snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 15 August 2018, 01:02 PM

Jaded

Yesterday, a colleague repeated this UL. I told her it was not true, but now I have to prove it.
ETA: I don't mind doing this; what annoyed me was her reaction. I guess I'm the same way when the situation is reversed.
Old 15 August 2018, 01:52 PM

That's a little thing that annoys me, Dawnstorm - when people make positive claims about things then demand that people who question them prove them wrong, instead of proving the claim made.
Old 15 August 2018, 02:29 PM

Soapbox

Ah, but did you just question them, or did you make a positive claim yourself, that there is no rise in domestic violence resulting from the Super Bowl? They're still demanding you to provide more than the evidence they themselves offered, but maybe they never realized it wasn't a "widely accepted fact" or "common sense."
Old 15 August 2018, 03:52 PM

Yesterday my 50-something coworker swore up and down that "all the kids today" are eating Tide Pods. She saw it on Facebook. I debated whether to even attempt to address this with her but ultimately decided it would be futile.
Old 15 August 2018, 03:56 PM

Ask co-worker to go to the nearest beach or park and take a picture of 1 kid eating a Tide pod.
Old 15 August 2018, 04:52 PM

I was standing at the bus stop yesterday when a litany of first responders sped by with lights and sirens ablaze. An older lady wondered aloud what might be happening and a college-age girl confidently responded, "There was a shooting. I heard the gunshots as I was walking over here." She then proceeded to tell us how Halifax was not a safe city any more and she lives in this neighbourhood and hears gunshots "every day."

We were directly across from my house. I've lived here for seven years and never once heard gunshots, let alone "every day." There are areas of Halifax that you might hear the occasional gunshot, but the South End is not one of them.

Turns out it was a car accident.
Old 15 August 2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Ah, but did you just question them, or did you make a positive claim yourself, that there is no rise in domestic violence resulting from the Super Bowl? They're still demanding you to provide more than the evidence they themselves offered, but maybe they never realized it wasn't a "widely accepted fact" or "common sense."
I just said that that statistic was an urban myth and suggested she check Snopes.com
She then claimed that a DV shelter she's familiar with sees an uptick in calls on Super Bowl night. Could be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
The person is on vacation until next week, but I printed out some things from Snopes and Straight Dope.
Old 15 August 2018, 08:42 PM

There are Christmas decorations up in retail stores already.
Old 15 August 2018, 10:54 PM

The 2019 calendars started showing up in June!
Old 15 August 2018, 10:56 PM

Thatís nothing. The Mayans were pitching calendars all the way out to 2012 to the Spanish over 500 years ago. Didnít take.
Old 15 August 2018, 11:28 PM

Read This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Thatís nothing. The Mayans were pitching calendars all the way out to 2012 to the Spanish over 500 years ago. Didnít take.
That's because they were clever. They noted that the world was supposed to end in 2012, and thought "Meh, let's not and save the gold!"
Old 16 August 2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
The 2019 calendars started showing up in June!
2019 calendars aren't accompanied by irritating music and forced cheer, though. That's what I associate with Retail Christmas and I hate it.
Old 16 August 2018, 01:42 AM

Ah, good point. though usually I don't start hearing Christmas muzak in stores until after Halloween.
Old 16 August 2018, 03:53 AM

Royalty

I have several friends posting and re-posting Amber Alerts. When you check the link for the details, every-one was resolved 18-24 months ago. And they got p!ssed at me for pointing this trivial fact out.
Old 17 August 2018, 02:54 AM

Yeah so I am meant to be looking for work. I got a Total and Permeant Disability Payout from my Superannuation insurance at the start of the year which mean I can't work or I lose my payout, which I would never have accepted if I had to look for work. The thing is I thought I had a disability pension. Well I did have a disability pension but the government decided they had to do something to make it look like they were trying to save money and put a whole lot of people on pensions back on the dole*.

They people that are meant to be helping me look for work are aware on my situation and are be assisting me with it. And my family and I are working on it through other channels.

But that is not the problem.

The problem is to get the dole I have to prove I am looking for work I have to enter certain information on to the government website and this has had me screaming at the top of my lungs several time today.

This site has been redesigned to be user friendly. It is not user friendly. I have to keep searching the site to find were to enter the job search details. I have had to go off the site several times to get information on my possible employers and each time I have had trouble finding the place to enter my information. Yes my disability is poor memory but it shouldn't be this hard to find the place to enter the information.

But this not the worst thing. The worst thing is when enter the information on the employee there is certain information that HAS to be entered, including the contact number of the business. Even though they even say on the text box "Phone number (if available)"

So entering the phone number is essential, even though they admit themselves it may not be available? Well done government department. Well done.

*with special considerations
Old 17 August 2018, 03:05 AM

I'm having a hard time getting people to take my money these days.

First I tried to book my usual pet sitting company for when I'd be traveling for my cousin's wedding. They only let you book through their website. After a few days, I hadn't gotten a confirmation email, so I sent them a message through the site, them called a few days later, then finally had to find a new pet sitter. I still haven't heard back.

Then I tried to book my semiannual antidepressant botox session and had the same thing happen. I'm trying to find a new hair stylist because my regular guy still isn't back from visiting his mom (it's been two years! He keeps telling me he's coming back in two weeks!) so I reached out to a new salon that seems promising and haven't gotten a response. I even have an email out to an expert witness I'm trying to hire but who hasn't gotten back to me.

Is my internet broken? Does my IP address smell bad? What is going on?