snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 12 August 2014, 12:26 AM

It is an especially heartbreaking one. I don't know why.

ETA--Cervus, I think that's part of it. I loved him as a kid.
Old 12 August 2014, 12:30 AM

My heart stopped when I heard the announcement on the radio. I think the reason it may be so heartbreaking is that is hard to imagine that someone who makes so many people so lighthearted so often can feel such wrenching despair.
Old 12 August 2014, 12:32 AM

He wasn't part of my childhood but he's been part of my life for a long time. He crossed generations as well. Kids loved him but so did their grandparents.
Old 12 August 2014, 12:49 AM

Every board I've been to has been lighting up about this. I wish he could have known how much he meant to so many people. Or maybe he did, and it still wasn't enough to keep the black cloud at bay.
Old 12 August 2014, 01:25 AM

Icon06

When I first saw it posted on Facebook, I figured it must be a hoax because they usually are. And then more and more kept popping up, all from different places. I'm honestly heartbroken.

I hope whatever demons drove him to this have left him alone now and that he is finally at peace.

RIP Mr. Williams, and thank you.
Old 12 August 2014, 01:34 AM

Icon06

Ummm... Yeah. I'm pretty much speechless right now.

Depression is such a devastating thing.

Jake
Old 12 August 2014, 01:38 AM

Mark Evanier has a few words as usual:

http://www.newsfromme.com/2014/08/11...-williams-r-p/

Me, I'm more shocked than anything else. Just did not see that one coming.

ETA:

Quote:
Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien – but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit. He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most – from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets. The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin’s family, his friends, and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...robin-williams

Last edited by E. Q. Taft; 12 August 2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12 August 2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I was really hoping for a hoax but it isn't.
A lot of people seemed to think that it was a hoax. I thought it was a hoax when I saw the news on another website. Then I saw that the link provided was from the BBC, and the Beeb isn't in the habit of reporting hoaxes. And if a story they run turns out to be wrong, they quickly correct it.
Old 12 August 2014, 01:54 AM

Like the rest of you I am shocked. There have been many famous deaths where I have been sad but this was a shock. When I thought "Did they just say what I think they just said?" So I certainly understand the reaction of thinking it was a hoax. He was so much larger then life.
Old 12 August 2014, 02:23 AM

Icon06

[stands on desk] O Captain, my Captain[/stands on desk]

RIP to a wonderful actor.
Old 12 August 2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
[stands on desk] O Captain, my Captain[/stands on desk]
[stands on desk as well]
Old 12 August 2014, 12:27 PM

In addition to the other reasons people have mentioned for this hitting so hard, I think this also stirs up old feelings in some of us who've lost people in our own lives to depression or addiction or some nasty cocktail of the two.
Old 12 August 2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I've never put much stock in the phrase "a part of my childhood just died," but it seems apt right now.
I was thinking the same thing. So many movies will never be the same. Aladdin was my favorite. I'm watching it tonight in tribute.

I still can't believe it. I really hoped it was a hoax.

Quote:
In addition to the other reasons people have mentioned for this hitting so hard, I think this also stirs up old feelings in some of us who've lost people in our own lives to depression or addiction or some nasty cocktail of the two.
He just always seemed like a happy guy, and everyone associated him with laughing. At least that's my reasoning.

Last edited by TripleAAA; 12 August 2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12 August 2014, 02:25 PM

Glasses

I have a nephew who is a stand up comic. He sent me a text as soon as he heard, saying it was a sad day. I think my friend J expressed the best initial reaction on facebook: NOOOoooooooooo!

I loved Robin as Mork, and his comedy album Reality, What a Concept was the first one I ever bought. I quote him regularly when I'm driving ("the brains of a pissant, my lord."). I had the tremendous luck to see him live in Las Vegas in either 2008 or 2009.

He will be missed.

Seaboe
Old 12 August 2014, 02:40 PM

Icon06 Robin Williams remembered as a brilliant actor and comic, with a dark side

Robin Williams was a brilliant actor and comedian who could go from light to dark in the blink of an eye.

Last year, CBS cast him as the star of a sitcom, "The Crazy Ones," in which Williams played the colorful elder statesman at a Chicago ad agency. The network had high hopes for the comedy, which also starred Sarah Michelle Gellar, but they quickly faded and the show was cancelled after one season.

The failure of the show, coupled with the failure of the independent film “The Angriest Man in Brooklyn” this year sent Williams into an emotional funk.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ith-dark-side/
Old 12 August 2014, 02:46 PM

Icon605 Robin Williams faced ‘serious money troubles’ before death

As the world mourns the shocking loss of Robin Williams, details continue to emerge about the comedy icon’s recent struggles with money and addiction.

“All he could talk about were serious money troubles,” a family friend who recently spoke with Williams said. “There were clearly other issues going on and Robin sounded distant during the telephone conversation.”

http://pagesix.com/2014/08/12/robin-...-before-death/
Old 12 August 2014, 03:07 PM

Ponder

On the one hand Peter Pan wasn't even supposed to grow old, much less die. On the other hand, the Llewelyn-Davies boys didn't fair all that well either, on average.
Old 12 August 2014, 03:30 PM

Icon06

People who make us feel, whether by laughter, which is one of the main ways I connect to someone, or by music, or drama, are those who take a little piece of our hearts with them when they go.

I remember being so saddened, to the point of tears, when John Candy died. Not only was he a terrifically funny guy, but he was a great actor. I recall one scene, in "Splash", in which he told his brother, played by Tom Hanks, "Come on. Some people will never BE that happy. I'LL never be that happy." And that just got me, and just stuck with me, because I felt he wasn't really acting at that moment.

Same with Robin Williams. He could make me laugh, and he could make me cry. But he made me FEEL.
Old 12 August 2014, 09:58 PM

I only just now found out about this, so I'm a little behind in the whole cycle of shock and disbelief.

I'm as stunned as everyone else. I don't know if I thought "he'd always be there," but I'd certainly taken for granted that he had a good many long and happy years ahead of him, and of course he'd be spending them right here with us.

I think what did it for me is that for all his wild antics, there was always something genuine, something that just gave you the impression he was a great all-around human being who just loved life.

Obviously the fact that he committed suicide forces me to re-examine the latter notion, but I hope I don't have to discard it entirely. Certainly he had his dark side that he kept hidden from the cameras, but I don't think I can believe that he was never genuinely happy, at least when he was performing. I'm sure he knew how loved he was, had some inkling of how much joy he brought into the world. I know depression has a way of obfuscating everything good in your life, and I hope it was just that: obfuscation. I hope that, if he'd somehow failed in his suicide attempt he would wake up the next morning relieved and gratified, wondering just what the hell he'd been thinking.
Old 12 August 2014, 11:20 PM

The last interview I saw with him, on the Daily show, he had a sort of bitter edge that I hadn't seen before. I remember thinking he seemed unhappy. I wish he'd been able to find some relief.

I always liked him in his comedic roles, but I thought he really shone as a serious (or more serious) actor. I think one of my favorite roles of his was the shrink in Dead Again. (Very different from the one in Good Will Hunting).

All I can say is: YAWP!