snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 05 May 2018, 04:23 PM

Baseball

1. Guessing Wilt Chamberlain.

2. One I know. Gilligan's Island

3. Cowboy?

4. Not a clue

5. Is it Disney's Fantasia dancing brooms scene?

6. Was it Kitty Genovese, or something like that?

7. I have absolutely no clue.

Not a good week for me. 1 for sure, 1 likely and a bunch of guesses.
Old 08 May 2018, 10:24 AM

Tuesday, once again. Here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Before Russell Westbrook, who was the only player ever to average a triple-double over an entire NBA season?
Oscar Robertson did it in his second year as a pro, though he came close in each of his first four seasons.

2. In what TV show's first-season intro can a U.S. flag be seen flying at half-staff, since it was filmed at Honolulu's Ala Wai Yacht Club the week of the Kennedy assassination?
The somber flag is visible as the SS Minnow pulls out of harbor in the original Gilligan's Island credits. Maybe that's why the Skipper was distracted and steered everybody right into that storm.

3. What is the evident occupation of "Vegas Vic," the neon sign mascot who's been a symbol for Las Vegas since 1951?
Vic is the big neon cowboy of our dreams.

4. The "diethyl" form of what class of organic compounds was once used as a solvent and an anesthetic?
Ether is just one of many ethers, but it's the one weirdos get addicted to.

5. What beloved 1936 work of classical music has, as one of its title characters, a member of the Vladimir Lenin All-Union Pioneer Organization?
In Peter and the Wolf, Peter (flute) is a member of a Soviet youth organization. The wolf (French horns) is not.

6. The "bystander effect" in psychology is sometimes named after what Queens woman, murdered in March 1964?
The diffused responsibility of large groups of bystanders is sometimes called Kitty Genovese syndrome, after a women famously killed in front of her own apartment building.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these albums? Brain Drain by the Ramones, Diamond Dogs by David Bowie, The First Time by Kelsea Bellerini, The Kick Inside by Kate Bush, Moving Pictures by Rush, Ride the Lightning by Metallica, Sittin' In by Loggins and Messina, They Only Come Out at Night by the Edgar Winter Group, Tuesday Night Music Club by Sheryl Crow, The Velvet Underground & Nico.
Each of these records has a song named in honor of a well-known novel. Respectively: "Pet Sematary," "1984," "Peter Pan," "Wuthering Heights," "Tom Sawyer," "For Whom the Bell Tolls," "Houe at Pooh Corner," "Frankenstein," "Leaving Las Vegas," and "Venus in Furs." How did I leave Iron Maiden off this list when they have approximately four hundred of these?

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What action might be accompanied by a Mexican saying "bueno," a Spaniard saying "diga," or an Italian saying "pronto"?

2. What kind of undifferentiated plant tissue can be apical, lateral, or intercalary?

3. Despite today's Apple-Google rivalry, two Google-owned properties were default pre-installed apps on the original iPhone. Name either.

4. The album name and cover of the Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime, with Mike Watt driving exactly 55 miles per hour, was a jab at a 1984 hit by what rocker?

5. The "classical period" of what ancient civilization revolved around the rivalry between the cities of Tikal and Calakmul?

6. The Basic Educational Opportunity Grants rolled out by the U.S. government in 1965 were named for what Rhode Island senator?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these world capitals, listed in this order? Astana, Podgorica, Bishkek, Harare, Maputo, Malabo, Banjul, N'Djamena, Bandar Seri Begawan, Kinshasa, Bujumbura, Santo Domingo, Dushanbe, Jakarta, Ashgabat, Oslo.

Enjoy!
Old 08 May 2018, 10:43 AM

Whalephant

#4 is I Can't Drive 55 - Sammy Hagar.

#5 is The Mayans.

#6- Pell?
Old 08 May 2018, 10:55 AM

1: Answer a phone

3: Youtube

6: Pell

-- Karyn
Old 08 May 2018, 10:57 AM

1. What action might be accompanied by a Mexican saying "bueno," a Spaniard saying "diga," or an Italian saying "pronto"?

Going from the Italian expression, the action is answering the phone.

5. The "classical period" of what ancient civilization revolved around the rivalry between the cities of Tikal and Calakmul?

Guessing: Inka

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these world capitals, listed in this order? Astana, Podgorica, Bishkek, Harare, Maputo, Malabo, Banjul, N'Djamena, Bandar Seri Begawan, Kinshasa, Bujumbura, Santo Domingo, Dushanbe, Jakarta, Ashgabat, Oslo.

