snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 04 May 2014, 01:36 AM

Ambulance I have rhabdomyolysis

This isn't something I'd usually do, but I'm asking for vibes. Here's the condensed version (really!)

I've been diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis - a condition where the muscles break down and release proteins into the body. Basically, I lost all the strength in my upper arms, upper legs, and trunk (back and stomach). Over the course of a few weeks, I got worse until I finally went to the ER. Simplified, the measurable levels of these proteins is normally 250, mine were 71,000 (currently I'm down to 1290). I was in the hospital for 16 days and at one point, due to large amounts of IV fluids used to flush the proteins, I gained over 60 pounds and my whole body swelled, which eliminated any movement I had retained - I could lift my arms about an inch and couldn't bend them far enough even to touch my face. They never determined exactly why I got it and after numerous tests have chalked it up to "a virus".

I have been in rehab for the last 5 weeks now regaining my ability to do things like feed myself, dress, and walk. It's going well (hey, I can finally get on snopes again), but I'm still in almost constant pain (the muscles all are being rebuilt) and I've had to postpone my wedding, which was supposed to be next Saturday. I'm feeling a bit down, especially since I seem to have had a small setback this week and am actually feeling somewhat weaker than I was last week. I haven't been home in almost 2 months - I miss my cats and my things and just normal life in general. I know it could be worse - at least I will most likely fully recover in time, but for now I could just use some general encouragement, vibes, thoughts and anything else you guys would like to shove my way.

I'll respond as I can - it take a bit of effort to do stuff still.

Thanks, Denise.

Last edited by NeeCD; 04 May 2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04 May 2014, 01:44 AM

Best wishes for a speedy rest of your recovery!

and an attempt to send you virtual purrs from the cats here present.
Old 04 May 2014, 01:53 AM

Wow, that's a lot to recover from, emotionally as well as physically. I'm so glad your prognosis is good, that must have been really frightening.
Old 04 May 2014, 02:27 AM

I`m sad you have to go through this, and relieved that it isn`t something you have to deal with permanently!

Canuck vibes sent!
Old 04 May 2014, 02:33 AM

Oh, my goodness. I've never heard of this, and it sounds terrifying. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend! Vibes on the way from California - rest up and let your body revive!
Old 04 May 2014, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Best wishes for a speedy rest of your recovery!

and an attempt to send you virtual purrs from the cats here present.
Purrs are always welcome . I'm having a home visit with the occupational therapist on Wednesday, and seeing the kitties is what I'm most looking forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Wow, that's a lot to recover from, emotionally as well as physically. I'm so glad your prognosis is good, that must have been really frightening.
For a few weeks prior, I'd been having muscle pain that was getting progressively worse. I started needing help to stand up from the couch or a chair. Acknowledging that I no longer had the strength in my arms to just push myself into a sitting position was probably one of the most scary things I ever did - I finally knew something was really wrong and it wasn't just some random pain that was going away on its own*.

*I had been to a doctor a few days before, but was only diagnosed at that time with extremely low vitamin D. The weakness came a couple of weeks after the muscle pain.
Old 04 May 2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
Oh, my goodness. I've never heard of this, and it sounds terrifying. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend! Vibes on the way from California - rest up and let your body revive!
I hadn't either. Rhabdo is usually the result of an extended crushing injury - like when an elderly person falls and doesn't get found right away. It is also apparently a side effect of Cross-fit when someone overdoes it. Another cause is heavy drug or alcohol use, so you can imagine all the questions I got, since I was obviously not crushed or particularly fit!
Old 04 May 2014, 03:10 AM

Hello Kitty

Denise, take all the vibes I can possibly send, and then some. And I bet your kittehs will be as glad to see you as you are to see them. If you need a dose of purring or butt wiggles while you are in rehab, don't be afraid to ask your therapist if you can get a visit from a therapy cat or dog. It might help to lift your spirits until you can get back home to your own furbabies.
Old 04 May 2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeeCD View Post
For a few weeks prior, I'd been having muscle pain that was getting progressively worse. I started needing help to stand up from the couch or a chair. Acknowledging that I no longer had the strength in my arms to just push myself into a sitting position was probably one of the most scary things I ever did - I finally knew something was really wrong and it wasn't just some random pain that was going away on its own.
This really resonated with me. 20-some years ago, I had a similar problem. (We never figured out what it was, but it largely went away on its own.) I remember that when I couldn't push myself back from the table, I occasionally fantasized turning into the Hulk and turning the table over.
Old 04 May 2014, 03:14 PM

Hello Kitty

Vibes! Ohioan cat purrs! I second the suggestion to ask for a therapy critter to come spend time with you. It is especially hard for animal lovers to deal with both an illness and a separation from their pets.
Old 04 May 2014, 03:16 PM

Icon105

You poor thing! I am glad they at least seem to know what you're dealing with. Many gentle hugs.
Old 04 May 2014, 03:18 PM

the good news is they have a treatment that seems to be working -- thats the hardest part -- good luck in your recovery!
Old 04 May 2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
Denise, take all the vibes I can possibly send, and then some. And I bet your kittehs will be as glad to see you as you are to see them. If you need a dose of purring or butt wiggles while you are in rehab, don't be afraid to ask your therapist if you can get a visit from a therapy cat or dog. It might help to lift your spirits until you can get back home to your own furbabies.
They do have therapy animals that come through, but it's not the same (although the goats were sooo cute). I've even been told I can bring my cats here, but I just can't imagine that would be good for the cats (they're not mellow anything-goes types).
Old 04 May 2014, 06:25 PM

Wow, geez, glad you're feeling better and sorry you had to go through all that.
Old 04 May 2014, 09:53 PM

Jees, ouch, wow... I was just feeling sorry for myself because of a sore knee! I'm glad it's something you will recover from - hang in there...
Old 05 May 2014, 01:29 AM

Okay, I have to ask..
Therapy goats? You have to tell us more. Any other interesting animals? Here we just have boring old dogs and cats. Though they're cute too!
ps I know we're mostly a vibes board, but I prayed for you today at church too. Couldn't hurt.
Old 05 May 2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
Okay, I have to ask..
Therapy goats? You have to tell us more. Any other interesting animals? Here we just have boring old dogs and cats. Though they're cute too!
ps I know we're mostly a vibes board, but I prayed for you today at church too. Couldn't hurt.
They brought in 3 goats and had them in the common area. One was just a baby and was wearing a little denim jumper. I wish I had pictures - if they do it again I'll get some.
Old 05 May 2014, 12:10 PM

It looks like there are some support groups online. You might find it helpful to talk with a group of people who truly understand what you are going through.
Old 05 May 2014, 01:14 PM

Holy moly. Wishing you all the best Denise! Gentle hugs xxx
Old 05 May 2014, 01:29 PM

That sounds incredibly scary. I'm glad that you got a diagnosis and are on the mend. I hope you can be home with your furry family soon.