snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 24 May 2014, 05:26 AM

Icon05 Your Strawman: Paying tax, attending court, etc. is optional?

About 14 years ago, someone told me that my name on my birth certificate, social security card, credit card, and drivers license is in all capital letters; and that it is not actually me. He said it is a corporate fiction called a "strawman" which represents the human me, in the legal world. He said that if you get a traffic ticket, you are not required to pay it or even go to court for it. As long as you aren't harming someone else or their property or trying to scam them, then you are free to do it. They say you can buy things on a credit card, and when the bill comes in the mail you would stamp "Accepted For Value" on it and send it back, and are able to get away with not paying. They say you have to file UCC forms to go through what they call the "redemption process" to sort of take back your strawman. If it comes to the point where they send the police to come get you and bring you to court, there is a set of 3 questions and 1 statement you say to the judge, then he is supposed to dismiss the case. 1. "What is your name?" 2. "Do you have a claim against me?" 3. "Do you know anyone who does have a claim against me?" 4. "I request the order of the court be released unto me immediately."

I did some research back then and over the years, and I have found information on the internet that verifies this and info that denies it. I am wondering if there are any lawyers on here who can confirm this or deny any of this in a convincing way. (please read the sources when you have time)

There is too much detail for me to go into, so here are some sources:
http://www.yourstrawman.com/ (writer is from UK but applies to the US)
http://understandcontractlawandyouwin.com/a4v/
http://www.1215.org/lawnotes/work-in...-questions.txt
http://www.scambusters.org/strawman.html
search youtube for strawman, accepted for value, a4v, redemption process
Old 27 May 2014, 02:23 PM

Roll eyes

Depends on what you mean by a convincing way. It's b******t.

UCC forms and laws have nothing to do with the human body or its spirit. UCC stands for Uniform Commercial Code, it is a model law that may or may not be adopted by the various states and, if they do adopt it, they are welcome to make changes. It would not affect the federal government under any circumstances because it is state law.

However, I suspect if you think there's something to this, none of that will change your mind.

Seaboe
Old 27 May 2014, 02:28 PM

Also keep in mind that the definition of a strawman is an easily destroyed thing created by one's opponent.
Old 27 May 2014, 05:44 PM

Not paying for things does harm a great deal of people. It harms the credit card company, which will pass its costs along to its customers in interest and fees and in retail credit processing fees, and these stores will pass those costs along to both credit card users and non-credit card users.

Now, you can "get away with" not paying your credit card, to an extent. They'll cancel your account, and put a collections team on you, and may well get the courts to compel you to pay, and then to garnish your wages (should you have any) if you still refuse to pay, and that takes time; meanwhile you're living your life with your stolen goods. If you happen to live in a state that hasn't re-instituted debtor's prisons, you probably won't go to jail for the failure to pay that month or two's credit card bills. If you don't have a job, there won't be wages to garnish. But all of this seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to to be an absolute jerk who refuses to live up to his or her social responsibilities.
Old 27 May 2014, 06:03 PM

You might want to peruse the "I'm Dealing With A Sovereign Citizen" thread over in Rantidote; it bears directly on this morass of criminal illegality you're becoming enmeshed in.
Old 28 May 2014, 12:15 AM

So are you guys all in agreement that the court cases here: http://www.1215.org/lawnotes/work-in...-questions.txt are all complete works of fiction? They make it appear as though there have been many cases where people have tried this and succeeded, and many where they have failed because they didn't know what they were doing. It would have you believe that every judge and competent lawyer knows about all this. Is anyone able to direct me on how to confirm or disprove that these court cases actually took place as described? Does anyone know a judge or lawyer personally who could ask?
Old 28 May 2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Depends on what you mean by a convincing way. It's b******t.

UCC forms and laws have nothing to do with the human body or its spirit. UCC stands for Uniform Commercial Code, it is a model law that may or may not be adopted by the various states and, if they do adopt it, they are welcome to make changes. It would not affect the federal government under any circumstances because it is state law.

However, I suspect if you think there's something to this, none of that will change your mind.

Seaboe
The idea is that the only laws that matter are common law, the basic moral laws like do not harm anyone, do not harm their property, do not scam anyone. (oddly, the latter is being broken by some fraudsters pushing these ideas) And that what we call laws are "statutes" where we must enter into contract and allow ourselves to be charged with those claims in order to be held responsible. I am not a conspiracy theorist, I do not assume that there is anything to this, I just don't know why everyone is generally so dismissive of all this. I originally posted this in the legal forum, but the moderators must have deemed this a conspiracy theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Not paying for things does harm a great deal of people. It harms the credit card company, which will pass its costs along to its customers in interest and fees and in retail credit processing fees, and these stores will pass those costs along to both credit card users and non-credit card users.

Now, you can "get away with" not paying your credit card, to an extent. They'll cancel your account, and put a collections team on you, and may well get the courts to compel you to pay, and then to garnish your wages (should you have any) if you still refuse to pay, and that takes time; meanwhile you're living your life with your stolen goods. If you happen to live in a state that hasn't re-instituted debtor's prisons, you probably won't go to jail for the failure to pay that month or two's credit card bills. If you don't have a job, there won't be wages to garnish. But all of this seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to to be an absolute jerk who refuses to live up to his or her social responsibilities.
Their reasoning behind this is that they do not feel responsible to use their very real work to pay off a debt that "never existed" in the first place. We have a fiat currency, backed by nothing tangible. Banks only need to have usually only 10% of the amount all their holders have entrusted to the banks. This means when they give out a loan, those are just numbers they typed into a computer, essentially creating money out of thin air. (also causing inflation) They give you something they never had in the first place and then expect you to pay it back with interest. This is in violation of common law, the constitution, and many religions as well.
Old 29 May 2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
You might want to peruse the "I'm Dealing With A Sovereign Citizen" thread over in Rantidote; it bears directly on this morass of criminal illegality you're becoming enmeshed in.
This helped a lot. There is a lot of related information from a lawyer's point of view, which is sort of what I am looking for. I am however disturbed by the quantity of replies that are just completely dismissive of the subject by insulting sovereign boy and anyone who believes in those theories.