snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 01 December 2017, 12:37 AM

Default Marvel Studios' Avengers: Infinity War Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZfuNTqbHE8
Old 01 December 2017, 02:25 AM

My judgement in such matters cannot be trusted, but still: boo-yah!
Old 01 December 2017, 01:42 PM

I am not impressed, for some reason. It seems like it should be hitting the right notes, but I just can't seem to care.
Old 01 December 2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I just can't seem to care.
It really feels more like a teaser than a trailer, it doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know was going to happen and it doesn't have any great action shots or character moments or quotable lines. It's not a great trailer.
Old 01 December 2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
It's not a great trailer.
This guy disagrees with you. (Linked mostly for his list of other great superhero movie trailers. Discuss. )
Old 01 December 2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
This guy disagrees with you. (Linked mostly for his list of other great superhero movie trailers. Discuss. )
OK. I watched it again and tried to put a finger on what I don't like. He's wrong that Infinity War is a great trailer, and he makes no argument in the article that it is a great trailer. The trailer is stuffed with far too many people, leading me to believe that the movie is going to be so bloated with characters that it will be next to impossible to care about any of them. It looks like it will almost certainly break the rule that every movie, even sequels, should be able to stand on it's own, because there is no way with that many people involved that you are going to get any kind of character development - they will have to either be simple caricatures so that new watchers can understand them, or they will have to abandon any pretense that you can watch this without being up on every movie.

The opening voice over bit is cloying and trite. Thanos looks so much worse than he did in any previous movie. Bearded Captain America is annoying. Black Panther annoyed me enough that I want to see his movie less now. The trailer reminded me of the existence of horrible versions of the Scarlet Witch and Vision, and the fact that Doctor Strange is going to take up way too much of this movie (being as a full minute would be way too much). The repeated scenes of large groups of people charging each other across a field made me face palm.
Old 01 December 2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Dunno if I'd accept a clickbait listicle as a valid counter cite but YMMV
Old 01 December 2017, 03:11 PM

This may be one of those movies where they figure they can't make it totally accessible to first time viewers. But its not like that limits their audience to unacceptably low numbers, the previous 2 Avenger movies averaged over $500 million gross just in domestic box office sales. The last 10 Marvel movies all made over $200 million domestic except for Ant Man at $180 million. Civil War* made over $1 billion internationally.

And I'd rather have everyone in this movie, then you don't hit the question raised by Winter Soldier, if there is such a crisis, why are Captain America and Black Widow the only major players involved?

* Billed as a Captain America movie, but let's face it, it was an Avengers movie.
Old 01 December 2017, 03:39 PM

Well I guess some people liked the trailer because it set a new record for most views in the first 24 hours:
Quote:
Marvel Studios announced on Twitter Infinity War's debut look is now the most-viewed trailer debut ever. As of writing, the trailer is currently up to 230 million views in its first 24 hours since release on November 29.

Stephen King's IT most recently held the record, garnering 197 million views in its first 24 hours earlier this year.
Old 01 December 2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
quotable lines.
Get this man a shield!
Old 01 December 2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Dunno if I'd accept a clickbait listicle as a valid counter cite but YMMV
Dunno if I'd call a CRACKED article a "clickbait listicle" -- but even if so, at least it's all on one page.

It's true he doesn't really make an argument for it being a great trailer; it's I think more just a premise to tie it in with the rest of the list. I'm somewhat excited by it, but I don't necessarily think it's something that would make me want to see the film if I weren't already invested in the MCU.

As for the large number of views, I wonder how many of those are just people trying to see who all they can spot. I know that, since I viewed it the first time on my phone, there were some aspects that confused me. I didn't recognize Thor at first, with the eye patch; and I didn't at first recognize Black Widow as a blonde (which is possibly even greater blasphemy than Thor with a crew cut).

It will be interesting to see how they can possibly balance such a huge number of characters. It would be one thing if they focus on a few of them and the others get short cameo sequences (as they did with, say, Ant Man and to some degree Spider-Man in Civil War). I'm guessing, for example, that the Guardians of the Galaxy may only be involved for a relatively short sequence (though I could certainly be wrong).
Old 01 December 2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
This may be one of those movies where they figure they can't make it totally accessible to first time viewers. But its not like that limits their audience to unacceptably low numbers, the previous 2 Avenger movies averaged over $500 million gross just in domestic box office sales. The last 10 Marvel movies all made over $200 million domestic except for Ant Man at $180 million. Civil War* made over $1 billion internationally.
I have in fact read that technically, the number one box office actor of all time is now Stan Lee, thanks to his cameos in virtually every Marvel film (including the Sony and Fox ones that aren't in the MCU).
Old 02 December 2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Thanos looks so much worse than he did in any previous movie.
Yeah, I really don't get the choice to make him look less otherworldly for his feature film. The internet apparently agrees:

