snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 14 January 2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieyrissa View Post
It isn't illegal here. I've seen plenty of topless women at Pride and the Boriqua and Italia day parades. She was wearing boots, fishnets, and an apron... she's golden. I especially loved the peace out in sharpie across her back.
I didn't even think about an apron, since the original video blurred her waist but that would defiantly give her enough coverage to be legal in anyplace where topfreedom is legal.
Old 14 January 2013, 10:16 AM

Icon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
I didn't even think about an apron, since the original video blurred her waist but that would defiantly give her enough coverage to be legal in anyplace where topfreedom is legal.
A google image search for 'naked waitress Roberta's' brings up the original picture pretty easily. It looks like that black strip across her waist is the top of the fishnet stockings and not an apron string.
Old 14 January 2013, 02:51 PM

Yea while we don't see her from the front she appears to be completely naked save for the fishnets (which in the back at least provide basically zero coverage).
Old 14 January 2013, 09:02 PM

Wasn't she cold?
Old 14 January 2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
A google image search for 'naked waitress Roberta's' brings up the original picture pretty easily. It looks like that black strip across her waist is the top of the fishnet stockings and not an apron string.
What does it say about me that, after ten years of waiting tables, I find the idea of working without an apron more mind-boggling than the idea of working naked?
Old 15 January 2013, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
What does it say about me that, after ten years of waiting tables, I find the idea of working without an apron more mind-boggling than the idea of working naked?
Well your task for this week is to try both out and then report back here and tell us which one felt weirder in practice.
Old 15 January 2013, 04:14 AM

Sadly (ha!) I quit my waitressing job a year and a half ago when I went back to school.
Old 15 January 2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
It says you are more of a neat freak than a prude?
Old 15 January 2013, 02:41 PM

It's about the pockets, see. At my waitressing job, I used my apron to carry:
-a corkscrew for opening beer and wine
-a pen and pad of paper, which I used to take down orders
-my magnetic swipe card, which I used to log into the computer terminals to put in orders
-check booklets to deliver to people who were ready
-at least five extra pens for people to sign their credit card slips (often large parties requested multiple separate checks, and usually at least one or two pens per shift got stolen)
-a cash bank consisting of small bills and coins for making change, plus all the cash tips and credit card slips I collected throughout the shift. At most of my jobs, we collected and held on to all the cash payments until the end of the shift as well.
-a travel pack of tissues and a small bottle of aspirin. My last job usually managed to keep band-aids in stock in case you started bleeding (many places didn't), but they seldom got around to restocking the painkillers. And if you didn't want to blow your nose on industrial grade paper towels--the kind they have in public restrooms--you'd better BYO.
-my car keys, because it was safer to leave my purse in the trunk than anywhere in the restaurant. Most people carried their wallets and/or cell phones, because we'd had a lot of thefts. Once I became a part-time manager, I started putting my things in the office, but of course then I was carrying keys to the manager's office, the liquor closet, the walk-in fridge, the dry storage room, the paper products cage...

Maybe this place had a stash of corkscrews at the bar and extra pens at every computer terminal. Maybe they have servers log in by punching in a number instead of swiping a card. Maybe customers go up to a register to pay, and tips are kept there too and pooled among the servers. Maybe she doesn't need to write down orders. Maybe they provide their employees with lockers, and aspirin, and tissues--or maybe she was lucky enough to quit while she was young and spry enough not to need painkillers to get through a shift. (I started carrying them when I was 23.) And maybe she doesn't sneeze.

But I'm still having a hard time picturing it. I worked a shift without an apron once--as a bartender. It was Halloween, and they let us dress up as long as our costumes were tasteful. I had room behind the counter to keep all the things I usually keep in my apron, but it was still a challenge having to run back and forth for them.
Old 15 January 2013, 04:02 PM

[attempt to be good failed]
Maybe she is a large-busted woman?
Old 15 January 2013, 04:09 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Do or not do. There is no try.
Old 15 January 2013, 04:11 PM

Cool.

Hey everyone! Chloe says I don't have to try to be good anymore.
Old 15 January 2013, 04:12 PM

Misrepresented I am.
Old 15 January 2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
But I'm still having a hard time picturing it. I worked a shift without an apron once--as a bartender. It was Halloween, and they let us dress up as long as our costumes were tasteful. I had room behind the counter to keep all the things I usually keep in my apron, but it was still a challenge having to run back and forth for them.
I could see doing it. It really depends on the kind of place you work in. I never carried a corkscrew or wine key as a waiter; but I never worked anyplace that sold lots of bottles of wine. Glasses sure, not bottles. Even as a bartender we usually just had one wine key that lived behind the bar and everybody shared.

As a waiter it was usually just cash bank in my right pants pocket, pens clipped on my shirt, ticket book in my apron pocket. Most places I've worked had code numbers for the computer rather than swipe cards. I could totally see it working. You can leave the pens by the computer and keep the cash in your ticketbook. I knew lots of girls who did the cash in the ticket book one because the pockets on so many women's pants are almost totally useless for carrying anything.

Also the story wasn't very heavy on details. She could have been a bartender who was picking up tables. Lots of places with small bars let the bartender do that during slower times. I used to do that all of the time during slower hours and I never wore an apron to bartend. All of my stuff could sit at the bar computer terminal and I'd grab a notepad when I went to take an order. All cash transactions from the tables, I'd return to the register and handle it all in the drawer right than so that there was no confusion later on about weather this cash in my pocket goes in the drawer or the tip jar.
Old 16 January 2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
You can leave the pens by the computer and keep the cash in your ticketbook. I knew lots of girls who did the cash in the ticket book one because the pockets on so many women's pants are almost totally useless for carrying anything.
And where would you keep the ticketbook if you're wearing neither apron nor pants?

Wait. Maybe I don't want an answer to that.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
That could be, I didn't think about that, I just assumed it was an apron band. It would still be legal in Ny, but it would be rather icky to have someone serve me food in fishnets, even stockings, but fishnets are prime free germ flow garments if there ever were any...