Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 29 November 2017, 02:23 PM

Default Matt Lauer's just been fired.

Article here.

So much stuff hitting the fan lately.
Old 29 November 2017, 07:44 PM

Lots of stuff.
Quote:
Garrison Keillor, the creator and former host of A Prairie Home Companion, has been accused of inappropriate behavior with someone who worked with him, according to Minnesota Public Radio, which has announced it is cutting ties with Keillor and his production company.
Garrison Keillor's gone too (already retired, but...)
Old 29 November 2017, 09:55 PM

If Keillor's description of what happened is accurate, then I think firing him is absurd -- and even if he did considerably worse (I suspect he's not telling the whole story, or at least that the perspective/recollection of the incident by the victim is quite different), renaming the show that he's not even on any more seems like kind of weirdly over the top.
Old 29 November 2017, 10:11 PM

I don't know that much about Matt Lauer, but somehow that one isn't surprising. He's always had an unpleasant vibe, and I don't know how he's survived so long in an industry where being pleasant is his one and only job.

The Keillor one sounds a bit strange, but that's one side of the story. Hard to visualize what really happened or the context.
Old 29 November 2017, 10:33 PM

The Keillor one is the only one that hasn't surprised me. I've heard from several people over the past 20 years that he's creepy and lecherous.

Not that hearsay counts as any evidence- I'm just saying that this is one that didn't catch me by surprise.
Old 29 November 2017, 10:44 PM

Apparently, Katie Couric said in an interview back in ought 12 that Matt Lauer pinched her butt - a lot. And more news is coming out that makes it clear that he wasn't fired for one accusation. There was a months long investigation, and he seems to be every bit as bad as Weinstein.
Old 29 November 2017, 11:15 PM

I could have sworn there was a big story many years ago about Matt Lauer sexually harassing a woman at NBC, or making lewd comments to a guest. I didn't think this was the first time it had been made public.
Old 30 November 2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
The Keillor one sounds a bit strange, but that's one side of the story. Hard to visualize what really happened or the context.
From hearing Keillor talk about how he accidentally got his hand up a woman's shirt, I figured there was a LOT more to the story. Over the years I have heard a number of guys say things like they were just having fun, they just accidentally brushed her chest (like 15 times), it was all no big deal, but those wacky women just make a big scene? I mean, most women take that as a compliment! Who knew that grabbing a woman's ass is not ok?
Old 30 November 2017, 03:07 PM

When you have a button in your office that locks the door from inside, shouldn't management have considered it might be time to have a discussion with Matt about what that button is for?

Who else can you picture with a button like that other than Mr. Burns or some kind of Bond villain?
Old 30 November 2017, 03:17 PM

Glasses

What I really appreciated about the article was that they mentioned the investigation. A lot of these firings end up sounding like "X woman spoke up and we fired his asset." I doubt any of them were that simple.

Seaboe
Old 30 November 2017, 03:57 PM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
When you have a button in your office that locks the door from inside, shouldn't management have considered it might be time to have a discussion with Matt about what that button is for?

I heard about that on the news this morning. I guess Lauer had enough pull that he could arrange for someone to come in during normal business hours to install the lock, no questions asked? Or there's so many people going in/out of the building that one locksmith would not be noticed?
Old 30 November 2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I heard about that on the news this morning. I guess Lauer had enough pull that he could arrange for someone to come in during normal business hours to install the lock, no questions asked? Or there's so many people going in/out of the building that one locksmith would not be noticed?
What I saw on twitter, from some people saying they are, civil engineers, or electrical engineers, is that for something like that to be installed in a large office building, it would need to be customized and couldn't just be installed "off the rack", so if true, I'm not sure how he'd have gotten it done without at least a nod from someone in management.
Old 30 November 2017, 05:44 PM

With Keillor, his explanation is just too easy..it sounds like he wants us to believe that that his consoling was taken wrong. But up a shirt/blouse ? I have a hard time picturing this innocently.
With the name change to Prairie Home Companion--it was his name, and it is possible that MPR doesn't want to get into a prolonged legal fight about Keillor's intellectual property.
I think Chris Thile has been a good job of subtly rebranding the show. Look for the Powdermilk Biscuit stuff to go away too.

Ali
Old 30 November 2017, 06:01 PM

Also all the references to Lake Woebegone.
Old 30 November 2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
What I saw on twitter, from some people saying they are, civil engineers, or electrical engineers, is that for something like that to be installed in a large office building, it would need to be customized and couldn't just be installed "off the rack", so if true, I'm not sure how he'd have gotten it done without at least a nod from someone in management.
I'm not an engineer, but as someone who works in a very large corporation, it seems very unlikely he'd be able to bring a contractor in "off hours" to make a change to corporate property, inside a corporate-owned building, without some kind of approval. Even for Matt Lauer.
Old 30 November 2017, 06:05 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
... so if true, I'm not sure how he'd have gotten it done without at least a nod from someone in management.
It wouldn't surprise me if he got that nod, when dealing with 'talent' I don't think it is uncommon to indulge their quirks without asking too many questions.

But, he also could have had it installed after hours with very few people knowing. Keeping it quiet once installed would be another matter though.
Old 30 November 2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Also all the references to Lake Woebegone.
I don't think Chris Thile did any Lake Woebegone stuff since he started hosting the show, anyway. When it was announced that he was the new host he joked that he didn't know what was happening in Lake Woebegone, so he wouldn't be able to talk about it.
Old 30 November 2017, 06:26 PM

TV

I wasn't paying close attention, but I half-heard on one report or another that the lock-the-door button was installed in several offices at NBC as a security device (presumably to keep intruders out at a moment's notice) but Lauer was believed to have used it several times.

I don't know what to make of the Keillor story. I once accidentally snapped a friend's bra strap through a shirt (and IIRC did a few similar accidental things over my long life). I immediately sincerely apologized and made sure she believed and accepted that apology. Keillor's explanation sounds almost the same, but still feels a little off.
Old 30 November 2017, 06:46 PM

I suppose it could have been one of those split-back tops, like this one. I've never seen a woman wear one without a tank top underneath, but I suppose some women might not.
Old 30 November 2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Nah. Depending on what it is, I could probably install one myself in 10 minutes. You would just need a remote controlled solenoid that will push a dead bolt into place, and a way to power it. It would be noticeable if someone looked for it, but no question it could be done easily.
He may have had a much more professional job done, and would have needed a lot more work, but the concept is easy and there are off the rack solutions.