snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > War, What Is It Good For?

Old 20 July 2014, 03:53 PM

I recommend Chris Rock's documentary Good Hair. It taught me a thing or two.
Old 20 July 2014, 03:55 PM

Last night (when I was a bit fuzzy from pain meds.) I found an official statement from the Army spokes person, claiming that the standards had to do with safety of equipment use etc. I would assume that this meant for the most part things used while deployed in a war zone. I can no longer figure out where I saw that link, but I did find
Quote:
Army officials initially said that the new regulations simply clarified existing ones by specifically describing hairstyles that were prohibited because of a need for uniformity among troops and because of safety concerns. The Army also said those new regulations had been cleared by a focus group that included black women in the Army, but it declined to give their names or make them available for comment.
Emphasis mine.
It appears in the link in the OP regarding Hagals call for a review. It is not a direct quote, but it is all I could find. I spent about an hour clicking links and reading this stuff last night, and I can't seem to recreate the trail.

Spanked by Erwins whose google foo I bow to. I wonder if spanking is allowed?
Old 20 July 2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I recommend Chris Rock's documentary Good Hair. It taught me a thing or two.
It is really excellent.
Old 20 July 2014, 04:08 PM

Not a black woman, but I have very thick, coarse hair, and when I first entered the Army, it was also very long (as in, almost to my waist.) I was braiding up my hair in ways that would've made Princess Leia from Star Wars look like a rank amateur. What I quickly figured out worked best for keeping my hair 'contained' (one of my big challenges was that hanks of hair would work free and get me yelled at) was to braid my hair while wet, and pull the braids tight. I actually did three--one on the left side, one on the right, and one down the middle, then I braided those three braids together and pinned them in a bun. I got good enough at this that I could get it done in five minutes. It did mean at the end of the day, my hair would still be damp and kinked up funny, but my hair stayed in place all day, which was what I was going for.

And even this garnered some...attention. Several of my superiors saw this hairstyle, and while it stayed in a hat well enough, they questioned the helmet and gas mask. So they had me demonstrate both, and when it was determined it didn't interfere with either....they all kinda shrugged and said, "Well....she can still wear headgear with no problems, so I guess we'll allow it." (Understand this was the late 80's/early 90's.) But others not in my unit would see it and question it, and eventually I got sick of the hassle, so I cut my hair shorter. I still needed to braid it and pin it up, but it wasn't quite so elaborate. (One braid and a bun, instead of three and a bun.) But I still had the problem of my hair working loose, unless I did it up wet. Coarse hair is just a blasted challenge to hold in. I tried cutting it short enough to be above the collar, but because my hair is so thick, it sort of 'poofed' out, which *still* got me yelled at. I just could not win at hairstyles when I was in the Army.

Magdalene

Last edited by Magdalene; 20 July 2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 20 July 2014, 04:14 PM

Because of safety concerns... Might be what the Army says, but it often is not the case. Consider regulations on tattoos, which were also tightened with this most recent instruction. Barring potentially offensive tattoos, how could tattoos possibly degrade combat effectiveness?

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think the Army means to be racist, it's just that the military in general is a bit narrow when it comes to inclusion as it tries to pigeon-hole large numbers of people into some vague concept of professional or conservative "military" appearance.
Old 20 July 2014, 04:19 PM

Right. And it's excluding people in a racially biased way. It's unsurprising, but it should be fixed.
Old 21 July 2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me, no really View Post
Different country, and different culture and all, but I have seen dreads plenty on white people, and hardly ever on black people.
Yes, same here.
Old 21 July 2014, 01:01 PM

I don't think anyone's arguing that only black people wear dreads, or that any of the disallowed hairdos are exclusively for or exclusively worn by black folk.

The issue people are raising is that the new rules allow some of the most high-maintenance looks for black hair and disallow some of the lowest-maintenance looks, one of which happens to be dreads.

Also, there are different styles of dreads, and some are far more controlled, "tidier" (for lack of a better word), and easier to pull into a knot or ponytail or braid, than others. These, for example:

as opposed to these:

ETA: And I third the recommendation of Good Hair. It's informative and entertaining.
Old 21 July 2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
A black classmate of my very curly-haired daughter once confused her thoroughly by asking her whether she used "black shampoo or white shampoo."
I LOL'd this weekend when my sister called me to see if it was safe for my niece to continue to use my daughter's "black" shampoo. "Did it make her hair greasy?" "No, it made it really manageable and soft." "Well, I guess it's safe for her to use it."
Old 21 July 2014, 01:28 PM

A friend of a friend once noticed that her older kid, whose dad was black, never got lice, but her younger kid, whose dad was white, did (FOAF was white). She guessed it might be the hair products that were keeping the lice away, so she started using them on the younger kid's straight, fine hair. The results were not good -- she still got lice, but her hair was incredibly oily.

Turns out black kids in North America are at less risk for lice -- although not immune -- because the lice predominant here are evolved to hold on to Caucasian hair.