snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Snopes Spotting

Old 13 August 2016, 03:33 PM

Vanishing The highly reliable, definitely-not-crazy places where Donald Trump gets his news

Here's a head-scratcher from yesterday's Washington Post (emphasis below, mine) ...

Quote:
The Highly Reliable, Definitely-Not-Crazy Places Where Donald Trump Gets His News

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...0379&tid=ss_tw

[...]

But where does Trump himself find information he trusts? The list includes the National Enquirer, Snopes and some guy on Twitter who goes by @SeanSean252.

Trump has made some of his media preferences known by praising their work, but others require a bit of uncovering, given the candidate's habit of making claims with such vague citations as "many people are saying." Here's a rundown of some of the news sources Trump relies on.

[...]

Where did he get the false notion that Obama was born outside the United States? Politico in 2011 traced the origin of "birtherism" to an anonymous email chain posted on Snopes, a site that — by its own admission — traffics in urban legends.
Old 13 August 2016, 03:43 PM

Icon101

So the Washington Post has just accused Snopes.com of trafficking in Urban Legends?

Epic fail.
Old 13 August 2016, 03:45 PM

Icon05

Perhaps they were being, like, you know, sarcastic ...
Old 13 August 2016, 04:30 PM

I think it's just badly phrased. I don't think it's saying that snopes was the origin of the rumor, especially since it notes that the emails cited on the snopes website were anonymous. I think they are just trying to say that they found a reference to the origins of the rumor on the snopes site and they are emphasizing that it is not true by noting that snopes is an urban legends site.

However, I am at a bit of a disadvantage because I can't see the full article, as I have apparently used all my free Washington Post articles for the month.
Old 13 August 2016, 05:36 PM

It isn't just badly phrased. The author is listing Snopes.com as one of the questionable sources where Trump gets his news based on it being the source of his birtherism claims. Which means the author isn't familiar with Snopes, failed to research it, or even read and understand the information actually linked to in the article about the site, and failed to read or understand the Politico article also linked in that section, from which he apparently got the Snopes (misunderstood) connection. Terrible reporting.

The mistake has been pointed out in the comment section, which is mostly not too bad as comment sections go, and contains this gem:
Quote:
DocinDC
8/12/2016 9:01 AM PDT
ONE MONTH LATER:
CNBC Studios:

QUICK: So, Mr. Trump, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that President Obama is responsible for the Lincoln Assassination.

TRUMP: Many people have said that, yes. And crooked Hillary Clinton. You know...how they say in baseball, a Double Hitter? They were the Double Hitter of the Lincoln Assassination.

QUICK: Mr. Trump, the Lincoln Assassination took place in 1865. How would it even be possible for either of them to have been involved?

TRUMP: I've sent teams...teams...back to look for this. They are saying amazing things, amazing things, that they've found. Incredible things.

QUICK: How would it even be possible...

TRUMP (Interrupting irritably): Look. Believe me. I have seen this. Unbelievable evidence. Just unbelievable. A disaster. One of the great catastrophes of all time. Horrible. Terrible. Disgusting. (Wipes hands on pants).

QUICK: But John Wilkes Booth was proven...how...

TRUMP: How? They walk in. They walk into the booth, or the veranda, or whatever they call it, boom. It's done. I've seen it. They committed this. They invented this.

QUICK (Shaking head): So you blame...

TRUMP: There's only one person to blame. Obama. And Hillary. I just know that they did this, they got us into a mess the likes of which this country has never seen, walked in, forty-five degree angle, went into Henry Ford Theater, wherever, and boom, finished, done. Obama and Hillary. Crooked Hillary! And I promise that my first act as President will be to rescind the assassination, rescind it entirely, even if I have to use Article Seventeen of the Constitution, I'll do it. I'm the only one who can do it. And I'll get it done.

QUICK (Pauses): We'll be right back.

Last edited by erwins; 13 August 2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 13 August 2016, 06:55 PM

Well, that's discouraging. I guess it's not so bad then that I don't get any more articles!
Old 13 August 2016, 08:11 PM

From the article posted:

Quote:
anonymous email chain posted on Snopes, a site that — by its own admission — traffics in urban legends.
What? snopes admits to being a debunking site?

Next whoever wrote that article is going to "admit" to being a reporter. But with less truth involved.
Old 13 August 2016, 09:45 PM

Vanishing

http://www.snopes.com/2016/08/13/trump-reads-snopes/