snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 06 January 2014, 01:00 PM

Default The Big Chill

I had to hook up a space heater in my garage to save the battery in my car, and Darby is already pacing the house, even though he's only been inside for a few hours. At least school was cancelled so - hey! - I got a Cold Day. How's everyone else handling the sub-zero temperatures?
Old 06 January 2014, 01:13 PM

My first day of classes were canceled, so I'm hanging out in my fleece booties and watching "CSI NY".

I would do something more constructive, but none of my instructors felt the need to post a syllabus.
Old 06 January 2014, 02:15 PM

I'm heading out in it in a couple of hours. Got the layers already working. It's cold in the house, we turn the thermostat down overnight and it hasn't recovered yet. Still 65 inside.

Gibbie
Old 06 January 2014, 02:20 PM

A Facebook friend in Seattle posted something about it being chilly. It's 39F.
Old 06 January 2014, 02:21 PM

My snow day looks suspiciously like the last two weeks. The kids are off school and DH's office is closed. Today was supposed to be the day we move my father to the veterans' home but the roads are reportedly really bad. I'm not enthused about risking my car for him.
Old 06 January 2014, 02:25 PM

I haven't figured out the exact mechanism yet, but the subzero temperatures are causing our house to make fairly loud thuds. The first one woke me at 5:30 AM and I initially thought it was one of the cats. When I checked them (both sleeping) I thought maybe the ice downed a limb. It seems to be house-settling ramped up, because the thuds happen mostly when the heat starts up, and when it stops again. They've come from various places in the house, but the loudest are either the door to the deck or possibly the deck itself. One of those actually woke the cat on my lap and she ran to the door to see what caused it. She probably thought it was a squirrel, sometimes they will come up to that window, look in, and smack the glass to harass the cats.
Old 06 January 2014, 02:38 PM

Mags -- what you ay be experiencing is an Ice Quake -- we were woken up them the other day -- thought someone was breaking into our house

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/hearing-lo...uake-1.1616236
Old 06 January 2014, 02:49 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Yes, that is chilly. It's not cold, and it's not setting records, but I don't see why it's worth an eye roll.

It they'd posted "oh how terrible, it's really cold." I could see the eye roll.

Seaboe
Old 06 January 2014, 02:52 PM

Because she posted it in a conversation with people who were talking about two-digit subzero windchills.

But the eyeroll was tongue-in-cheek, and I didn't use it on Facebook.
Old 06 January 2014, 02:59 PM

We've had some cold temperatures (a few days in the -30-40 windchill range), but what's really been weird this year has been the swing between freezing and warm conditions. Calgary gets chinooks every year (warm winds over the mountains that can warm things up by 20C overnight), but it's been really drastic this year. It's like we've swung between blizzard and chinook on a weekly basis with nothing in between.

Yesterday I woke up to a -33 wind chill. Today it's supposed to be -2, which is nice and warm for this time of year. In a couple days, it'll even be above freezing. I like the break the chinooks provide, but with the amount of snow we've gotten so far this year, it's made everything a mucky, slushy mess.
Old 06 January 2014, 03:01 PM

We will be going from +4C to -30 C over the course of this one, very rainy, day...

Yowzah!
If the cold doesn't kill us, it'll be the ice covering almost every road, as all the drains seem to be clogged with some white substance.

Old 06 January 2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
But the eyeroll was tongue-in-cheek,
You should probably see a doctor (or an exorcist) about that.
Old 06 January 2014, 03:10 PM

It's currently -23 F with a predicted windchill of -51 F. On the bright side, no mosquitoes.
Old 06 January 2014, 03:14 PM

We are not quite as cold as our northern brethren, but we are still at 5F with the wind chill. Plus, the heat at work has gone out. Had I known I had no heat before I got to work, I would have brought an illegal space heater with me from home.

I should go back and get the heater, but the roads are still super slick from the 1" of snow* we got on Sat., and I'm trying to wait and see if the sun can help melt things a little before I go out again. Meanwhile, my colleague is giving me %&*( about how cold it is in my office, and why the heat is out at work.

(*OK snow removal: hope it melts, but in the meantime pack it down into ice by driving on it with huge trucks.)
Old 06 January 2014, 04:51 PM

My grandmother is in SW Ohio. At midnight it was + 21 F and now it's -8 F, with the windchill at - 28 F. I know she's already got a touch of cabin fever, and this won't help, but I really hope she lets her neighbor pick up her mail for her.

She was in the same house in 1994, when the temperature was - 20 F, so as long as she stays put and the power stays on (normally the case), she'll be fine.

But I think everybody's going to be a bit happier when the temperatures thaw out a bit.
Old 06 January 2014, 04:54 PM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
We will be going from +4C to -30 C over the course of this one, very rainy, day...

Yowzah!
If the cold doesn't kill us, it'll be the ice covering almost every road, as all the drains seem to be clogged with some white substance.

I woke up to +6 C and the temp climbed to +10C by 11 am...It's now +1C and getting colder quick.
Old 06 January 2014, 05:02 PM

The wind chill here could be as low as the single digits. In Florida.

I've got the next two days off from work, so I'm heading south towards Miami. No sense in me freezing my butt off in this thinly-walled, drafty apartment.

Yesterday it was sunny and 78F.
Old 06 January 2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is true for Washington as well, but California is one of the few places in the country actually experiencing temperatures above normal. The low this morning was in the low 40s and the high is supposed to be in the mid 60s.
Old 06 January 2014, 06:45 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I'm not sure if this is true for Washington as well, but California is one of the few places in the country actually experiencing temperatures above normal.
Nope, not above normal and not really too far below normal (at least, not since early December).

However, all reported Seattle temps are taken at SeaTac, and that can be quite a bit warmer than the rest of the area.

Seaboe
Old 06 January 2014, 06:56 PM

Cold weather + dry indoor heat + allergies = nose bleeds.

Every winter. Even though I use aloe nasal ointment at night.

Of course, my bottle of saline spray is not in my backpack as usual, because I had to take it out before I took the backpack on the plane with me.