snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 16 November 2012, 01:55 PM

Icon103 No more Twinkies? Hostess plans to shut down

Hostess Brands Inc., the bankrupt maker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread, said it had sought court permission to go out of business after failing to get wage and benefit cuts from thousands of its striking bakery workers.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3175964.story
Old 16 November 2012, 01:58 PM

Don't worry, Obama has said he'll authorize releases from the strategic Twinkie reserves in case of shortages.
Old 16 November 2012, 02:00 PM

I don't think I have ever seen Twinkies for sale here, but maybe I have. Anyway, apparently in Canada the brand is owned by Saputo, and they will continue making Twinkies here, according to CBC radio this morning.

But this news item about it is old, and I can't find any more recent proof that they will continue to be made in Canada.

ETA: I love that this Globe and Mail article has extensive mentions of the Zombieland-Twinkie connection: http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...ut-of-business
Old 16 November 2012, 02:05 PM

I myself blame the fact that they stopped making their mini-glazed donuts -- or at least selling them anywhere I can find them.

Unfortunately it's giving people new ammunition for making the case that unions are evil, or at least obsolete.

Since the brands are going to be up for sale, I doubt that the nation will be without Twinkies for long. But Hostess clearly has an enormous distribution network -- their products are pretty ubiquitous in groceries and mini-markets around here. It will be interesting to see what takes over the shelf space in the short run, and whether the new owners are able to get the same kind of presence.

Some are seeing this as a victory for healthy eating. Still, there should be time to run out and buy up some Twinkies and put them away. They last forever, y'know.
Old 16 November 2012, 02:49 PM

What's Tallahassee going to do now?
Old 16 November 2012, 03:18 PM

The major Hostess brands, Twinkies and Wonder Bread especially, have enough of a brand recognition that another baked goods or snack food company will snatch them up. I doubt we'll be Twinkie-less especially for very long.

Last edited by JoeBentley; 16 November 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 16 November 2012, 03:23 PM

I'm so glad I got that double chocolate mini donut monkey off my back, months ago. I haven't eaten a twinkie or any other hostess products in decades. I feel for the workers, but I think Hostesses' time has come.
Old 16 November 2012, 03:24 PM

And as Mark Evanier asked this morning, how can they stop making Twinkies and Ding-Dongs just as states are legalizing marijuana?
Old 16 November 2012, 04:11 PM

Just wanted to "like" the phrase "double chocolate mini donut monkey."

Nick
Old 16 November 2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagurit View Post
I'm so glad I got that double chocolate mini donut monkey off my back, months ago. I haven't eaten a twinkie or any other hostess products in decades. I feel for the workers, but I think Hostesses' time has come.
That's what I was thinking as well. I just passed the snack cake section in our grocery store the other night and thought about how much I used to like lune (or maybe luna?) half moons. Didn't make me want to buy a box though.
Old 16 November 2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
Frighteningly enough, this was my first thought as well.
Old 16 November 2012, 06:08 PM

Twinkies, Twinkies, sugary log
Fill'd with gooey arterial clog,
Down to earth you soon will crash,
Hope ev'ryone has saved a stash,
Twinkies, Twinkies, alas, good-bye,
Sad to see such sweet cakes die.
Old 16 November 2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I myself blame the fact that they stopped making their mini-glazed donuts -- or at least selling them anywhere I can find them.

Unfortunately it's giving people new ammunition for making the case that unions are evil, or at least obsolete.
Yeah, I saw some of those comments.

It's hilarious- the company went into bankruptcy because, in part, because people got more health conscious so sales fell, the price of the ingredients rose but consumers weren't interested in buying as much of the products at higher prices, and the company was purchased by a holding company with a history of acquiring bankrupt companies and selling off their assets... but clearly this is all the union's fault.
Old 16 November 2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
Yeah a friend posted on Facebook that Hostess was closing and I replied with a photo of Tallahassee holding a shotgun and I said "Do you wanna tell him there's no more Twinkies?"

It's funny because just the other day I passed the Hostess display at the grocery store and was thinking its been years since I had a Twinkie and thought about buying a package.
Old 16 November 2012, 09:31 PM

Apparently there's already been some initial feelers from McKree Foods (parent company of Little Debbie snackcakes), Flowers Food (which own the Tastykake Brand), and a few others for at least some of the brand names, and Grupo Bimbo, parent company of Sara Lee and distributor of Wonderbread in Mexico, might buy the Wonderbread name.
Old 16 November 2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xia View Post
It's funny because just the other day I passed the Hostess display at the grocery store and was thinking its been years since I had a Twinkie and thought about buying a package.
I literally haven't had a Twinkie in over two decades, till about a month ago when I was at a gas station convenience mart, and saw that they had chocolate cream filled Twinkies. So I bought a package and...they were horrible. As always, I should have gotten some Zingers, or cupcakes.
Old 16 November 2012, 11:33 PM

Never cared for Twinkies much(they're okay in a pinch), but Ho-Hos? Now we're talkin'.

smitty"Ho-Hoholic"kins
Old 16 November 2012, 11:41 PM

Twinkies always made me feel like my teeth had furry little coats on. I do love Ho-Hos though. If Little Debbie gets them I hope they don't make Ho-Hos taste like the Swiss Cake Rolls LD sells. Those things are a travesty.
Old 17 November 2012, 01:38 AM

I haven't had any of those things in... I can't even remember when the last time I had anything by Hostess, probably grade school. If I'm going to bother with something, I prefer getting a freshly made product, not something that's been sitting on a store shelf for a week after being trucked from who knows how far away.
Old 17 November 2012, 01:45 AM

It is funny I don't think I can remember the last time I had any of the Hostess products. Out to sea for some reason I had really got hooked on Zebra Cakes, but those are a Little Debbie product.

Maybe Twinkies were just one of those things that were far more iconic then they actually were popular.