snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Hurricane Katrina

Old 19 March 2018, 04:20 PM

Default How many restaurants in your area are run by people who left New Orleans because of

Now that it has been well over a decade since Katrina, how many restaurants in your area are run by people who left New Orleans because of Katrina? When I was living in the Dallas area, there were quite a few. But I was surprised to find one out here in the desert. I suppose he wanted to get as far from hurricanes as possible. By the way, if you are ever in Las Cruces try the Rendezvous for breakfast or lunch. They close at 2PM.
Old 19 March 2018, 05:18 PM

That's an odd question. Do you chat up all local business owners, asking where they're originally from? I'm not trying to be snarky, this is just not something it would occur to me to do. And why restaurants, specifically?
Old 19 March 2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
And why restaurants, specifically?
New Orleans is known for food and music, and of the two, restaurants translate more directly into a discrete physical business that an individual can move to a new city and start up.

To answer the original question, I don't personally know of any that made it this far. We do have a couple of very popular Cajun places, but both are very old and long predate Katrina.
Old 21 March 2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
That's an odd question. Do you chat up all local business owners, asking where they're originally from? I'm not trying to be snarky, this is just not something it would occur to me to do. And why restaurants, specifically?
In some cases, I learned about where the owners were from by the write up of the restaurant in the newspaper. In other cases, like for the Rendezvous here, it is mentioned in the menu. And in some cases, I might ask if the menu seems to be New Orleans style.

And actually, it is not just restaurants. There is an art business in Birmingham Alabama that is an out growth of a family owned business from New Orleans. They started the shop in Birmingham in order to protect the larger company from another hurricane. But I know this because my parents are friends with the owners. Plus the owners act as family to my family. I am immensely grateful to them for that.
Old 22 March 2018, 09:18 PM

There's a really nice used bookstore that moved here from New Orleans after Katrina. I know that from chatting with the owners when they first set up shop. I don't know about restaurants, though.