snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 25 September 2007, 02:53 AM

Blow Your Top Read a book! (NSFW)

Comment: So yesterday, I'm watching CNN while doing crap around the house, and I see a half hour commentary / talking heads argument on this clip, manufactured by the geniuses over at BET. According to those who put it together, it's a public service announcement / satire meant to spur the portion of BET's audience that have children into getting those children to read -- as well as adopt other wholesome habits.

Nope, this isn't a joke; it's airing on BET right now:

You HAVE TO WATCH THIS. Volume on, and door closed. Probably one of the funniest things you'll ever see.

Hoax or Real ?

Old 25 September 2007, 03:01 AM

It comes off as a less witty version of some sort of Prince Paul song. Way too repetitive to actually be something released by "the hip hop culture".
Old 25 September 2007, 03:11 AM

Well it seems to be the work of this gadgie who says "I'm not a rapper, I'm a poet with a hip hop style."

ETA He is Bomani Armah Wiki page.

ETA 2
Quote:
Way too repetitive
You dissing Beethoven now?

Last edited by Eddylizard; 25 September 2007 at 03:25 AM.
Old 25 September 2007, 03:16 AM

real or not, who cares. I didn't find it funny at all (and not cuz I'm some uptight white collar). Just not really funny enough to sit through, but also, if it was created to encourage reading, culture is in big trouble.
Old 25 September 2007, 06:34 AM
Trixie Tang

I saw this on the news a few days ago, both my husband and thought it was hilarious. Loved it.
Old 25 September 2007, 07:55 AM

Hello Kitty

It's funny, but sad too. If this is how we have to get through to people in socity, then we have a big problem.
Old 25 September 2007, 08:37 AM

Oh dear, school holidays are coming up, and the first time I hear, "Dad, I'm Bored," guess which latent earworm will pop up?
Old 25 September 2007, 10:18 PM
Hazed

Raphael De La Ghetto? He was the fake poet on an episode of Fresh Prince!
Old 26 September 2007, 03:37 AM
Altered Statesman

It probably will get some kids to read but not many, its a song, not a book. Maybe if the lyrics were printed in a book and the kids read it, maybe then.

I've always wondered why in year 7, we had to read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Good book dont get me wrong but about half of my class had no interest what so ever in it. That half of the class should have got an Underbelly book (a series of books on Australian crime) or something similar that they would actually want to read. Then if they still don't read, the problem is deeper than subject matter.

A mate of mine who is 26 has never read a book front to back before in his life, I lent him a book about Richard Kuklinski and he read the 400odd pages in a week. Something about a horse, water and drinking I think.
Old 26 September 2007, 05:03 AM
We'veBeenHad

Altered...I'm curious why you singled out that book? I was never assigned anything like it, but I did have to read a great many books that I wasn't interested in. Or that many others weren't interested in. Some of them I ended up liking very much - Watership Down, for example. Flowers for Algernon. But with assigned books, there's always going to be someone who isn't interested or doesn't like it, isn't there? The point is, I thought, to expose kids to as much quality literature as possible, even though some things some won't like. What made you wonder about that one and want an alternative as opposed to any other assigned reading?
Old 26 September 2007, 05:05 AM
We'veBeenHad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie Tang View Post
I saw this on the news a few days ago, both my husband and thought it was hilarious. Loved it.
Yeah my husband and I saw it a few weeks or so ago on ebaums, and we definitely laughed a lot. IMO it applies to all colors of people though, whether or not it was intended that way.
Old 26 September 2007, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazed View Post
Raphael De La Ghetto? He was the fake poet on an episode of Fresh Prince!
That's the first thing that came to my mind, too. Geoffrey has to pretend to be him when the kids decide they want to see Raphael.
Old 26 September 2007, 02:47 PM

Reading Reading TWO books, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHobbit View Post
Oh dear, school holidays are coming up, and the first time I hear, "Dad, I'm Bored," guess which latent earworm will pop up?
OY! Forget waiting for school holidays. I'm gonna have that in my head for the next week! It was funny, though.
Old 27 September 2007, 02:57 AM
Altered Statesman

It was just I had to read that book in year 7 (the first year of Australian high school). I agree with exposing children to well written and classic books as well but I feel the need to get the 'non-readers' to actually pick up a book before they get turned off the idea by a book they may consider 'boring'.

I read more than most people I know, mainly true crime books and things like 'The worlds weirdest...' or any obsecure 2nd hand book I can get my hands on because that is what I'm interested in. I find teaching kids to read is a bit like teaching them music, kids would rather play Nirvana (im starting to get old) than mozart. (most kids that is)
Old 27 September 2007, 02:59 AM
NOX

Books are for wimps and geeks. The more you read about fantasies, the less likely you are to live them in real life. That's what I say.
Old 27 September 2007, 03:14 AM

The clip was pretty funny albeit all the Mother F-bombs and GD's.

It would probably be just as funny without all the NFBSK language.
Old 27 September 2007, 03:33 AM

I thought it was pretty funny. Does this mean we can all feel free to use the 'N' word now when we tell our kids to read a book or brush their teeth?
Old 27 September 2007, 07:52 AM

Well, I'm convinced.

*goes off to read a book*
Old 27 September 2007, 08:34 AM

I actually do need to stop before work and pick up some deodorant, so I'll just hum this to myself so I don't forget.
Old 27 September 2007, 09:19 AM

It sticks in your head. My husband and I were on the couch, petting our cat, and suddenly we just started going "Pet the cat, pet the cat, pet the mother-nfbsking cat".