snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 13 July 2014, 10:59 PM

Police Small SC town rallies for fired gay police chief

When openly gay police chief Crystal Moore was fired by a mayor who condemned her lifestyle as "questionable," she feared her two decade career in law enforcement in this town was over. Then, this conservative, small town rebelled. The people of Latta, who voted overwhelmingly for a state amendment banning gay marriage eight years ago, turned against the mayor, stripped him of his powers and the town council rehired Moore. They said her dedication to the town mattered more than her sexual orientation.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-13-11-16-34
Old 14 July 2014, 07:17 PM

Nice to read one of these stories going in the favor of the victim and not the bigot.

Quote:
In a conversation released to reporters after Moore was fired, the mayor said: "I'd much rather have somebody who drank and drank too much taking care of my child than I had somebody whose lifestyle is questionable around children, because that ain't the damn way it's supposed to be."

Bullard, who has avoided reporters for much of the past three months, told The Associated Press that was him on the tape. He offered no apologies.

"I don't like the homosexual ways portrayed in front of children," Bullard told AP by telephone Thursday. "You can't explain to a 5-year-old why another child has two mommies or two daddies.""
But apparently you can explain to a five-year-old why mommy was so plastered she mowed down 30 pedestrians?

What a gem this fellow is.
Old 14 July 2014, 07:19 PM

Nice to read about other bigoted Mayors with questionable values. Well not nice exactly, but nice in a misery loves company kind of way.
Old 14 July 2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
"I don't like the homosexual ways portrayed in front of children," Bullard told AP by telephone Thursday. "You can't explain to a 5-year-old why another child has two mommies or two daddies.""
Really? I thought it was pretty easy.
Old 14 July 2014, 08:45 PM

I know it is a small town and all, but why do you need to explain the police chief's family dynamics at all (any more than you'd have to explain them if Moore was a civilian)?

ETA: Also, how small does a town have to be when the only one available to baby-sit is the police chief?
Old 15 July 2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I know it is a small town and all, but why do you need to explain the police chief's family dynamics at all (any more than you'd have to explain them if Moore was a civilian)?

ETA: Also, how small does a town have to be when the only one available to baby-sit is the police chief?
Maybe the mayor's children are so rowdy they need preventative incarceration?

I think the mayor should have had his mouth "incarcerated" to let his brain catch up with the rest of the population in the 21st century.
Old 15 July 2014, 02:10 PM

In my experience in small towns, the people usually have problems with "The Gays" rather than gay people. Kind-of like how people used to say, "I don't like black people, but Jim's ok. He's not like other black people."

I've never had any trouble explaining to my kids why some kids have two moms or two dads. When they are the age that he mentions, just saying, "Yea, some kids do have two moms or two dads." is usually all the explanation that they need. Five year-olds don't generally think (or know) about how that child was conceived. They just want to know that what they are seeing/hearing is what is actually happening.
Old 15 July 2014, 02:36 PM

mela, I think that it is like that in many areas, which is why gay rights has come so far so quickly. "The Gays" are a group out there who you can believe whatever you want about. Tim and Bob, and Cousin Liz and her wife, are great people. As more people have come out, more people have realized that "The Gays" consists of people that they know, and care about, so of COURSE they should have equal rights.
Old 15 July 2014, 02:41 PM

As a person that grew up with an alcoholic mother, imo it would be easier to explain 2 mommies/daddies then why a parent is bombed out of their mind at inappropriate times.

My mother went through 5 marriage/divorces by my mid 20's and began a same-sex relationship with a woman after I graduated college that she is still with 15yrs later. I find it much easier to explain that relationship then explaining why there are certain tensions/issues between me and my mother when she is drinking.
Obviously I'm older but I've never been embarrassed(or hurt,angered,abused) by her current relationship like I've been by her behavior while drinking.
Old 15 July 2014, 03:45 PM

People that talk about it being hard to "explain" homosexual couples to young children make me wonder what they tell their kids about straight weddings.
Old 15 July 2014, 03:56 PM

I got to see my dad do a complete 180 on the subject, right in front of my eyes. When I was a teenager, my dad was somewhat homophobic, and we were having a debate about gay rights (the standard 'would you want one of them teaching your children?" and "how would you explain two mommies to a kid" stuff). I blurted out that my ex had just come out of the closet, and he just stopped in his tracks. He adored my ex, and thought he was everything a young man should be - polite, intelligent, kind, a good worker, etc. Luckily, he fell on the side of changing his views about gay people rather than changing his views about my friend. It was like a switch flipped in his head, and from that time on, 'the gays' were no longer this big scary group - in fact, he'd argue strongly for gay rights, because now they represented a kid he liked and respected, not some stereotype.
Old 15 July 2014, 03:59 PM

I saw that to some extent with my parents. There were never homophobic but they certainly held the, at the time, mainstream view that gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry, adopt kids, that kind of thing. Gradually over the years as society itself changed it's attitude and approach so did they. It's actually pretty cool to hear the way many people of my parents generation (in their 80s+) talk about issues like this. Most of the more outspoken anti-gay rights people I know tend to be pretty young - well 40s is getting young to me.
Old 15 July 2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
People that talk about it being hard to "explain" homosexual couples to young children make me wonder what they tell their kids about straight weddings.
Well that couple is getting married because they love each other very much. Whereas it's hard to explain about Adam and Steve because they do disgusting things in bed with each other.

There really is a bizarre fixation by a lot of these people on the "sex" part of "homosexual."

I wasn't initially thrilled when the rights movement shifted its focus to be almost entirely on marriage a few decades ago, but I have to concede now that it was a great strategy. It has done a great job of getting people to focus on the difference as being about who you love, not how you have sex.
Old 15 July 2014, 04:14 PM

I just imagine them sitting in church whispering to the kids about what Cousin Susie and her new husband Bobby will be doing after the reception.
Old 15 July 2014, 04:25 PM

My childhood theory (age 3): when a mom and a dad get married and decide to have a baby, they mouth kiss. A small seed passes from dad into mom down her throat, and then grows a baby.

My mom needed a few hours to laugh it off and have a glass of wine before I learned of the birds and the bees.
Old 15 July 2014, 05:06 PM

Baseball

We were lucky in not needing to explain anything to our daughters. Where we lived at the time, we had a gay couple across the street (one of whom worked in a bank) and a lesbian couple next door (with a daughter that whose age was between our two girls).

So, our girls grew up in a neighbourhood where homosexual families were part of the fabric. To them, it is "normal".
Old 15 July 2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
So, our girls grew up in a neighbourhood where homosexual families were part of the fabric. To them, it is "normal".
You didn't grow up in the same neighborhood as I did in Canada, obviously.... There was a divorced lady on our street, and other families would always mention her negatively. That's until they figured out that she divorced her husband because he was very alcoholic.

OY
Old 15 July 2014, 05:15 PM

UEL was talking about his daughters, not his own childhood, so it might be a generational thing.
Old 15 July 2014, 05:21 PM

Baseball

Sure was. In my youth you did not mention gay or divorce. My daughters are 30 years younger than me. A decade ago was when the neighbours were as described.
Old 15 July 2014, 05:30 PM

While growing up, I was aware of only one family who had divorced and remarried other people (their daughter changed her last name when we were in elementary school). That seems extraordinary now.