Being the birthplace of the Secretery General of the United Nations. Or something completly different.
Old 08 May 2018, 11:45 AM

1. Answering the phone.

2. I admit, I was terrible in my botany class.

3. YouTube and Maps.

4. Sammy Hagar.

5. Mayan.

6. Pell, first name is escaping me at the moment.

7. I got nothing.
Old 08 May 2018, 12:55 PM

Whalephant

Quote:

2. I admit, I was terrible in my botany class.
I did fine but I'm drawing a complete blank. Now if he'd asked us to key out a plant I'd be fine.
Old 08 May 2018, 02:16 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

A smile? This question makes no sense to me.
Quote:

2. What kind of undifferentiated plant tissue can be apical, lateral, or intercalary?
I might not even do as well as last week; I'm certainly off to a roaring start. Chlorophyll?
Quote:

3. Despite today's Apple-Google rivalry, two Google-owned properties were default pre-installed apps on the original iPhone. Name either.
Flickr, Maps. Maybe one of those is right.
Quote:

4. The album name and cover of the Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime, with Mike Watt driving exactly 55 miles per hour, was a jab at a 1984 hit by what rocker?
Sammy Hagar? I can't drive 55.
Quote:

Persia. In reality, I have no clue.
Quote:

6. The Basic Educational Opportunity Grants rolled out by the U.S. government in 1965 were named for what Rhode Island senator?
Well, it wasn't Cecil Rhodes. I think his name was Pell.
Quote:

If they hadn't thrown in Santo Domingo, Jakarta & Oslo, I could've said I'd never heard of any of them. I'm not even going to try to answer this.

Seaboe
Old 08 May 2018, 03:20 PM

answering the telephone

meristem

Sammy Hagar

Maya

Claiborne Pell
Old 08 May 2018, 03:31 PM

Baseball 1, maybe 2 this week.

1. when I was in Lebanon, I had an Italian teammate who answered his phone with "pronto". I'm going with that.

2. Roots?

3. Googlemaps?

4. I dunno. Gino Vanelli (black cars)

5. Guessing Indian.

6. Was this the Montgomery GI Bill?

7. I could not even think of anything witty.
Old 08 May 2018, 04:12 PM

First off, a correction to Mr. Jennings: Peter is portrayed by the strings; the flute is the bird.

1. What action might be accompanied by a Mexican saying "bueno," a Spaniard saying "diga," or an Italian saying "pronto"? Hmm.... something soccer (football)-related?

2. What kind of undifferentiated plant tissue can be apical, lateral, or intercalary? The only thing I can think of is cellulose.

3. Despite today's Apple-Google rivalry, two Google-owned properties were default pre-installed apps on the original iPhone. Name either. Pretty sure YouTube is one.

4. The album name and cover of the Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime, with Mike Watt driving exactly 55 miles per hour, was a jab at a 1984 hit by what rocker? Must be Sammy Hagar.

5. The "classical period" of what ancient civilization revolved around the rivalry between the cities of Tikal and Calakmul? Mayan?

6. The Basic Educational Opportunity Grants rolled out by the U.S. government in 1965 were named for what Rhode Island senator? Pell?

No idea.

ETA: Ooh, I like UEL's answer for #1.
Old 15 May 2018, 10:18 AM

Happy Tuesday. Time for ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Answering the phone. Hoy-hoy?

Plant growth takes place in cells called "meristem."

Google Maps was a default app, and so was YouTube...until Apple-Google squabbles scotched that relationship.

The Minutemen's masterpiece was inspired by the fact that they thought Sammy Hagar's boast "I Can't Drive 55" was a pretty dumb kind of rebellion.

The Mayans. I'm Team Calakmul all the way, btw.

Pell Grants are named for the late Claiborne Pell. In New England, when you're born with a name like "Claiborne Pell," they just automatically make you a senator when you turn fifty.

Those are the most recent world capitals to change their names, in reverse chronological order. I went this far to get all the way back to Batavia->Jakarta and Christiania->Oslo, and I hope I didn't accidentally leave any out. I did skip Seoul and Pyongyang's Japanese occupation-era names, whatever those were.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What video game brand takes its name from the fact that it was originally a shoe-leather company founded in Hartford in 1932?

2. The Great Continental Divide forms much of the border between which two Canadian provinces?

3. Who was the only one of golf's mid-century "Big Three" who was not American?

4. What is the actual (non-seafood) main ingredient in Rocky Mountain oysters?

5. Styx, Nix, Kerberos, and Hydra are four of the five moons of what celestial object?

6. Who is the only James Bond actor from the 007 film series never to drive an Aston Martin on-screen?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these performers? Ernest Borgnine, Alison Brie, Isla Fisher, Bill Irwin, Hugh Jackman, Penn Jillette, Willard Scott, Jussie Smollett, Steve-O, Eric Stonestreet, David Strathairn.

