snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Religion

Old 27 November 2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
I've never heard of any moral objections to tampons. Granted, I know very little of the inner workings of fundamentalist churches. But Lutherans, Catholics, Methodists, Episcopals, and Reformed Jewish have no known rules against tampons that I know of.
My guy's ex-employee's wife was morally opposed to them. Of course that's WAY FOAF, but apparently the guy grumbled to my guy about not being able to insert ANYTHING except a bare penis. She was anti-tampon, anti-condom, etc, didn't believe but one thing should ever enter that space, and most especially no man-made thing, such as dildos, condems, or tampons. Of course, again, this is third hand information, so take it with as much salt as you please, but it seems like an odd thing for either the husband or my boyfriend to make up, exaggerate, or lie about....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Whether or not a tampon compromises a woman's hymen doesn't matter, if some religious leaders think it does.

Also, I have actually met people so ignorant of female anatomy that they think women can have orgasms from using tampons. Combine that ignorance with a religious taboo against masturbation, and, well, voila.
A guy I dated (briefly) in HS told me that he'd always heard only 'kinky' girls used tampons. He wanted to know what they felt like, and was very disappointed when I told him that one doesn't feel them at all.
Old 27 November 2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
Are you sure she was morally against them rather than just a little confused as to the nature of them? I have a friend who until about 2 years ago thought women who had never given birth were too "small" to use tampons. She didn't think there was anything wrong with them. She just was a little misinformed.
She was both morally against them and a little confused. As were her peers. I don't really see how anyone with a clear understanding of female anatomy and how tampons work could be morally against tampons. But that may be colored by my experience, where the two have always gone hand in hand.
Old 27 November 2007, 09:50 PM

Just to throw this out there - I don't know if they still do this, but IIRC, Tampax tampons used to come with an FAQ that included the question, "Will I lose my virginity if I use a tampon?" (or something to that effect)

I figured that they must get asked this a lot if they felt the need to put in in their FAQ (unless they just put it there to avoid getting asked in the first place...). But if there are people out there who really feel concerned enough to ask a question like that, then I'm not surprised that there would be some moral opposition to tampons.
Old 28 November 2007, 03:23 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctilca View Post
Just to throw this out there - I don't know if they still do this, but IIRC, Tampax tampons used to come with an FAQ that included the question, "Will I lose my virginity if I use a tampon?" (or something to that effect).
You recall correctly. I also don't know if they do it anymore as I never have occasion (or need) to read the FAQ sheet anymore and throw it out the second I open the box.
Old 28 November 2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Grandma didn't think it was POSSIBLE to use tampons if you were a virgin.
So some people think that using tampons, buying tampons, being in possession of tampons, is advertizing the fact that one is not a virgin.
Quote:
Tampax tampons used to come with an FAQ that included the question, "Will I lose my virginity if I use a tampon?"
Oh geez-- tampon directions: "if you have difficulty inserting the tampon, try lying on the floor" (or something to that effect). Right. I'm going to lie on the floor of a public restroom.
Old 28 November 2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Oh geez-- tampon directions: "if you have difficulty inserting the tampon, try lying on the floor" (or something to that effect). Right. I'm going to lie on the floor of a public restroom.

Or "stand with one foot on the toilet." To do that, I have to take my pants off one leg. To take my pants off one leg, I have to take my shoe off. I do not want to get undressed then put my sock (or bare foot ) on a toilet!
Old 28 November 2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Just to throw this out there - I don't know if they still do this, but IIRC, Tampax tampons used to come with an FAQ that included the question, "Will I lose my virginity if I use a tampon?" (or something to that effect)
OB FAQ still has this. Along with the "can a tampon get lost in me?" and various fancy wording to indicate that it's OK to use your finger to insert your tampon (for those who aren't tampon users, OB doesn't have a plunger device like most tampons. It's simply the tampon itself and a string. You use your finger to insert the tampon into its proper place).
Old 28 November 2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
OB FAQ still has this. Along with the "can a tampon get lost in me?" and various fancy wording to indicate that it's OK to use your finger to insert your tampon (for those who aren't tampon users, OB doesn't have a plunger device like most tampons. It's simply the tampon itself and a string. You use your finger to insert the tampon into its proper place).
Oh, I remember the time I put in an OB tampon backwards--that is, with the string part going into me first instead of last. I couldn't pull it out, so I waited a bit and the next day it had worked its way down enough for me to be able to pull it out.

