snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 26 March 2013, 02:45 PM

User education could point out that the men could get STDs from the women.
Old 26 March 2013, 02:49 PM

And it should. And one more time: I'm not suggesting that user education be abandoned. I don't think anyone is, actually.
Old 26 March 2013, 02:58 PM

I didn't think you were. But several of the comments in the other article and yours were saying or suggesting that part of the issue is that the men don't care enough about the health risk to the woman to wear condoms. Which got me wondering as STD are (usually) fairly close in their chance of infection male to female as they are female to male. So the issue would not be making the infected men care about infecting their partner, but making the non-infected men care about not getting an infection.
Old 26 March 2013, 03:06 PM

The problem may go deeper than all that. When AIDS was still a fairly recent disease, but had already known by that name and had become very prevalent in southern Africa (where it had become known as 'Slim Disease' for the wasting of the body as it progressed), the articles I read said that it was accepted among the men there that the cure was to NFBSK a virgin. That was supposed to be not a way for a man to avoid the disease (obviously an exclusive relationship between non-infected partners is a very effective avoidance strategy), but a cure for an already-afflicted man. I do not know how much currency that notion still has, but that the level of understanding of infectious disease is such that this notion could ever have taken root suggests a deeper problem than explaining condom usage.
Old 26 March 2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
If someone makes a feminist argument, they don't need to post their PhD in women's studies to be called feminist.
Perhaps I need to be clearer. What about those comments makes you think they are feminist, exactly?

Quote:
No, I'm really not, considering how it happens all the time. I confirmed that the article was one that was cross-posted on the co-site, so users of that site would see it and their comments would go there.
But do you have ANY proof that those comments were from readers from the other site?
Old 26 March 2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Which got me wondering as STD are (usually) fairly close in their chance of infection male to female as they are female to male.
Other factors being equal. But if, for example, a woman has only one sexual partner, a man, but that man has multiple sexual partners, surely he'd be more likely to infect her than the other way around. That's probably not an uncommon scenario in the sort of society I was talking about above, where women have little power and garner little respect.
Old 26 March 2013, 04:08 PM

I agree with your premise, especially about the power imbalance. But the man still has to get the STD first from one of the other women. And, as many STD are painful or very unpleasant (or even deadly) for men as well as woman, if you can show the man that it is in his best interest to not get himself infected, then that would help the other women as well.

ETA: IOW, rather than trying to get the man to care about his partner, use his own care about himself to protect both of them.

Note of course that this won't work if the man believes that every one of his women is a virgin and exclusive to himself. Which may very well be the case as that type of gender imbalance often comes with a hefty heaping of hypocricy regarding having multiple partners, forcing many women to lie about their sexual history.
Old 26 March 2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Which got me wondering as STD are (usually) fairly close in their chance of infection male to female as they are female to male.
That contradicts what I was taught in sex ed, as well as what my school's sexual awareness program says. According to both, women are more likely to catch something from an infected man than men are to catch something from an infected woman, due to the shape of the sex organs.
Old 26 March 2013, 07:10 PM

Which is why I doubly qualified my statement. What I was getting at is that while the risks aren't the same, they are close enough that concentrating soley on transmission to a female partner seemed to be missing a big chunk.