snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 18 October 2008, 07:49 PM

Icon09 Wedding blooper

Comment: This video is already making the rounds on various other internet sites so I'm sure you've already received it, but no one seems to know if it's real or not.

Old 18 October 2008, 08:22 PM

Looks viral to me. I'm not sure a wedding cameraman would have the instinct to follow and keep filming when the bride, groom and priest fell into the pool.
Old 18 October 2008, 08:22 PM
kern

I vote fake -- it looks scripted and acted, but maybe I'm just too cynical.
Old 18 October 2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern View Post
...it looks scripted and acted...
So like a wedding then? *rimshot*
Old 18 October 2008, 09:59 PM

I'm leaning towards fake because the priest and groom seem to react to the fall quicker than I'd expect.
Old 18 October 2008, 10:00 PM

And no one laughs.
Old 18 October 2008, 10:06 PM

The guy falling just didn't look realistic to me. And why would he reach out toward the ankles of the people in front of him? It would seem to me like his instinct would be to put his hands down, not out like he did in that video. When I fall, my elbows instinctively go in and my hands go in front of my face; it keeps me from falling on my nose and shields my upper body. This guy's arms went essentially over his head - not a reaction that would seem instinctive to me.

ETA: One arm when in, but the other went straight out.
Old 18 October 2008, 10:44 PM

Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkenray View Post
Looks viral to me. I'm not sure a wedding cameraman would have the instinct to follow and keep filming when the bride, groom and priest fell into the pool.
Nitpick, the groom doesn't go in the water.
Old 18 October 2008, 11:57 PM

I'm voting fake, because the weddings I've been to don't involve the best man standing so far away from the couple that he needs to walk over to the groom, giving him room to fall. Usually, the best man is right next to the groom, and just hand the ring over.
Old 19 October 2008, 12:00 AM

The man officiating seems to be really overplaying his part. Either he hardly ever gets to do weddings, or he hardly ever gets an acting gig.
Old 19 October 2008, 04:02 AM
Marie19

Vote for fake. What others have said. Plus, what's with the "Oh my God Oh my God"? I mean, it's a crappy thing to have happen in a wedding, but it just seemed to be overplayed.
Old 19 October 2008, 04:13 AM

Probably viral, but funny as anything I've seen on Youtube.

I keep watching it over and over and I can't get over how convincing the best man's foot slip is. I think it was supposed to happen, but the best man's feet are convincing.

Great video.
Old 19 October 2008, 05:12 AM

It's relatively easy to fake a slip like that. Pretty easy to balls up the fakery too, but not so hard to get right.

I agree the onlookers reactions seem to suggest they've fallen into a vat of sulphuric acid rather than a swimming pool. While an awful thing to happen at a wedding, it's hardly as bad as the reactions seem to indicate.

The camera shot is close up until right before the priest asks for the rings. Now, it could simply be that the camerman knew that was the part of the ceremony coming up and reacted accordingly so we could see the best man coming in to give the rings - but doesn't it also seem just a little 'too' far out? A little 'too convenient' so we can see the entire fall? I mean seriously, did we need to see the best man's feet? Wouldn't a closer shot of him handing over the rings be more appropriate?
Old 19 October 2008, 01:01 PM

I am certain that this was shown in the UK on a programme featuring strange adverts - I can't rememberwhat the advert was for (or what country it was from)
Old 19 October 2008, 09:01 PM
Bee

The audio is higher quality than at any outdoor wedding I've been too. Even after they're in the water the audio is clear. This makes it seem less like a real wedding to me.

Bee
Old 20 October 2008, 06:04 AM

TV

Whilst conducting my workout at the gym this morning, the television was tuned to a show called, I believe, You've Been Framed, which is, I believe, a UK version of Funniest Home Videos.

They had a whole section on wedding videos and I was hoping that this one would pop up. But alas, it did not. The one thing the 10 or so videos had in common that were not present here were the production values. In this one, the lighting is perfect, audio crystal, as if the officiant is wearing a microphone, the camera completely steady. The other ones, including the out of door weddings had inconsistent light, shaky camera, questionable audio with plenty of background noise and somewhat unsteady camera, especially during the mishap.

I'm convinced it is staged, with Jerry Lewis like quality on the mis-step.

Old 20 October 2008, 06:22 AM

Australia

I have only two comments:

1) It's a fake because the production quality is too good? Huh? Okay, so I know there are a plethora of low quality wedding videos out there but that doesn't mean there is no such thing as a high quality wedding video. I have a friend who has one... they even spent time rehearsing the entire thing with the cameraman so he'd know the timing of it and when to zoom in and out, etc.
2) I don't know that I'd verbalise it (the "Oh my god" stuff) but I'd be alarmed by a bride getting dunked into a pool. Those bridal dresses can be layer upon layer of material which would make the thing dangerous in deep water (it is hard enough swimming in jeans and a shirt). A water laden bridal dress coupled with high heels could mean she wouldn't be able to find her own way back to the surface.
Old 20 October 2008, 06:26 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
1) It's a fake because the production quality is too good? Huh? Okay, so I know there are a plethora of low quality wedding videos out there but that doesn't mean there is no such thing as a high quality wedding video. I have a friend who has one... they even spent time rehearsing the entire thing with the cameraman so he'd know the timing of it and when to zoom in and out, etc.
Fair point. I was just offering my thoughts, based upon what I saw this morning. It was nothing conclusive.
Old 20 October 2008, 12:07 PM

Hmmm... let's have a wedding on a high platform above a pool, and you know what? Let's not even put a velvet rope or anything across the brink. Then let's have the priest stand with the backs of his shoes three inches from the edge and hope that nothing unfortunate happens!

Wonko
Old 20 October 2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
audio crystal, as if the officiant is wearing a microphone,
My cousin recently had an outdoor wedding and the officiant wore a microphone.
I had an indoor wedding and was too damn nervous about having to speak in public and hopefully not screw it up that I can't remember if our minister has a microphone or not.
I would think for an outdoor wedding it would be pretty standard.