snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 28 April 2014, 04:12 PM

How'd you catch 'em?
Old 28 April 2014, 04:22 PM

Baseball

I hate cheating and have no sympathy for cheaters**.

Good on you Ellestar for dealing with it.

**I spent two years of my career as the commander of a training unit, and in the hundreds of students who passed through the training system in my watch, we had three cheating scandals. In the end, I failed one and had two retrain and go through the exam again. I disliked it because in the end, I could not be certain that they knew what they were doing. And in almost every thing we do we are talking soldier safety. I needed that confidence.
Old 28 April 2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellestar View Post

I caught three cheaters on their last (online) exam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
And in almost every thing we do we are talking soldier safety. I needed that confidence.
The Ontario Boaters lisence exam can be completed online -- you just need a person to "dminister" the exam to swear that you did not cheat.

A friend of mine asked me to administer for them and then said -- it wont be long cause i can just look up the answers online ---

i refused -- but they got it anyway -- and they no longer talk to me cause i am a suck.
Old 28 April 2014, 06:12 PM

Waiting 3 weeks for a less than $1.00 part to arrive, only to find inside the nice, neat cardboard box - a crushed part.

BW
Old 28 April 2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
IME, that's usually caused by a cheap phone.
I really have no idea what the problem is. It echoes when I call from my phone or my daughter's phone (both on Verizon but different models neither what I would consider cheap, but I could be wrong), but it doesn't echo when I call from either my husband's or son's phones (both on AT&T). My phone doesn't echo when I call anyone else, but I don't call anyone else, on a landline, who lives in that area.
Old 28 April 2014, 06:40 PM

I meant their home phones. ETA: That's what it's been when it's happened to me in the past (as in, the past when we all had landlines). I don't know why it would happen when you call from some phones but not others.
Old 28 April 2014, 07:43 PM

Baseball

A little thing annoying me: using pop culture references to make your point in work related communications.

I have been given the recent journal for our military/industry community. In it, one of the articles that deserved front page announcement is about lessons for our military and defence industry that we can glean from the Walking Dead.

I've read the article. I suspect that I'm only getting about 50% of the message.

It takes some knowledge of the show to understand the role of "the Governor" and his ability to lead, and understand the parallels between the show and the post 9/11 society that the author is asserting exists. I don't doubt that this is a good article (it is hard to get published in this journal, I know first hand). However, it is annoying that I must stay on top of pop culture in order to be informed enough to understand what message is being said.
Old 28 April 2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
A little thing annoying me: using pop culture references to make your point in work related communications.
In general, be careful with pop references. They should be particularly well-known or fairly well-known but extremely apt to be appropriate when addressed to a general audience. "He's such a Rimmer," will be totally misunderstood by all those unfamiliar with Red Dwarf, which is about 98% of the general population. At a Sci-Fi convention, it might be appropriate. Even Harry Potter references require some care: "muggle" is usually fine, but a reference to 'Mollywobbles' (a very particular and amusing reference from one of the books, but not in the movie) will come off as simply obscure at best.
Old 28 April 2014, 07:59 PM

Given the highly segmented nature of pop culture today, I'd avoid it if possible. I suppose there might be some situation where the the only truly apt metaphor is something from pop culture, but it seems like an unlikely situation to me.
Old 28 April 2014, 08:03 PM

Baseball

I hear you. Star Trek references are common where I work. But they don't go in the work communications. We don't go asking for a couple of Red-Shirts to go help set up some chairs.

It annoyed me that in this article, I want to agree with the author's point of view, but because I have never seen an episode of the Walking Dead, I can't tell if I agree with his point of view.
Old 28 April 2014, 08:22 PM

We have exactly two Dr Who fans on our 20+ person dragon boat team. One of them is always making references that not even the other Dr Who fan gets. Its like this 'bla bla weeping angels bla bla bla'. Looks around, 'nobody got that, oh I forgot that none of you watch Dr Who. Hey Ryan, I said bla bla weeping angels bla bla bla..'. Ryan gives her a Mona Lisa, clearly unimpressed.
Old 28 April 2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
How'd you catch 'em?
Two of them were next to each other on the roll, so when I read the second one's test answers, I wondered what was wrong with me that I didn't hit the "save and next" when I was done with the previous test because the answers were so similar, downright identical in some places. They even got the questions wrong in the same way (addressed one theory and not another when the question specified a specific theory, for example).

