snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 22 June 2018, 07:11 PM

Default Fake police 'arrest' woman, force her to deposit cash in CRA scam

Vancouver police say there's a new twist on a Canada Revenue Agency scam they've been warning the public about and the swindle involves being arrested.
Police say a 58-year-old woman received a phone call on Wednesday afternoon from someone claiming to be from the agency, who said she owed $6,000 in taxes and there was a warrant for her arrest. The woman was contacted again by a person claiming to be with the RCMP and he convinced her to give out personal information, including her location.

Police say two men showed up at her door, dressed as RCMP officers complete with what appeared to be firearms, handcuffed her, and put her in the back seat of an older-model sedan. The woman was driven to a Bitcoin machine in Surrey, B.C., to deposit the cash and the two men left the area without the victim. Const. Jason Doucette says taking control of someone like that can be considered kidnapping and they remind people to hang up if anyone calls claiming to be from the Canadian Revenue Agency.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/fake-p...scam-1.3984271

Article with more details
https://globalnews.ca/news/4289676/c...cmp-vancouver/

A new twist indeed! I had heard about this on the news last night but wasn't sure of the details. Scamming over the phone is bad enough but actually pretending to be the police and showing up at someone's door now that's dedication! The scammers would be sorely out of luck if they thought I could withdraw $6,000 on the spur of the moment - or not even on the spur!

Last edited by Sue; 22 June 2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 22 June 2018, 11:05 PM

Canada

Apparently she exaggerated her experience because she was embarrassed that she had been scammed.

"Detectives confirmed this morning that the victim was embarrassed for falling for the scam and panicked, deciding to exaggerate her story to include fake police," said Doucette.
Old 25 June 2018, 01:46 PM

Icon02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Buddy View Post
Apparently she exaggerated her experience because she was embarrassed that she had been scammed.
That's what's sad. Anyone can be scammed and these scammers are very good at what they do!
Around here, it's usually people impersonating either the electric company or the water company. Or it's a phone call from the "County Circuit Court" about missed jury duty.
Old 25 June 2018, 01:49 PM

I can understand her embarrassment and at least she didn't compound her lie by saying the scammers were black or First Nations or Syrian refugees. Of course this doesn't excuse her wasting the time of the police in the way she did but I do have to give her credit for not trying to find a scapegoat which she could easily have done.
Old 25 June 2018, 03:36 PM

Does the term "damning with faint praise" mean anything to you?
Old 25 June 2018, 05:02 PM

Who me?
Old 25 June 2018, 05:07 PM

I think Crocoduck meant me, and I can understand why, I do think though that we, royal we, can underestimate how humiliated and embarrassed someone can be when they fall for one of these scams.
Old 26 June 2018, 01:26 PM

Canada

For what it's worth:
The CRA does not accept payment in Bitcoins here
The CRA does not involve the RCMP except in cases of criminal prosecutions (in which case you would be aware you're being prosecuted)
If the CRA does a property seizure, it would likely involve a Sheriff, serving a write of seizure and sale, not the police coming in with handcuffs.

Also, I would like to say "CRA agents do not use aggressive language" but I can't guarantee that. We're all human after all and every one can have bad days.

Last edited by Alarm; 26 June 2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 26 June 2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
For what it's worth:
The CRA does not accept payment in Bitcoins here
The CRA does not involve the RCMP except in cases of criminal prosecutions (in which case you would be aware you're being prosecuted)
The CRA doesn't call. It writes.

OY
Old 26 June 2018, 07:57 PM

Sounds like a movie or TV catchphrase.

The CRA is the one who knocks!
The first rule of the CRA is, "Never talk about the CRA!"

You see this CRA is a bad mother (Shut your mouth)
But I'm talkin' about CRA (Then we can dig it)
Old 27 June 2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post

OY
That's true but people do call them. For the record anyone I know who has had to call CRA and talked to me about it had nothing but good things to say about their interactions. I suspect that this is professionalism at work but also that if the caller is courteous they have a pretty good chance of being treated well. If they're rude and ignorant, well as Alarm says, we can all have a bad day and someone might get pushed too far and respond in kind. Even then though they aren't going to tell the caller that they're going to jail unless they send thousands of dollars in bitcoin!!
Old 27 June 2018, 12:13 AM

Icon605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
The woman was driven to a Bitcoin machine in Surrey, B.C., to deposit the cash...
Kind of off topic, but I had no idea Bitcoin machines were a thing. From the sound of it I assume you put cash in and receive Bitcoin in an account you specify? Or on some form of physical media?
Old 27 June 2018, 04:49 AM

I'm currently being pursued by both the CRA and IRS for my non-existent back taxes..

