snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 13 March 2018, 01:18 PM

Throw Tomato Rex Tillerson fired

Well I didn't see that coming! Article here.

This administration has one helluva turnover rate!

The Secretary of State job is open if anyone wants it.
Old 13 March 2018, 01:54 PM

I think the job has already been filled by Pompeo, the former CIA head.
Old 13 March 2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
The White House said the use of a highly lethal nerve agent “is an outrage” but was not ready to say Russia was responsible.
Color me unsurprised.
Old 13 March 2018, 02:26 PM

Throw Tomato

Local Talk Show Host just reminded me that it was Tillerson who called Trump a moron.

Darth: you're right about Pompeo; the deputy director, Jean Haskell, will now be the top spook. Well after confirmation of course.
Old 13 March 2018, 02:36 PM

And the orange orangutan is a moron. And my apologies to any orangutans who are offended by comparing trump to them.
Old 13 March 2018, 02:51 PM

From the article posted:

Quote:
the State Department, which said in a statement, "The Secretary had every intention of staying because of the critical progress made in national security."

"The secretary did not speak to the President and is unaware of the reason, but he is grateful for the opportunity to serve, and still believes strongly that public service is a noble calling.

"We wish Secretary designate Pompeo well."
Am I the only one reading that last sentence as translating 'Good luck with that, Pompeo; he'll screw you over too.'?
Old 13 March 2018, 04:20 PM

Chicken

Gina Haspel-new CIA director...

Sorry Ms Haspel!

Tillerson will be much happier now
I had to chuckle a bit as I read that line; Trump sounds like he's releasing a bird that he found as a hatchling, raised from same, and really did not want to release it to the wild.

RichardM--I'm telling World Wildlife Fund on you!!
Old 13 March 2018, 04:24 PM

Even though I think this move has been anticipated for a couple of weeks (if not months) now, I still can't help thinking its another distraction to get the media discussion away from the Stormy Daniels story.

~Psihala
(*And, like every other distraction so far, the media will gleefully fall for it.)
Old 13 March 2018, 04:39 PM

Could be; this happens too much for it to be a coincidence. Hope Tillerson didn't get too much macadam in his mouth as he was thrown under the bus.
Old 13 March 2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Gina Haspel-new CIA director...

Sorry Ms Haspel!
After reading this, I have no sympathy for her:

Quote:
rom 2003 to 2005, Gina Haspel was a senior official overseeing a top-secret C.I.A. program that subjected dozens of suspected terrorists to savage interrogations, which included depriving them of sleep, squeezing them into coffins, and forcing water down their throats. In 2002, Haspel was among the C.I.A. officers present at the interrogation of Abu Zubaydah, an Al Qaeda suspect who was tortured so brutally that at one point he appeared to be dead.
Old 13 March 2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Tillerson will be much happier now
I had to chuckle a bit as I read that line; Trump sounds like he's releasing a bird that he found as a hatchling, raised from same, and really did not want to release it to the wild.
Um, he is going to live on a farm in the country. He will be a lot happier there. You know secretaries of state don't really do well in a big city like this, they need room to run.
Old 13 March 2018, 07:24 PM

United States

Problem really is greater than Tillerson.

Trump is aggressively replacing those who do not bend to his will with sycophants. Thus, groupthink will be the order of the day coming from the Executive Branch, and he will begin bypassing the Administrative Branch more than ever. By my estimation, by mid-term elections, he will have poised himself to consider the House and Senate largely irrelevant. He will have a unified White House, and a largely dysfunctional House, and possibly Senate even if the Blue Wave can garner a majority in one of the houses.

Thus, it will justify him centering more power in his wing.

He will be happier, as he will have rid himself of anyone who pisses him off, and he will have convinced the population (probably rightly so) that the House and Senate are incapable of working.

