snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 12 February 2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
That's the issue, though. They AREN'T filling a niche. Not really. People buy these because they want to have the latest thing.

There are PLENTY of existing breeds out there without having to create this monstrosity of a mix. And, frankly, most doodles I've met make HORRID family pets.

I actually don't have a beef with attempting to create a true breed if the need is there (Black Russian Terrier, for example). I don't even object to crossbreeding for a specific working purpose (Lurchers, for example, although I draw the line at the flyball loonies who create stuff like "BorderJacks").

But, honestly, as a family pet, A Portie, Irish Water Spaniel, Standard Poodle, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, or Xoloitzcuintli would be far better than a Doodle.
But the same could be said of many purebreds. "We bought Fluffy because XXX celebrity has one." "We brought Fluffy because hes sooooooo cute." "We bought Fluffy because we saw an XYZ in a movie and Little Suzy just had to have one" Honestly, most of the people I know who aren't really dog people either bought a purebred from a BYB because they knew someone else who had one and gave it five minutes thought, or the picked the cutest puppy/dog in the shelter with five mintues thought.

And none of the breeds you listed are the same as a doodle. Porties and Irish Water Spaniels are somewhat rare breeds and significantly smaller. A Xolo is naked and requires special care of the skin, and A Wheaton is prone to the dog aggression issues of all terriers. Many pet homes are looking for a larger dog with a low incidence of animal or human aggression. A Standard Poodle could be a good fit.

Personally, A doodle is not my cup of tea, but neither is a Lab/Golden or a poodle, so I wouldn't expect it to be. The one's I've met that came from decent breeders seem to be good dogs if you're into that type of animal. The ones that came from the doodle mill 20 miles up the road tend to be horrendous, but that can be said of any mill type dog.

I'm not saying that everyone should run out and buy a doodle. But I also don't think that owning one is the worst thing in the world that could happen.
Old 12 February 2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
But the same could be said of many purebreds.
Yes, it could. And I am similarly unimpressed by them.

Quote:
And none of the breeds you listed are the same as a doodle. Porties and Irish Water Spaniels are somewhat rare breeds and significantly smaller.
Since Doodle sizes differ widely, that isn't the case.

Quote:
I'm not saying that everyone should run out and buy a doodle. But I also don't think that owning one is the worst thing in the world that could happen.
Neither do I. I think that purchasing one, however, is quite foolish. I also think that people purchasing purebreds without doing proper due diligence is foolish.
Old 12 February 2014, 09:08 PM

Actually, I think you and I are making the same argument: Either buy from a reputable breeder, or go with a rescue. Do your homework, and be sure of what you are buying or adopting. Don't get pulled in by a BYB making false promises.
I just think we have different definitions of what a reputable breeder is, which is normal. I don't think I've met two people, whether extreme dog people or average pet owners who have the same one.
Old 12 February 2014, 09:14 PM

Good enough! We can shake on that.
Old 12 February 2014, 09:31 PM

Certainly! And if I ever do decide to go the Collie route (they were in the top three breeds this time around), I'll be coming to you for some advice. Darn I love a smooth coat.
Old 12 February 2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
An Old English Sheepdog may come close looks-wise, but they don't really make a good pet for an average family.
Brushing issues aside, that's the fault of irresponsible breeders.

A quality Old English Sheepdog as that was defined in, say, the 1960's would make an excellent family pet. Unfortunately, the breed had its time of overpopularity; and I have the impression that many of them are no longer like that.

thorny -- child at raretree kennels -- locust
Old 12 February 2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Certainly! And if I ever do decide to go the Collie route (they were in the top three breeds this time around), I'll be coming to you for some advice. Darn I love a smooth coat.
I'll never be without one if I can help it.

FABULOUS dogs! I call them the best kept secret in the Dog World and am glad it's that way.
Old 12 February 2014, 09:40 PM

thorny locust, slight hijack, but have you seen Swagger (Bugaboo's Picture Perfect) yet?

He is PHENOMENAL.
Old 12 February 2014, 10:06 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
TWill my rottweiler be anything like the rotty across the street? The answer is maybe sort of but don't expect it. Your dog is going to be a unique individual.
Well-bred rottweilers share a lot of traits. The degree of those traits will vary, but most are reserved with strangers, very affectionate with those they know well, need a great deal of physical and mental exercise, and are somewhat stubborn.

Sister "I love them myself, but know they'd also drive some other people up a wall"
Old 12 February 2014, 10:09 PM

Dog

I adore rottweilers. They're not my favourite, which is the german shepherd. But let's address the purebred elephant in the room: Some purebreds can barely breathe because they were bred to fight other dogs and other animals but our beautiful companion is called a "monstrosity" simply because she has parents of different breeds and a some silly name for the mix (something breeds have never had )? That's really rich. (And not in the sense of a rich spaghetti sauce or a rich baseball team owner.)
Old 12 February 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Some purebreds can barely breathe because they were bred to fight other dogs and other animals but our beautiful companion is called a "monstrosity" simply because she has parents of different breeds and a some silly name for the mix

No one here is defending every breeding practice involved in every pure breed.

Nor did anyone say that your dog is a monstrosity.
Old 12 February 2014, 10:40 PM

If you make extreme over-generalizations, few are going to see them as thoughtful commentary about specific instances. (Yes, some of the people in those groups will see it as rather, well, for lack of a better word, offensive.)
Old 12 February 2014, 10:42 PM

It seems that I'm not the one over-generalizing here.
Old 12 February 2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
thorny locust, slight hijack, but have you seen Swagger (Bugaboo's Picture Perfect) yet?

He is PHENOMENAL.
I haven't actually been keeping up with the breed; the kennel was only active for a few years in the 60's, and we never really got into showing -- though we did produce some champion quality pups.

But I've seen pictures of him now, and that is one pretty dog.

Do you know anything about his character?
Old 12 February 2014, 10:49 PM

He's a sweet, sweet boy. Happy-go-lucky, outgoing, and a big, fluffy ray of sunshine. Honestly, I've not met OESs that are really any different than that, from responsible breeders or not.
Old 12 February 2014, 11:24 PM

Ryda, I'm glad to hear that. I've heard reports of poor temperament from more than one person outside the professional networks, and had taken StillandSilent's comment in post 40 to be another such.
Old 12 February 2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
It seems that I'm not the one over-generalizing here.
OK What did I overgeneralize about then? Did I call a whole kind of pet a "monstrosity"? Did I say people only buy a certain kind of pet because it's the latest fad?
Old 12 February 2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Ray View Post
Standard poodles can be and are used as service dogs. Here's a really cute video of one.

Sister "happy to have an excuse to share that link" Ray
That dog behaves and looks exactly like our doodle. Of course there is a debate on whether we have a labradoodle or a poodle with big feet. We would check her papers but they were mostly the Dallas Morning News with some Sachse news thrown down also.
Old 13 February 2014, 12:01 AM

Read This!

The modern bulldog wasn't bred to fight anyone. The breed as we know it today was created *after* bull baiting was made illegal, by breed lovers who wanted to keep the tenaciousness but not the aggression.

And when a breed is portrayed as an exciting new hip breed, it'll get people buying it for its status. This is never good. It's happened to rottweilers, shar peis, and at least a dozen other breeds.

Sister "we can talk about bad breeding practices without condemming all breeding"
Old 13 February 2014, 12:24 AM

Dog

That's a fair point. I'm not condemning all breeding. Just saying that it's no better (historically, ethically, practically, etc) than mixing - especially when those mixes are almost always sterilized.