snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 13 May 2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
Maybe it's the lack of facilities at rest areas. I don't think many other countries banned commercial services (like restaurants and gas stations) from rest areas to protect local businesses.
In France, the rest areas have restaurants where you can drink wine with your dinner. I'm American and I think that's weird.
Old 13 May 2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post

Even as a keen shooter, I find this weird. Can't see any reason for it.
I live in Texas and my dad is a firearms instructor and not once in my entire 52 years have I seen anyone openly carrying a firearm on the street.
Old 13 May 2014, 02:28 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
And she thought the lack of large wild herd animals was really weird.
She didn't go to Yellowstone, then. Or did she not consider the bison wild?

Seaboe
Old 13 May 2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
The gun thing freaked me out... a lot.
The OP mentioned open carry. Did you really see people openly carrying guns? Or were you freaked out at knowing there are so many guns here, and that people can carry concealed weapons? Actually seeing open carrying of weapons s tends to freak a lot of us out as well, but it's pretty rare, and definitely not legal everywhere here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
This reminds me of an exchange student I once met from Kenya. She got incredibly annoyed by being called African American all the time.

And she thought the lack of large wild herd animals was really weird.
I used to work with someone from Kenya, and we hung out sometimes. She never remarked on either of those things. "African American" contains an implicit assumption that may not be true--that she had made a permanent move--but it's not really an inappropriate term for an African person in America.
Old 13 May 2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I live in Texas and my dad is a firearms instructor and not once in my entire 52 years have I seen anyone openly carrying a firearm on the street.
I used to be freaked out the first few times I was close enough to a police officer to see that he had a gun, right there (I'd never seen a gun in real life before).
Old 13 May 2014, 02:43 PM

I have a friend who really, really dislikes being called African American (being a Canadian of Caribbean descent). I think he might dislike African-Canadian even more, since it's still inaccurate and sounds clunky.
Old 13 May 2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
She didn't go to Yellowstone, then. Or did she not consider the bison wild?
This was in western Oregon. We're a ways away from Yellowstone. She was from pretty close to the Tanzania border, where that big park is (whose name escapes me at the moment), so she was used to seeing herds of wildebeest, zebra, eland, and gazelles on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I used to work with someone from Kenya, and we hung out sometimes. She never remarked on either of those things. "African American" contains an implicit assumption that may not be true--that she had made a permanent move--but it's not really an inappropriate term for an African person in America.
Well, her issue with it was apparently in large part because she liked her home country.
Old 13 May 2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
I used to be freaked out the first few times I was close enough to a police officer to see that he had a gun, right there (I'd never seen a gun in real life before).
Some of the heavy weaponry I sometimes see the NYPD carrying around still kind of freaks me out. It's really surprising to just be walking along and then bam, assault rifle.
Old 13 May 2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
The OP mentioned open carry. Did you really see people openly carrying guns? Or were you freaked out at knowing there are so many guns here, and that people can carry concealed weapons? Actually seeing open carrying of weapons s tends to freak a lot of us out as well, but it's pretty rare, and definitely not legal everywhere here..
I have seen someone from another country somewhat freaked out at seeing a rifle displayed for sale at the local yard sale days. (I'm not sure whether this is still legal here, at least without a lot of associated paperwork; New York changed its laws recently.)

It's not at all common around here (I'm not even sure if it's legal) to see open carry of pistols, except by police; but it's fairly common to see hunting rifles and shotguns -- not carried into the shops, but in people's vehicles, or being carried by someone walking down a country road.

It depends a very great deal where in the USA you are. There are plenty of areas where that would be a very unusual sight.
Old 13 May 2014, 04:26 PM

It's not particularly unusual here. I've had people come into our gas station with pistols strapped on. Which cracks me up because they are supposed to be secured in the trunk while in the car. The people doing it? Yeah, I know these people a bit, and they are exactly the people I'd rather didn't have access to weapons. *sigh* We had an incident in another town 10 miles away where there was a traffic dispute that both ended up getting their guns out and one of them was killed. Stupid, stupid.