Enjoy!
Old 15 May 2018, 10:27 AM

2. The Great Continental Divide forms much of the border between which two Canadian provinces?

British Columbia and Alberta

Testicles

5. Styx, Nix, Kerberos, and Hydra are four of the five moons of what celestial object?

Pluto
Old 15 May 2018, 10:47 AM

Not doing well this week!

1. I play enough games that I should surely know this... er... the famous 1932 Hartford Leatherworks, makers of the PsychoKiller Sneakers I - IV series? Does the "soft" in Ubisoft actually refer to soft leather rather than software as one might think? Maybe leather manufacture involves Valves somehow? I'm sure it must be obvious but I'm drawing a blank.

2. British Columbia and Alberta, I guess.

3. -

4. I have a vague idea that it's testicles, but I might be thinking of something else entirely.

5. "Celestial object" - so Pluto?

6. I suspect it's Timothy Dalton, since there was a bit of a fuss about his Bond being sponsored by BMW. (Connery, Moore and Craig all definitely have; it's tempting to go for Lazenby on the grounds of only one film, but I think his film starts off in an Aston Martin when his wife gets shot. I'm sticking with my guess.)

I've not even heard of most of the people in question 7...
Old 15 May 2018, 11:15 AM

1. What video game brand takes its name from the fact that it was originally a shoe-leather company founded in Hartford in 1932? Must be Coleco, which is presumably short for Connecticut Leather Company. I did not know that!

3. Who was the only one of golf's mid-century "Big Three" who was not American? The only name I really know from that era is Arnold Palmer, who I'm pretty sure is American.

4. What is the actual (non-seafood) main ingredient in Rocky Mountain oysters? Bull testicles

5. Styx, Nix, Kerberos, and Hydra are four of the five moons of what celestial object? Pluto?

6. Who is the only James Bond actor from the 007 film series never to drive an Aston Martin on-screen? Brosnan? I seem to remember some flap about a different car being used, although it may be the other chap Richard mentions.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these performers? Ernest Borgnine, Alison Brie, Isla Fisher, Bill Irwin, Hugh Jackman, Penn Jillette, Willard Scott, Jussie Smollett, Steve-O, Eric Stonestreet, David Strathairn. Trained/worked as clowns?
Old 15 May 2018, 11:55 AM

1. Coleco.

2. Alberta and British Columbia.

3. Don't know.

4. Testicles.

5. Pluto.

6. Roger Moore.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 15 May 2018, 02:12 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What video game brand takes its name from the fact that it was originally a shoe-leather company founded in Hartford in 1932?
Hasbro is what came to mind, but I don't think they exist anymore.
Quote:

Ontario and British Columbia? I'm pretty sure Ontario is right. ETA: Argh! I got Alberta and Ontario mixed up.
Quote:

3. Who was the only one of golf's mid-century "Big Three" who was not American?
Well, to answer this, I'd have to know who the big three were, and I only know Jack & Lee. Unless they're counting Arnie, in which case I think the non-American of the three I've mentioned is Lee Trevino.
Quote:

Mountain Goat testicles.
Quote:

Based on the names, I'm going to guess Uranus.
Quote:

6. Who is the only James Bond actor from the 007 film series never to drive an Aston Martin on-screen?
Timothy Dalton
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these performers? Ernest Borgnine, Alison Brie, Isla Fisher, Bill Irwin, Hugh Jackman, Penn Jillette, Willard Scott, Jussie Smollett, Steve-O, Eric Stonestreet, David Strathairn.
Something Ernest Borgnine has in common with Penn Jillette? I haven't a clue.

Seaboe
Old 15 May 2018, 03:47 PM

Only one this week:

bull's testicles
Old 15 May 2018, 05:05 PM

Baseball 2, mayb up to 4 this week.

1. Atari?

2. Alberta and British Columbia

3. No idea. I can only think of Arnold Palmer. And he's as American as Bernhard Langer.

4. Testicles

5. The body formerly known as Planet Pluto

6. Lazenby. I figure with only one film and not a lot of driving, it has to be him.

7. All were/are Libertarians.
Old 15 May 2018, 06:19 PM

Glasses

Regarding question 3, I have now thought of a fourth golfer, whom I know to not be American. In fact, it was a big deal when he won the Masters because of his home country (South Africa). However, I don't know whether Mr. Jennings would consider Gary Player's career to be mid-century. I wouldn't, but I'm a little picky that way.

And it's clear to me I know a lot more professional golfers than you guys do.

Seaboe