snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 24 September 2014, 11:40 PM

Icon401 This German Footpath Contained Bricks Laid in a Swastika Shape

MAINZ, Germany — A construction firm apologized "several times" and German police are investigating after bricks were laid in a new pedestrian walkway in a swastika shape.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ge...-shape-n210336 (contains pic)

I'm wondering what really happened, hopefully the police will find out.
Old 25 September 2014, 12:47 PM

The company that did the bricklaying claims it was an honest mistake.

By the way, this happend in the town of Goslar, not in Mainz.
Old 25 September 2014, 12:57 PM

Looking at the rest of the bricks in that picture, it does look that the red bricks were supposed to be placed at random. I wonder if the workers were just following a plan or if they were just placing the stones as they came off the pile.

In any case, it's sad that future generations of Germans will have to keep apologizing any time something like this happens, even though the ones that were involved are almost all gone now.
Old 25 September 2014, 01:54 PM

In the US we see pics of Jesus on Doritos everywhere, while in Germany they see swastikas everywhere.

Sounds like an honest mistake to me.

OY
Old 25 September 2014, 02:23 PM

Jaded

After looking at the picture in the link above, In my opinion, this appears to have been intentional. I could imagine someone doing this as a joke, expecting no one to notice it. I have nothing to go on but my opinion, but the swasticka is formed in such a small area that it would hve been readily seen by the person laying the bricks, and if said person did not want it there, they would have had plenty of opportunity to fix it.

Atlanta Jake
Old 29 September 2014, 10:50 AM

Looks intentional to me, but who knows? Maybe the person who did this wanted people to walk over the Swastika, as an insult to the Nazis.
Old 29 September 2014, 02:53 PM

Even if it had been formed accidentally, it sure seems very obvious. The only way I could see it being an honest mistake really, is if the bricklayer is from one of the parts of the world where the swastika is not as taboo symbol.
Old 29 September 2014, 06:01 PM

I'm also thinking someone from the construction company, like a supervisor, plus perhaps someone from the town had to look at the walkway once it was finished. If nothing else just to be sure it was ready for public use. I guess they could all be clueless or whatever.
Old 30 September 2014, 11:53 AM

I can see this happen accidentally if the bricks were laid in rows maybe seven bricks wide. Laying a random pattern, you end up with some red bricks placed at the right edge of the row. Then, when doing the next row of bricks, you lay some red bricks along the left edge of the new row (where it borders the old row) without focusing on the overall picture. Rather, your focus is only on the row you are actually laying.

I've been painting banners to carry at a demonstration, and its strange how easily you misspell common words because you focus on painting one letter at a time, without stepping back to look at the whole word.

On the other hand, if I were a manager for the company, and one of my workers would do something like this, my first claim would be "accident!" as well. Then, I would look into the life of said worker, and if there were any indications of connections to the right wing scene, I would ask him to leave.