Old 02 December 2017, 05:01 AM

Apparently, even galactic warlords do Casual Friday.
Old 02 December 2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The trailer is stuffed with far too many people, leading me to believe that the movie is going to be so bloated with characters that it will be next to impossible to care about any of them. It looks like it will almost certainly break the rule that every movie, even sequels, should be able to stand on it's own, because there is no way with that many people involved that you are going to get any kind of character development - they will have to either be simple caricatures so that new watchers can understand them, or they will have to abandon any pretense that you can watch this without being up on every movie.
Given the entire reason behind the build-up to Infinity Wars, this cannot be unexpected: every Marvel character that has been introduced and developed since 2008 has been aimed at the Infinity Wars movies, and they will get screen time. It is expected that g-you will have already worked up g-your cares for the characters in their respective movies, and here's where they Do Their Thing. The IW movies are NOT expected to stand on their own. I really think that this cannot be a valid critique.
Old 02 December 2017, 11:36 AM

Someone pointed out the other day that if you hadn't seen the first Thor movie then you might be at a bit of a loss to understand what Loki's deal was in The Avengers because they don't really explain it all that clearly. So yeah, the ensemble films clearly aren't intended to be standalone films, at the very least people would understand that the characters have a shared history in previous films even if they haven't seen those films.
Old 03 December 2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
Given the entire reason behind the build-up to Infinity Wars, this cannot be unexpected: every Marvel character that has been introduced and developed since 2008 has been aimed at the Infinity Wars movies, and they will get screen time. It is expected that g-you will have already worked up g-your cares for the characters in their respective movies, and here's where they Do Their Thing. The IW movies are NOT expected to stand on their own. I really think that this cannot be a valid critique.
They may have intended that, and if that's what they want, fine, but it is still a perfectly valid critique. Just because you happen to be fine with it doesn't change that. If it is expected that I will have worked up to caring about these characters in other movies, and all this is is a bunch of action scenes building from that, I have no desire to see it and fully expect it to be bad. I have yet to see a movie that is just action heroes doing their thing that has been worth the time, and I don't expect this to break that. I hope I see some reason in future trailers to believe that it will be more than that, because otherwise I'll skip this one.

And GM, I disagree with that. My wife hadn't seen Thor (or any of the others) when we saw Avengers, and she didn't question Loki at all. He is the bad guy from space who wants to conquer the Earth. This isn't exactly a mysterious motivation that needs background. And that movie had character development, of most of the characters. It is probably the movie where Stark goes through the biggest change in his attitude - if anything, they erased any previous growth from him to repeat it in Avengers. Banner comes to terms with being Hulk, Thor learns to get along with others and work together, Cap adapts to the modern day and leads again, and you learn a lot about what makes Romanov the Black Widow and what she can do.

Last edited by Darth Credence; 03 December 2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03 December 2017, 03:07 PM

I rather doubt that the movie is going to be two hours of the heroes just doing action scenes, but what would be the point in spending half the movie introducing the audience to all the characters? People who haven't seen the previous movies aren't the target audience in the first place.
Old 03 December 2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
They may have intended that, and if that's what they want, fine, but it is still a perfectly valid critique.
I think that the "may" and "if" here are misplaced - the structure of the movies is exactly what it is; the "mays" and "ifs" are on the side of the audience - a potential audience member for the IW movies "may" decide to see them without partaking in the well-publicized run-up to them, and "if" they do, then they "may" well have a poor experience.

I'm trying to imagine how the Infinity Wars movies could be done to fit the criticism presented. All I can come up with is another entry into the old lineup of Marvel bombs from the 1980's. Either too many characters shoveled into one movie with waaay too much going on, or a shadow of a pallid travesty of a ghost of the source material.

I'd be willing to bet that the bad guy gets some origin story/development time, though.

Do note that I am one of the apparently few moviegoers who enjoyed Man of Steel; my feeling was there'd been 5 Superman movies before it with a paltry amount of super powers cumulatively shown between them, it was about time one had the throw-down. Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but I had been getting bored. Like those 1970's made-for-TV Spiderman movies that were basically retreaded crime procedurals with bad SFX of "wall-crawling" thrown in. Why bother making it Spiderman, then?

Last edited by Crius of CoH; 03 December 2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03 December 2017, 09:15 PM

I forget, is Infinity Wars still set to be a two-parter or not?