snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 30 October 2014, 01:22 PM

Default Electronic voting machine calibrations

I've seen a number of articles where the touch screen voting machines are said to be rigged in favor of Democrat candidates.

I don't see any reports where the reverse is happening.

Any reports where machines have had screen calibration issues favoring Republicans?

Last edited by UrbanLegends101; 30 October 2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: getting the parties correct
Old 30 October 2014, 02:44 PM

Computer

Where?

~Psihala
(*"Rumor has it...")
Old 30 October 2014, 03:06 PM

There used to be worry that some of the machines could be altered to skew results in favor of Republicans. Many of the first generation machines were made by Diebold. At the time, Diebold's CEO was a firm supporter of the Republican party and at one point he made the unfortunate comment that he would do "Whatever it takes" to get George W. Bush re-elected.

This was when the machines (from Diebold and many other companies) were being pushed pretty hard as a result of the hanging chad fiasco in Florida and the impact the Bush/Gore dispute. There was concern that the machines were being put in use too fast, when all of the glitches and kinks had not been worked out.

However, despite the CEO's loyalties and unfortunate comments, there was never any evidence that Diebold did anything to alter any election results, although the machines were not very secure and could have been hacked.
Old 30 October 2014, 03:12 PM

Wasn't that one of the biggest issues, that the machines did not keep enough records, so that alterations would not be traceable?
Old 30 October 2014, 03:39 PM

That is still a concern, a paper (or other record) trail.
Old 30 October 2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Where?

~Psihala
(*"Rumor has it...")
For Illinois:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/cookcounty.asp

For Maryland:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/1...switch-claims/
Old 30 October 2014, 04:21 PM

Computer

In the snopes article, ONE machine was found to be improperly calibrated, and the part about being deliberately rigged is marked "false."

In the second article, election commissioners reported 20 complaints, and all of the machines in question were tested and either the problem couldn't be replicated or the machine in question was taken out of service.

Quote:
Yes, and...?

~Psihala
Old 30 October 2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
Really? It made the news when it happened. (there are more mainstream sources with the story, but I picked that one because it has the video).
Old 30 October 2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Yes, and...?
Probably just means no one has voted for a Democrat yet.

I have heard this 'callibration error' a few times, and I don;t get what could be going on, other than something underhanded. It seems to me you would have a set of yes-no slots, with certain of them grouped so that you can only have one yes among them (those for the same race - only one yes means one vote in that race). This isn't quantum physics, where the state of the system is affected by the observation, right? What is there about 'callibration' that could register a yes in one slot as a yes in a wholly different slot?
Old 30 October 2014, 07:42 PM

They are touch screens, so there has to be an interface that translates the location of the touch on the screen to the corresponding location on the display. If that interface isn't calibrated correctly, then a marginal press could register elsewhere. For example, a touch near the bottom of one button would instead register as a touch on the top of the button below.

ETA: If you've browsed snopes on a mobile phone and gone to page 2 of a thread when you tried to tap page 3 with your finger, you've experienced something like this issue.
Old 30 October 2014, 11:49 PM

Even though it has been a long time since my day programing. I can tell you that just because you push a button and something that agrees with what you choice lights up, does not in any way grantee that is what was register in the machine's memory. A printed paper that the voter reads and verifies before storing for review is the only safe system.
Old 31 October 2014, 12:57 AM

This is why I hate the way I vote in New Jersey--push a bunch of buttons. I don't trust that. There are paper ballots that don't have the whole punch card issue, either. Have people fill in an arrow, for example.
Old 31 October 2014, 01:50 AM

I love Oregon's vote-by-mail system.

I've already turned by ballot in.
Old 31 October 2014, 03:45 AM

It used to be very common for machines to vote Republican but these days plenty are going the other way. There are still a number of undecided machines out there, though, so you never know which party they'll pick in any given election.
Old 31 October 2014, 04:55 AM

Democratic candidates if you please.
Old 31 October 2014, 05:03 AM

Remember, citizen, the computer is your friend. Friend Computer is wise. Friend Computer wants Alpha Complex to be happy. Happiness Is Mandatory. Failure to be happy is treason. Treason is punishable by summary execution. Have a nice daycycle!

Sorry, but this thread needed a Paranoia reference.

Crocoduck "My clearance isn't sufficient for this signature, reporting to Termination Booth" Hunter
Old 31 October 2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
Really? It made the news when it happened. (there are more mainstream sources with the story, but I picked that one because it has the video).

Yes and thanks. I should have been more specific, that I was asking about the 2014 election.
Old 31 October 2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
They are touch screens, so there has to be an interface that translates the location of the touch on the screen to the corresponding location on the display. If that interface isn't calibrated correctly, then a marginal press could register elsewhere. For example, a touch near the bottom of one button would instead register as a touch on the top of the button below.

ETA: If you've browsed snopes on a mobile phone and gone to page 2 of a thread when you tried to tap page 3 with your finger, you've experienced something like this issue.
One of our Xerox copy machines has a similar issue - the small block for selecting 8.5 x 11 inch paper has to be finger touched very carefully - otherwise the machine thinks I am wanting the selection above, on the screen.

I understand the 2014 election voting machine issue appears to be one machine in Illinois and a few in Maryland, but reading the links forwarded by my Conservative friends, one might think it was every machine in both states, and maybe even more.
Old 31 October 2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Yes and thanks. I should have been more specific, that I was asking about the 2014 election.
Ah, gotcha. Fair enough!
Old 31 October 2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Remember, citizen, the computer is your friend. Friend Computer is wise. Friend Computer wants Alpha Complex to be happy. Happiness Is Mandatory. Failure to be happy is treason. Treason is punishable by summary execution. Have a nice daycycle!

Sorry, but this thread needed a Paranoia reference.

Crocoduck "My clearance isn't sufficient for this signature, reporting to Termination Booth" Hunter
You have just made my day