snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 13 December 2017, 03:20 AM

Mouse

Itís a wonder you didnít slap that baby for putting you through all that. Though I canít judge Baby too harshly; if I was being carried around in a big warm water bed, Iíd want to make it last as long as possible.
Old 13 December 2017, 12:51 PM

If you are debating someone on a message board about bullying behavior and start your post with a snarky "Um, no" don't be surprised if YOU get called out for bullying behavior.
Old 13 December 2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Itís a wonder you didnít slap that baby for putting you through all that. Though I canít judge Baby too harshly; if I was being carried around in a big warm water bed, Iíd want to make it last as long as possible.
We also had to coax her into crawling ("meh, you'll come pick me up eventually") and then walking ("meh, I can crawl a lot faster and I don't fall down"). I joke that if I'd taught her baby sign language, she might never have learned to talk.
Old 13 December 2017, 02:07 PM

Yesterday, for some reason, I watched the ad for YouTube tv. It is advertised as being cable-free. A few of the people making comments were saying things like: "how is this cable-free, when I have an Ethernet cable attached to my computer?" Or "this isn't cable-FREE when it cost $35.00 a month." I hope these people were joking and didn't really expect it to get rid of all the cables or to actually be free of charge. It means if you PAY for YouTube tv, you can get rid of the cable/ satellite provider (cable-free) because they (Youtube) will provide the same or similar service.
Old 13 December 2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
If you are debating someone on a message board about bullying behavior and start your post with a snarky "Um, no" don't be surprised if YOU get called out for bullying behavior.
Interesting. I would have taken the "um" as an attempt to soften the contradiction; the reverse of bullying behavior.

Interpretations, obviously, vary. And the rest of the post could also of course make a difference to how that start was taken.
Old 13 December 2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Interesting. I would have taken the "um" as an attempt to soften the contradiction; the reverse of bullying behavior.

Interpretations, obviously, vary. And the rest of the post could also of course make a difference to how that start was taken.
Softening things would be more along the lines of "I disagree" at least IMO.
Old 13 December 2017, 06:33 PM

I've always interpreted the 'um' as rather snotty, snarky. That's also how I've encountered it being interpreted by other people on comment boards, twitter, etc. I always hear it in my head as the way a snotty teenager would say it (whilst rolling their eyes).
Old 13 December 2017, 06:38 PM

TYSHTT adults working in a professional setting where frequent collaborative meetings are scheduled: update your fricking calendar when you're going to be OOTO. I can't read your damn mind.
Old 13 December 2017, 08:22 PM

That if someone is actively getting off the elevator and stepping through the doors, don't press the 'close doors' button because you suddenly realized you didn't press your floor's button. Someone did that to me today and the doors started to close on me, hitting me in my shoulder and hand. It hurt and I glared at them, mainly because they didn't apologize. I now have a bad bruise on my shoulder.
Old 13 December 2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I've always interpreted the 'um' as rather snotty, snarky. That's also how I've encountered it being interpreted by other people on comment boards, twitter, etc. I always hear it in my head as the way a snotty teenager would say it (whilst rolling their eyes).
I'll have to quit doing that, then. That's never how I mean it, and it hadn't occured to me that others might interpret it that way.
Old 14 December 2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
Um, sure.

Well the field test results came back positive, that sounded snarky as heck.
Old 14 December 2017, 01:28 AM

When its snowing hard and the roads are slick and inches thick in snow, slush and ice, maybe you should not have one hand holding the phone to your head while the other is holding a cigarette and the wheel.
Old 14 December 2017, 01:41 AM

I'm surprised it's still legal to use a cell phone while driving without a hands-free device in your state.
Old 14 December 2017, 02:01 AM

Its legal in most states to use a hand held cell phone while driving. In Michigan they've banned texting while driving, but it is still legal to make a call with phone in this way while driving.
Old 14 December 2017, 02:24 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
We also had to coax her into crawling ("meh, you'll come pick me up eventually") and then walking ("meh, I can crawl a lot faster and I don't fall down"). I joke that if I'd taught her baby sign language, she might never have learned to talk.
Sounds like a baby after my own heart. Drag out your infancy as long as you can. Growing up is overrated; it just leads to you acquiring a lot of unpleasant things called responsibilities.

Yeah, hopefully Iíve made it so none of my fellow Snopesters will ever call on me to babysit.