snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 16 July 2018, 09:14 PM

Today I've received three phone solicitations (all different) on my work phone and one on my cell. All were recordings being driven by an AI and all had a female voice (sounds like the same female voice). All had fake caller IDs.

I really don't believe that the telecoms don't know exactly what phone number is making a call. They know when a call is using a fake caller number but they make to much money off the fake calls to do anything about it. (OK, I might be have put on a tinfoil hat for that last part, but jeez...)
Old 17 July 2018, 11:23 AM

A few days ago everyone in my office received a phone solicitation in Chinese, one after another. It was pretty amusing hearing people's phone ring, them answer, and then try to work out what was happening, then hang up...and then the next person's phone rang and the same thing happened.
Old 17 July 2018, 01:01 PM

Icon02

That's happened to us before as well. No caller, we do not need the carpet cleaned!
My supervisor had to tell us all to not answer the phone until the caller ran out of numbers.

LTTAM: I can no longer get the Healthy Weight formula of Pearl's dog food locally; if I want to buy it, I'll have to so online. Apparently CoPet decided to not sell it anymore and SmartPet never had it in the first place. [I did speak to the vet and he advised me on how much of the regular food Pearl should get and her weight is staying where it should but still...]
Old 17 July 2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
A few days ago everyone in my office received a phone solicitation in Chinese, one after another. It was pretty amusing hearing people's phone ring, them answer, and then try to work out what was happening, then hang up...and then the next person's phone rang and the same thing happened.
I've had a few calls in Chinese. Here in Toronto, the spoofed number that appeared was that of that local Chinese Consul General. So I could see if you understood what was being said, you might believe it was legit.
Old 17 July 2018, 04:37 PM

I came home on my lunch break to find my neighbor's large oak tree is being chopped down. We don't have many shade trees in this neighborhood, so this really hurts me to see. I suspect the tree is probably too close to their house and the roots might be a problem, but I was always jealous that they were the only house in the neighborhood with a tree that provided shade.
Old 17 July 2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I came home on my lunch break to find my neighbor's large oak tree is being chopped down. We don't have many shade trees in this neighborhood, so this really hurts me to see. I suspect the tree is probably too close to their house and the roots might be a problem, but I was always jealous that they were the only house in the neighborhood with a tree that provided shade.

I discovered yesterday that a chunk of forest was chopped down near the further entrance to our complex. Some of the trees had fallen down on their own fairly recently but I think they are just planning to put a parking lot for something there. The yard of downed trees is very disheartening to look at.
Old 17 July 2018, 05:28 PM

Over the years since I moved to my neighborhood I've seen so many tall, mature trees get cut down, most recently the ginormous pine in my nextdoor neighbor's backyard. That one was so big I suspect it was there before the subdivision was built. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume there was something wrong with the tree that necessitated it be cut down, but it still makes me sad that it was. One of the things that I like about the neighborhood is that it's an older, established neighborhood with lots of mature trees, and when one gets cut down the spot where it used to be always seems so empty.
Old 17 July 2018, 07:51 PM

Glasses

In Seattle, if you intend to cut down more than 3 trees at a time, you have to get permission from the City. Now, to a certain extent, I think this is ridiculous. It's your property, you should be able to decide how many trees it has. At the same time, I don't think trees should be cut down unless there is a good reason.

I currently have 4 trees in my back yard (2 cherry, 1 apple, 1 giant Sequoia). I used to have 3 more (1 pine, 1 Douglas fir, 1 apple).

I had the apple tree cut down because it was unbalanced and beginning to fall over, I cut the Doug fir down at the same time because it was too close to the Sequoia and was beginning to impinge on the neighbor's roof, and I had the pine cut down because it was not healthy.

I also cut down an elm in my front yard because it died. I currently have a hazelnut tree in my front garden that I ruthlessly trim once or twice a year, because it wants to be a tangle of shrubs, and I want it to remain a tree.

My next door neighbors on the West have no trees. My next door neighbor on the east has one--but it's a doozy. A magnolia with a canopy at least 30' in diameter. I need to trim some of its branches soon, as they are over hanging (and touching) my carport roof.

Seaboe
Old 17 July 2018, 08:30 PM

In Toronto you need a permit to remove any tree over 30 cm in diameter. They are very strict here. From my following of city council, you need to really be able to prove that the tree must be taken down before they'll give permission. The laws were passed because the tree canopy was disappearing too fast.
Old 17 July 2018, 08:35 PM

The house next to me used to have an old growth Walnut and an old growth Pine tree. Huge soaring things. They've both been cut down, the Pine going just this spring. Both trees were on the east side of my backyard and cast a lot of shade in the morning hours. I was sorry to see them go, though I'm not so sorry that I no longer have black walnuts in my yard.

I currently have a city owned tree, maybe 30 years old, in my front yard and an apple tree that I planted 25 years ago in my back yard. I just had the apple pruned to produce better fruit. I'm looking forward to a crop this year.
Old 17 July 2018, 11:21 PM

I'm home from work now and there's no trace of the tree left. Now the main road is visible and it's noisier here.

I ought to be used to it, living in Florida, where 50 acres of woods can be bulldozed for development on any given afternoon with no warning, but it always hurts to see it.
Old 19 July 2018, 02:11 AM

I am really starting to despise the terms "pupper" and "doggo".
Old 19 July 2018, 11:30 AM

Roll eyes

I hate the term 'fur baby' with a passion.
Old 19 July 2018, 01:25 PM

I do like “Snek” though ( I have no idea why)
Old 19 July 2018, 02:09 PM

Glasses

My super annoyance word is vacay. It's made me shudder since the very first time I heard it.

Seaboe
Old 19 July 2018, 03:05 PM

I did something and my mouse has changed speeds. I can't find the sweet spot on the pointer speed that is where I had it.
Old 19 July 2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
My super annoyance word is vacay. It's made me shudder since the very first time I heard it.

Seaboe
Not as bad as "holibobs"...