears all interconnected that will never turn" that I always thought was just a legend.
Old 23 January 2016, 12:47 AM

Mouse

While out and about, I came across a four-pack of Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Cream Soda. The place where I discovered this brand, charged 10 bucks for four bottles, but this one charged 7.99. And I know Snopesters will quibble about the price either way, but it is just so damn good that I have to fight the urge to figure out how to write Homer Simpson's drooling noise in letters, because it is the only accurate way to describe it. It's that damn good. Anyway, here's a link. Probably should fight the urge to put on a suit and tie and go door-to-door proclaiming this products' awesomeness like some kind of soda-obsessed Jehovah's Witness.
Old 23 January 2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
While out and about, I came across a four-pack of Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Cream Soda.
And I just sent this to my dad to find for my grandmother. This and a scoop of ice cream - where is the drooling smiley?
Old 23 January 2016, 07:54 AM

It's funny how tastes vary from person to person. I recently poured out 3 bottles of that stuff because, having tasted one of the four and proclaiming it among the most vile drinks I've ever tasted, I couldn't see even wanting to offer it to guests.

Tasting it did allow me to confirm that I am not biased against stevia--i really can't stand the taste of the stuff. I didn't know it was in there until after I tasted the soda and was trying to figure out why it was so vile (to me). It isn't the only thing that makes it taste bad, but it is part of the equation.
Old 23 January 2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Tasting it did allow me to confirm that I am not biased against stevia--i really can't stand the taste of the stuff. I didn't know it was in there until after I tasted the soda and was trying to figure out why it was so vile (to me).
I saw that it had sugar and no artificial colors and missed the Stevia. Boo hiss.

My digestive system only likes sugar.
Old 23 January 2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Probably should fight the urge to put on a suit and tie and go door-to-door proclaiming this products' awesomeness like some kind of soda-obsessed Jehovah's Witness.
Got these for my wife for Christmas - she loves them. I'm a big fan of most of the Reed's soda line. The Ginger brew is a favorite, but Virgil's Root Beer is pretty awesome too.
Old 23 January 2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post

My digestive system only likes sugar.
If you aren't diabetic already, I hope you never become so!
Old 24 January 2016, 01:48 PM

Diabetic diets don't have to contain either stevia or artificial sweeteners.
Old 24 January 2016, 02:05 PM

And there are better reasons to hope someone doesn't get diabetes.
Old 24 January 2016, 10:33 PM

We got about 2 feet of snow, with drifts to about four feet, so I got to dig out tunnels for my kids to play in. They love it. Also, my neighbor the farmer came by in his front end loader when I was about 2/3 done with my quite long driveway and dug out the rest, including the very big pile by the road. I offered him money but it was clear he was just enjoying a chance to use his front end loader.
Old 25 January 2016, 08:13 AM

Whalephant

I can download Bob & Ray albums onto my kindle.
Old 25 January 2016, 08:26 AM

Just watch out for the komodo dragon. Love Bob & Ray
Old 25 January 2016, 08:38 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Just watch out for the komodo dragon. Love Bob & Ray
It's the largest lizard in the world, isn't it?

Bob & Ray are literally the only thing my family can play in the car while traveling and make everyone happy.
Old 27 January 2016, 12:39 AM

Mouse

Have to admit, always draw joy in reading the book How to Fight Presidents and making a mental list, just in case they come back as vengeful zombies or something. Right now, I've got three categories I sort the presidents into "Definitely Going to Kick My Ass" "Iffy" and "I Could Waste That Mothereffer!" Though both FDR and JFK...

FDR, I'm not sure what category to call him, I've just accepted no matter which way this fight goes, I don't come out looking good. If he wins, I beat up a man in a wheelchair with Polio and everyone's like, "I hope you feel proud of yourself, you monster." If he wins, I have to say to St. Peter, "I got my ass handed to me by a guy in a wheelchair with Polio." I suppose you could say something similar about Woodrow Wilson in that he was so debilitated in his second term that his wife and advisors were running everything, but at least, he was really frothing racist, even more racist then some of our slave-owning presidents, so I can more easily justify beating up on him. Whereas FDR did a lot of good for our country and went up against Hitler, for chrissakes.

As for JFK, let's just say given his legendary womanizing, we probably wouldn't be fighting in the conventional sense.

It is a little sad, knowing that the only candidates I say I'd totally win against, are the ones widely agreed to be the worst ones. Incidentally, me and my brother have been debating whether or not the best way to take down James Buchanan would be to openly challenge him (because he was a total wuss) or just throw a match at him (besides being a total wuss, the only bachelor president, his only other real accomplishment as president was putting away an incredibly impressive amount of alcohol)?

If you're wondering, when it comes the Definitely List, I've decided that all the Presidents on Mount Rushmore, John Adams, and Andrew Jackson. I know many object to the last name, but while Andrew Jackson did shitty things to the Indians and shouldn't be on our money, he was also legitimately terrifying and would easily kick my ass. He's the guy rather than the age-old scenario where you have to Save the President from the Assassin, it wound up being a Save the Assassin from the President kind of scenario. I'm starting to think the US Mint keeps him on the twenty because they're scared what his vengeful ghost will do if they take him off it. Because he was plenty terrifying when he was alive.

Though I do wonder if when factoring my lists, do I factor their physical condition when they assumed the Presidency or both before and after? If it's the latter, this might force me to reevaluate my lists.

Last edited by Mouse; 27 January 2016 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Changed "is" to "was." Though given that it's Andrew Jackson, maybe I shouldn't have.
Old 27 January 2016, 02:26 AM

Neither JFK nor Lincoln could come back as vengeful zombies.

Also, can you enlist Aaron Burr on your side? He knows how to take down founding fathers.
Old 28 January 2016, 01:03 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Neither JFK nor Lincoln could come back as vengeful zombies.

Also, can you enlist Aaron Burr on your side? He knows how to take down founding fathers.
Were JFK and Lincoln both cremated? Because if the answer is anything besides Yes, then we're still screwed.

Though we're more screwed with Lincoln than with Kennedy. Based on what I read in that book, Lincoln may be the closest thing we have to a real-life Segata Sanshiro. The whole chapter on him, I'm like how did John Wilkes Booth manage to successfully assassinate this mothernfbsker?! I know Booth had the element of surprise, but I still wonder how Lincoln didn't just catch the bullet and throw it back at him?

I dunno about Aaron Burr. He took down Alexander Hamilton, but Hamilton, while he did a lot, was never actually president. How much help would be be against Washington, Adams, and Jefferson?

Much as it pains me to admit it, I should probably also say that John Quincy Adams would probably beat me like a drum. Dude was crazy but was also a relentless perfectionist determined to prove himself and not just coast by on his father's reputation. My only objection to getting pwned by John Q is that numerous accounts attest to him being incredibly comfortable with his body. Is it so much to ask that if I'm going to get curb-stomped by a Zombie President that the dude can at least have the courtesy to put some pants on so the last thing I see, as I lose consciousness, isn't his vice-president flapping in the breeze?
Old 28 January 2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I'm like how did John Wilkes Booth manage to successfully assassinate this mothernfbsker?!
Sneaked up on him from behind, like the weasely little coward he (Booth) was.
Closed Thread