ETA: This happened in the middle of a smallish town at a car wash. The guy who was killed had his kids and wife in the car while he had his OK corral moment with the other guy.
Old 13 May 2014, 04:26 PM

I've only visited the USA once (Orlando in 1996) and I remember that the first person I saw when I got off the plane was a man wearing a handgun in a holster - quite an intimidating welcome for someone who had never seen a gun before.

ETA:
Quote:
Actually seeing open carrying of weapons s tends to freak a lot of us out as well, but it's pretty rare, and definitely not legal everywhere here.
Do the police not routinely carry guns where you live?
Old 13 May 2014, 04:29 PM

That's true, thorny locust, I have lived in places where it was legal and not unheard of to see a gun rack in a pick up truck window.

GaryM, I assume said person was a police officer of some kind? Even before 9/11 people couldn't carry guns in the secure areas of airports.

The most intimidated I've felt by people with guns was when I was a kid and we flew into Heraklion, on Crete. The airport was full of guys in military uniforms holding large automatic weapons in front of them. I felt like we were in a war zone or something.

Last edited by erwins; 13 May 2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 13 May 2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I never saw anyone (aside from law enforcement) openly carrying a firearm (unless they were on their way to go hunting or something like that) until I moved to Oklahoma. I don't know if it is the change in culture or just the change in the political climate, but I see it quite often, here. And it still freaks me the heck out when I see it. Also, "Dude, you're renting movies. Do you really need a gun for that?"
Old 13 May 2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
We had an incident in another town 10 miles away where there was a traffic dispute that both ended up getting their guns out and one of them was killed. Stupid, stupid.

ETA: This happened in the middle of a smallish town at a car wash. The guy who was killed had his kids and wife in the car while he had his OK corral moment with the other guy.
We had one of those too, that killed a young man, a new dad, in my theater group. Road rage over some minor incident, both armed, both too afraid or angry to back down. Still, at least they got to assert their rights!
Old 13 May 2014, 04:43 PM

Yes, apparently pumping gas and buying slushies in the middle of the day requires hand gun protection.
Old 13 May 2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
GaryM, I assume said person was a police officer of some kind? Even before 9/11 people couldn't carry guns in the secure areas of airports.
He was wearing a uniform so I took him to be a police officer or security guard or similar. It was just surprising after sixteen years of my never having seen anyone with a gun. I wouldn't be surprised to see armed police at a British airport these days though.
Old 13 May 2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
There are many showers here [ours included] that you can't adjust the water pressure on.
The shower thing reminded me of something I find "weird" about other countries. Every hotel in the US I've stayed at provides small bars of soap that you can use during your stay, or take home with you, or just leave there if you don't want to use them. In some hotels I've stayed at in other countries there's just a liquid soap dispenser in the shower, like the kind you'd find by the sinks in a public toilet*. I'm sure that saves the hotel a little money by eliminating the possibility that guests might take any unused soap home with them, while still providing it for them to use during their stay.

*And on that note, I'm a little surprised that the fact that we use euphemisms like "bathroom" and "restroom" didn't make the list.
Old 13 May 2014, 05:35 PM

I seem to remember seeing footage of armed police/military(with smg's) in European airports after the attacks at the Vienna and Roman airports in the mid 80's. Anyone know when they discontinued that practice?
Old 13 May 2014, 05:40 PM

I think the body wash is just a more economical and environmentally-friendly option than multiple soaps you open and use just a couple of times.
Old 13 May 2014, 06:00 PM

When I stay in a hotel and don't use up the soap I try to wrap it up or put it in a plastic baggie and take it with me because it feels so wasteful to just use a bar of soap a couple of times and throw it away. I've even taken to hiding the partially used soap when I go out for the day because otherwise the maids will throw it away.