I just hope they don't let HM IR know..
Old 27 June 2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post

OY
Oh no, trust me, they call...

It's when (g)you call that they don't answer...
Old 27 June 2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Oh no, trust me, they call...

It's when (g)you call that they don't answer...
All joking aside I bet when they do call Joe or Jane Average it's to clarify something on a tax return and it's not threatening! And when there are major problems and they call the recipient is already aware that there are major problems. You just don't get calls out of the blue from the CRA - you get those ominous buff coloured envelopes that strike terror in your heart before you even open it .
Old 27 June 2018, 01:10 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
All joking aside I bet when they do call Joe or Jane Average it's to clarify something on a tax return and it's not threatening! And when there are major problems and they call the recipient is already aware that there are major problems. You just don't get calls out of the blue from the CRA - you get those ominous buff coloured envelopes that strike terror in your heart before you even open it .
They don't send letters about stuff like that? The IRS's first contact with you will be a letter. I got one once. I sent them back a letter on official Marvin through Martian stationery explaining I goofed up because I was a procrastinating idiot who should have gotten tax help but didn't. I got my return promptly.
Old 27 June 2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
They don't send letters about stuff like that? The IRS's first contact with you will be a letter. I got one once. I sent them back a letter on official Marvin through Martian stationery explaining I goofed up because I was a procrastinating idiot who should have gotten tax help but didn't. I got my return promptly.
LOL. I bet you made someones day with that stationery! Anyway IME anyway you get letters, through the years when issues have arisen we always found out through a letter. But since Alarm works for the CRA and says they do call I would expect that there must be some circumstances when a call just makes things easier. But I bet that it's for very specific reasons - like getting no response any other way for example - and most likely IMO it's a CRA employee returning a call from a frazzled tax payer!

Last edited by Sue; 27 June 2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 27 June 2018, 01:39 PM

I don't think the actual IRS ever starts with a phone call; I think they always start with a letter, and, if there are to be phone calls later, it's because you call them and/or it's in specific reference to the letter.

I have had such a letter -- after my mother died I went out of gear and among the things I screwed up was that I didn't file my taxes. Eventually I got an entirely polite letter, no threats, saying basically (not exact wording) 'we noticed that you didn't file for X year and we think you might owe us some money because [specific Reasons]. Respond to this letter by Y date [which was several weeks in the future].' I responded immediately to the letter, by mail, saying in effect whoops, sorry about that, I'll do them and get them to you by Y date'; which I did. I didn't owe them anything (because, other Reasons). That was the end of it.

ETA: if I had owed them anything, I expect I'd have had to pay a fine for late payment on top of the original amount. But I still wouldn't have expected them to threaten to throw me in jail, at least unless I persistently didn't pay up after multiple warnings. And I would have expected to pay by check or possibly credit card, to a known and confirmable IRS address.

I'd be really surprised if it works significantly differently with the CRA.]
Old 27 June 2018, 04:56 PM

Canada

Because CRA recently started using a program called Online Mail, and some people may not be aware that they've been registered to it, because of their tax preparer, a lot of people don't get actual physical mail (from CRA) any more.

The CRA still sends them notices, but a lot of people don't get them, because they don't know where or how.

That means that when it DOES get to the level of a call, it can be a surprise, the way any cold call from the taxman can be.

Old 27 June 2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I don't think the actual IRS ever starts with a phone call; I think they always start with a letter, and, if there are to be phone calls later, it's because you call them and/or it's in specific reference to the letter.
You're correct, the IRS doesn't call. I had made an unintentional error on my tax return 4 years ago, I got a letter in the mail, here's why, and how much you owe. You can call us if you want. I just sent the $$$ and got a taxes-paid-in-full notice.

2 years ago same issue but this time due to a 401K refund that didn't get taxes and no form. Same letter. Never a call.

OY