snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 09 March 2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
So, if you filled your dryer with nothing but dry towels, the load would dry instantly!

- snopes
This reminds me of an old joke that if a theoretical physicist would be asked to calculate how stabe a 3-legged table is, he'd form a general problem of stability of an n-legged table. The results for the border cases of a table with 0 legs and infinite legs would be instant, but the general solution would take years.
Old 09 March 2007, 03:17 AM
FloridaGirl

Ok, if I have one or two articles of clothing, adding a towel or two does improve overall drying time.

Why?

Keeps the clothes moving. One or two things "get wadded up" on one of those paddle thingies. So, several things help keep everything moving. At least, this is my theory.
Old 09 March 2007, 03:02 PM
gmholler

I can't say reducing drying time is always what I'm after, but I've learned to add a dry towel or two to the dryer when the load has just one or two things in it - they don't get as wrinkled that way. Yes, the wet items DO seem to get dried quicker, but I can't say I've timed it.
Old 29 March 2007, 11:48 PM
Walter

Well, it makes perfect sense to me. Every time those wet clothes bounce around the dryer, they rub off some moisture on the dry towels and that helps to speed the drying time - it spreads the moisture. The heat can and exhaust can only remove so much and if you spread the moisture around it helps.

I throw clean wet/damp towels into the dryer with dry wrinkled pants or shirts and that get the wrinkles out real fast. These new LG machines do about the same thing and they cost $1200!
Old 30 March 2007, 12:19 AM
Sunny Lea

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Hamilton View Post
When I put only one or two things in the dryer, it takes them longer to dry than if I have in a full or half load. The clothes just kind of wad themselves up and stick to the sides of the drier. When they do dry, they are wrinkled up like a washrag that has dried in the wrung-out postition. If I put in a towel or two, it knocks the clothes into the center and helps with the airflow through the clothes themselves. They also come out less wrinkled.
Same here. In fact, when they get all bunched up, they tend to dry slower, since they are all in a wad. I've noticed that things dry faster with a towel in there, but I do admit that, no, I've never timed it or anything.
Old 31 March 2007, 12:32 AM
o4o3o4

No you guys got it all wrong! If the load has nothing but dry towels, of course it would dry faster. The dry towels would already be dried. Cause the load is the dry towels.
Old 01 April 2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o4o3o4 View Post
No you guys got it all wrong! If the load has nothing but dry towels, of course it would dry faster. The dry towels would already be dried. Cause the load is the dry towels.
...That's the joke, yes.
Old 11 April 2007, 12:44 AM
PaulM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruwan2b View Post
But no matter how many dry towels you put in, there is the same amount of moisture in the dryer...
If you have 8 wet towels with 2 ounces of water, adding a dry towel will just end up with 9 wet towels with 2 ounces of water.....
I vote no difference.
True, but "dry" id a relative term. 2 oz of water splt between a dozen towels counts as being effectively dry.

Also - 9 wet towels have more surface area, and that might affect the rate at which the hot air can extract moisture.