Stunk to high heaven, though. Now I use a DivaCup, so I don't have to worry about that.
Old 29 November 2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I figured that they must get asked this a lot if they felt the need to put in in their FAQ (unless they just put it there to avoid getting asked in the first place...). But if there are people out there who really feel concerned enough to ask a question like that, then I'm not surprised that there would be some moral opposition to tampons.
They sure still did my junior year of high school...a dude in my class nabbed it out of a box in a girl's backpack and read it aloud to us all while the teacher was out...
Old 29 November 2007, 09:26 PM

Yep, some people even today still believe a girl can lose her virginity to a tampon. I knew a couple of girls in this situation at my rural Florida HS.
(If it's true, I haven't been a virgin since I was 12!)

I will say that using tampons for the first time can definitely be difficult and uncomfortable for some girls.
Old 30 November 2007, 01:42 AM
zephyra

Seemed appropriate. Somehow...
Old 16 December 2009, 08:27 PM
Musa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Because breaking the hymen could compromise a woman's bride appeal. Some interpretations of Islam seem to recommend against tampons for that reason.
There is nothing in Islam to suggest that a woman who has a broken hymen either due to sexual activity or due to other means loses her bridal appeal.

You will find however that some Muslim cultures might have found it odd having an object to be inserted as opposed to the traditional means and hence why some Muslims might avoid tampons. You'd find this is far more common in non-Western countries however the main point is that Islam itself does not forbid the use of tampons however you may find that certain Muslims might avoid them.
Old 17 December 2009, 02:33 AM

Rural South here, as late as my highschool days ( ...8-10 years ago) it was widely known that only "dirty girls" used tampons. Because in order to use tampons you had to be somewhat aware of and comfortable with your vagina and reproductive systems in order to use a tampon and that's just a slippery slope to masturbation which of course is a one way ticket straight to hell.

What's funny though is I knew quite a few girls who were sexually active and/or masturbated but still wouldn't use tampons because they were "dirty"
Old 17 December 2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustasteph View Post
A guy I dated (briefly) in HS told me that he'd always heard only 'kinky' girls used tampons. He wanted to know what they felt like, and was very disappointed when I told him that one doesn't feel them at all.
Quote:
Just for the record, I've never heard of whether "kinky" or "non-kinky" girls used tampons, nor have I given it any thought whatsoever until this thread. I also have no opinion on whether inserting a tampon costs a girl her virginity. Five years ago, I would have said "no, because to lose your virginity, you'd have to have some kind of sexual contact, and what your hymen looks like is irrelevant." But now I no longer acknowledge the entire concept of "virginity" at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualli View Post
What's funny though is I knew quite a few girls who were sexually active and/or masturbated but still wouldn't use tampons because they were "dirty"
I don't know if that's so much funny as it is sad and frustrating.
Old 17 December 2009, 03:54 AM

When I was a senior in college, a male freshman approached me to ask a question that had been bothering him. My sexual ethics are very conservative, but I'm also very clinical about subjects like this, and do not realize until after the fact, or the shocked faces that meet me, that I'm "not supposed to" talk about these things. Anyway, he asked me how girls could wear tampons without breaking the hymen. Honestly, I thought--I am sure based upon some FAQ in a tampon box--that tampons don't break hymens because they aren't large enough, or don't go that far in, or something. In any case, the tampons never broke mine (started wearing them regularly at 15).
Old 17 December 2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
I could believe cultures that place an inordinate importance on a woman being demonstrably a virgin when she marries being opposed to the use of tampons, since that would require stretching or breaking the hymen.
And the existence of a hymen that can be broken is, I understand, a UL.
Old 17 December 2009, 07:29 AM

It's a UL that the existance of an intact hymen is proof of virginity - is it a UL that rhere are cultural groups that believe otherwise?
Old 17 December 2009, 07:46 AM

It is a UL that it is a membrane that needs to be or can be penetrated.
Old 17 December 2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Also, I have actually met people so ignorant of female anatomy that they think women can have orgasms from using tampons.
When I was in middle school (grades 6-8) a male classmate said something about girls really enjoying using tampons (put a little more crassly than that).

My wit must have been on vacation that day, or my self-editing was working better than usual, because I didn't voice my first thought: "how small is your dick if you think a girl is going to get off with a tampon?" And that was before I had ever personally experienced either tampon use or sex.
Old 17 December 2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
It is a UL that it is a membrane that needs to be or can be penetrated.
Are you saying hymens don't exist?