It was blatant. I just couldn't miss it if I had tried.
Old 29 April 2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Has it occured to you that you are determinedly insisting, as a price of having you on speaking terms with them at all, on keeping your parents on the phone for repeated long periods of time during which you know they can't hear what you're saying? Try that one from the other way around. There is indeed something to be done; don't call them from places from which you know they can't hear you.

Also, as a person who lives in what some consider to be the boondocks, if you find the road too uninteresting to pay attention to it, kindly pull over to make your phone call; the emergency responders would really rather not have to respond to your accident. Lots of things can unexpectedly be in the road in places that don't see heavy city traffic.
I would like to say that I may have misspoke in my original post as your response was more harsh than I was expecting. I almost never put it as a "price of speaking terms" kind of thing- that was literally once in the past year and and a half that I have been calling them, and that's because I was in a really pissy mood that day. The fact of the matter is that I am driving long distances on those days and often am stuck in traffic, so I don't get home until 630/7, which doesn't leave much time before I have to go to bed. So realistically, if I don't speak to them while driving, I will most likely not be calling on those days. And I am not forcing them to stay on the phone- some days we do cut it short because they are driving or are almost at home, so it is more a comment that they are making. Also, I disagree that I am on the phone because I find the road "uninteresting". I am still paying attention to the road and driving carefully, and often I am sitting in a fair amount of traffic anyway and by the time it thins out, I am usually done the conversation, which we conduct solely by bluetooth connection.
Old 29 April 2014, 05:56 PM

Part of a post I saw on a message board today: "The nature of comedy is such that if someone isn't pissed [angry], it probably wasn't funny."

I really hate people who:

(A) Think they are an authority on humor
(B) Use "comedy" as a flimsy excuse to justify jerkish/bullying behavior
Old 29 April 2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Part of a post I saw on a message board today: "The nature of comedy is such that if someone isn't pissed [angry], it probably wasn't funny."

I really hate people who:

(A) Think they are an authority on humor
Is the quote attributed to a well-known, successful comedian? In that case, I think it would be reasonable to consider him/her such.

Quote:
(B) Use "comedy" as a flimsy excuse to justify jerkish/bullying behavior
There is a difference between that and pointing out faults and foibles. That has been part of comedy at least going back to Aristophanes.
Old 29 April 2014, 06:33 PM

No, it wasn't someone quoting another person. It was in response to being told that their "bit" could potentially anger/offend a general audience, and their response was basically "So what? I'm being funny."

Except they're not a professional, they're just some random person who thinks they can use that as an excuse.
Old 29 April 2014, 06:33 PM

Spit Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
This sounds like it was in part inspired by Mel Brooks.

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.
Mel Brooks, The 2,000 Year Old Man (1961)
Old 29 April 2014, 06:36 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet that the guy Cervus is talking about is not as funny as Mel Brooks.
Old 29 April 2014, 06:50 PM

UEL, I agree that pop culture references in general can exclude people who don't get it. On the other hand, I don't think an article of the kind you describe is really the same thing. The whole point of that type of article is "what (unrelated thing) can teach us about (our profession)." It's a way to make a topic interesting, topical, and entertaining to people who are familiar with that thing. In continuing legal education seminars, for example, I've seen ones centered on golf, movies, and TV shows. It's not a flaw of communication so much as the choice of a topic that will be extra accessible to some, but less accessible to others (and The Walking Dead is incredibly popular).
Old 29 April 2014, 08:39 PM

Back to the comedy discussion, there are certain styles of comedy that could potentially anger/annoy certain people, for example a political comic like Lewis Black* probably angers some people who support the politicians he's making fun of. I doubt that's the type of joke Cervus is talking about, though. It's certainly not true that comedy always has to piss someone off or it's probably not funny -- I can't see any reasonable person being offended by Mike Birbiglia, for one.

*Didn't he have a bit about being invited to perform at a White House function during the Bush administration, to which he says something like "Really? Have they even seen my act?"
Closed Thread