snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 07 December 2017, 05:50 PM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,630
Default

An update! Of sorts! Some guy from a Flat Earth youtube channel checked the damage to Mad Mike's rocket and gave us a rundown of what Mike plans to do next:


For those of you who can't be bothered watching some guy rambling in a poorly shot video (or who don't want to give a flat earth guy the extra youtube hits) the gist is basically that the rocket sustained minor external damage and one of the crappy wheels that is intended to guide it along the framework when it launches got knocked out of alignment. Mad Mike Hughes left it in the town of Amboy for the week because he had to go back to work but he'll come back and get the rocket on Friday so he can take it home and fix it.

I'm betting that it'll probably stay at his house for quite some time, he doesn't seem to be in all that much of a rush any more.

Also there's not really any point in bringing the rocket back to Amboy because he still doesn't have permission from the Bureau of Land Management to launch it there.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07 December 2017, 06:12 PM
WildaBeast's Avatar
WildaBeast WildaBeast is offline
 
Join Date: 18 July 2002
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 14,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Yeah he said something in one of his videos about how this is a publicity stunt to raise awareness so he can later crowdfund the $1.8 million needed to build a rocket that can reach the Kármán line (or something like that, I can't be bothered going through his videos to double check the details).
Seems like it would be easier to just put that money towards a flight on Virgin Galactic. Right now that seems to have a better chance of getting off the ground than anything built by this guy.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07 December 2017, 07:14 PM
BoKu's Avatar
BoKu BoKu is offline
 
Join Date: 20 February 2000
Location: Douglas Flat, CA
Posts: 3,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
At this point, it looks like he's just stalling until people lose interest.
I suspect he's creating activity to monetize his Youtube vids.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07 December 2017, 07:21 PM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
I suspect he's creating activity to monetize his Youtube vids.
That's the crazy thing, he created his own youtube channel (or someone created it for him, I suspect) a short time before he was first supposed to launch the rocket but throughout all this he hasn't uploaded a single video to it.

He also seems to expect to make money selling commemorative t-shirts somehow but when I checked all his related websites there's absolutely no sign of an online store where you could order them.


He's remarkably inept at every single aspect of this entire scheme.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 13 December 2017, 12:56 AM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,630
Airplane

Update: he's taken the rocket home so he can repair it and probably repaint it. (He seems more concerned about repainting it.) There's also a production company that wants to film him so he's going to delay the launch for at least a few weeks so they can do that. As for the launch itself he's hoping he can get it done before Super Bowl Sunday (in February!!!) but from the sounds of it he really really wants to do it on that day now.


Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 13 December 2017, 07:31 AM
Dasla's Avatar
Dasla Dasla is offline
 
Join Date: 15 April 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Update: he's taken the rocket home so he can repair it and probably repaint it. (He seems more concerned about repainting it.)
When I was a lab assistant at a high school, as an end of year project we would buy rocket kits for the students. The girls had to shape the nose cone and then construct the rocket. We would then fire the rockets off in the front oval. Many of the girls were more concerned with painting (and decorating) then with contrasting the rocket. So I can understand.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 13 December 2017, 07:24 PM
BoKu's Avatar
BoKu BoKu is offline
 
Join Date: 20 February 2000
Location: Douglas Flat, CA
Posts: 3,827
Icon202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
When I was a lab assistant at a high school, as an end of year project we would buy rocket kits for the students. The girls had to shape the nose cone and then construct the rocket. We would then fire the rockets off in the front oval. Many of the girls were more concerned with painting (and decorating) then with contrasting the rocket. So I can understand.
Off-topic yarn:

At my previous job, the company sponsored a "rocket day." The various project teams made rockets from kits (good old Estes Alphas), and on that day we launched them. And got snacks and T-shirts.

However, there was no technical inspection, and there was no requirement that the kits be built to spec. So some teams got fancy and put extra forward fins and even little wings on them--making them unstable.

When I saw this, I tried to get the organizers to launch only rockets that were nominally compliant with the Alpha plans. But the event itself was so disorganized they couldn't get any kind of consensus among the staff, and all I got was a shrug and wet-blanket scowl.

Of course, when they launched one of the winged Alphas it immediately started into a decreasing-radius loop just above head height. After about a second it shed its wings, dropped into the crowd, and then popped its parachute, fortunately without hitting anyone. There was a silence, some nervous laughter, and the event went on, fortunately with no other serious issues.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 14 December 2017, 01:21 AM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
Off-topic yarn:

At my previous job, the company sponsored a "rocket day." The various project teams made rockets from kits (good old Estes Alphas), and on that day we launched them. And got snacks and T-shirts.

However, there was no technical inspection, and there was no requirement that the kits be built to spec. So some teams got fancy and put extra forward fins and even little wings on them--making them unstable.

When I saw this, I tried to get the organizers to launch only rockets that were nominally compliant with the Alpha plans. But the event itself was so disorganized they couldn't get any kind of consensus among the staff, and all I got was a shrug and wet-blanket scowl.

Of course, when they launched one of the winged Alphas it immediately started into a decreasing-radius loop just above head height. After about a second it shed its wings, dropped into the crowd, and then popped its parachute, fortunately without hitting anyone. There was a silence, some nervous laughter, and the event went on, fortunately with no other serious issues.
..... and it was still safer and more successful than any rocket launch that Mad Mike Hughes has attempted.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Miss USA 2011 — Should Math Be Taught in Schools? snopes Fauxtography 0 17 November 2011 07:27 AM
Ghost Town snopes Spook Central 7 28 November 2010 01:58 AM
Shuttle launch Jenn Fauxtography 10 13 February 2010 10:44 PM
45 lessons life taught me snopes Glurge Gallery 13 13 June 2009 04:33 PM
That's One Way to Launch a Boat! snopes Fauxtography 43 26 July 2007 04:08 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.