My thinking is that this will all lead to eliminating the Mueller probe. After all, who will stand up to him once Sessions, McMaster, Mattis and Kelly are gone?
Old 13 March 2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Quote:
The White House said the use of a highly lethal nerve agent “is an outrage” but was not ready to say Russia was responsible.
Color me unsurprised.
Which article are you quoting from, here? It's not in either linked above, unless it was edited out since the links were posted.

I assume this is a reference to the recent poisonings in Salisbury, but I haven't seen how it relates to the Tillerson story, or indeed any comment from the USA on the matter so far.
Old 13 March 2018, 11:53 PM

*plays whistle*

Ooompa, loompa, dibble-dee derk,
What do you get when your boss is a jerk?
Ooompa, loompa, dibble-dee dor,
If you're not careful, he'll show you the door!
Old 13 March 2018, 11:55 PM

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I assume this is a reference to the recent poisonings in Salisbury, but I haven't seen how it relates to the Tillerson story, or indeed any comment from the USA on the matter so far.
IIRC, it's another issue on which Trump and Tillerson disagreed. Tillerson agreed with the UK that Russia was likely behind the attack, while Trump is like "Let's not rush to blame this on Russia just yet."
Old 14 March 2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Which article are you quoting from, here? It's not in either linked above, unless it was edited out since the links were posted.
It was in the first article, but that one has been filled out quite a bit. They may have removed that part since many readers had the same reaction you did.
Old 14 March 2018, 12:35 AM

It's being mentioned in articles now, but in the UK press obviously the focus is more on the poisoning than on Tillerson's sacking:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...uk-all-the-way

Quote:
In another potential blow to the UK, Trump dismissed his secretary of state only hours after Rex Tillerson, unaware that his sacking was imminent, issued an unequivocal defence of the UK position, which contrasted with a more ambivalent White House statement issued on Monday.
(eta) Just in time for the edit window, I think - here's a more in-depth analysis of Tillerson's departure, again from a UK perspective:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ecretary-state

Quote:
Week by week, the state department became less relevant in Washington and in the rest of the world, either because it had fewer diplomats to dispatch, or less interest in multilateral diplomacy. It evidently did not have the ear of the president.

That erosion of influence, of what was the world’s mightiest diplomatic institution, is likely to be Tillerson’s most lasting legacy. And very few, if any, believe it will be reversed by his successor.

Last edited by Richard W; 14 March 2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 14 March 2018, 01:05 AM

Icon07

Aw, shucks, I was looking forward to another John Goodman appearance on SNL.
Old 14 March 2018, 07:06 AM

Apart from the reasons for the fireing, I'm - again - baffled by the stile. Normally, when ending the service of one of your senior cabinett members, you would discuss that move with him in private, and then jointly announce it to the press, with a speech thanking him/her for the service, and a speech by him/her thanking for the opportunity.

I believe Trump is the only modern head of gouvernment who thinks it fitting to announce the change on twitter while the senior officia is just stepping from a plane, with the 'thank you for your service' very much an afterthought in the message.

That Tillerson and his staff still find the courtesy to say things like "The secretary did not speak to the President and is unaware of the reason, but he is grateful for the opportunity to serve, and still believes strongly that public service is a noble calling" is astounding.
Old 14 March 2018, 07:37 AM

Default State Department spokesman fired for statement contradicting White House on Tillerson

The White House fired a top aide to former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson Tuesday for suggesting in an unusual statement that Tillerson learned of his own replacement via Twitter, according to a source familiar with the matter.

Less than an hour after President Trump announced his decision to replace Tillerson with CIA Director Mike Pompeo, State Department spokesman Steve Goldstein told reporters the following:

"The Secretary had every intention of staying because of the critical progress made in national security. He will miss his colleagues at the State Department and the foreign ministers he has worked with throughout the world."
Goldstein added Tillerson "did not speak to the President and is unaware of the reason" for his firing. "But he is grateful for the opportunity to serve, and still believes strongly that public service is a noble calling," he said.

In a statement following his dismissal, Goldstein said he was happy to have served.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...llerson-firing