snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 09 October 2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cellaneous View Post
I think the problem some people have with grits is that they think of them as a "sweet" and add sugar, cinnamon, or whatever. IME they work best as a "savory" - especially good with cheese melted in, or poached eggs on top. (Never could work up a taste for red-eye gravy, though!)
I agree whole heartedly! Nothing is better than cheese grits

I have had many "True Southerners" tell me that REAL southerners don't put sugar in grits... but Mrs. Jake (born and raised in Augusta GA) has ALWAYS eaten them that way. Of course, she also drinks iced tea that makes Coca Cola Classic taste like it is sugar free.

As for red-eye gravy... of course it's delicious! It has coffee in it, AND it is very unhealthy. 2 things that guarantee that I will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I should clarify. I can buy a large package of grits. I can't (as easily) buy a reasonable-sized package of instant grits to mail to a Swedish person who might not, in the end, like grits. I told her I'd keep looking and next time I saw the packets, I'd send her some.
PLEASE don't send instant grits! Those vile things would make anyone hate grits! Especially the flavored ones.

If it's ease of preparation you are worried about, try Quick Grits like these from Quaker, or the standard at my house: Jim Dandy

If it's weight you are worried about, they come in packages as small as 2 lbs if I'm not mistaken (possibly smaller, but we buy 5 to 20 lbs at a time!).

Jake

Last edited by Atlanta Jake; 09 October 2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09 October 2014, 08:10 PM

2 pounds is still a lot when shipping Internationally.
Old 09 October 2014, 10:08 PM

Two pounds, the cheapest way you can send it, from the U.S. to Sweden, is about $30. Definitely not worth a "maybe you could try this" risk. That's why one sticks to small packages.

I shipped the box today! It was 5 pounds, so you do not want to know what it cost...
Old 09 October 2014, 11:27 PM

My daughter spent three months living in India at a monastery where our only contact was snail mail and packages. I wrote here frequently and always included newspaper clippings that would interest her. I got real good at figuring out exactly how much I could get in an envelope while keeping it under an ounce. Even better at figuring out how to maximize a package while minimizing the weight.
Old 28 October 2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kia View Post
root beer (Australian Bundaberg brand)
When I first moved to Australia eleven years ago, someone gave me a bottle of Bundaberg root beer thinking it was going to remind me of "home". It wasn't even close! Made with a completely different "root", I think. (don't get me started on the unfortunate implications of the name) Sarsaparilla is much closer to American root beer. Of course, nowadays it's not too hard to find a can of imported A&W in local shops.

But this kind of ties into my broader point, which is that just because an identical product exists overseas, it may not look or taste identical to the one in the States. Case in point, Old El Paso. It might be fun to send the US version anyway, just to see if it's different.

Quote:
We cannot get pumpkin pie filling in a can. I know that frustrates American visitors to our shores. It just doesn't exist here.
Oh, sure you can, if you know where to look. There's a local specialty store up here that carries loads of American products, including that elusive pumpkin pie filling. I even bought grits there once. That said, it's much easier and cheaper to just make my own.

Last edited by Tori; 28 October 2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: fixed smilies
Old 29 October 2014, 12:19 AM

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Jake View Post
PLEASE don't send instant grits! Those vile things would make anyone hate grits! Especially the flavored ones. (
You said it.
Old 29 October 2014, 01:46 PM

Glasses

So, in the end, what did you send?

Seaboe