snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 19 November 2012, 08:10 PM

Default Judge ask Hostess to mediate with Union

http://t.money.msn.com/business-news...19&id=15812924

Quote:
"Many people, myself included, have serious questions as to the logic behind this strike," said Judge Robert Drain, who heard the case in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York in White Plains, N.Y. "Not to have gone through that step leaves a huge question mark in this case."
Old 19 November 2012, 08:49 PM

Impossible. Private equity firms are all evil.

On a serious note, whatever news channel my Cardiologist office was playing reported that there are several companies interested in purchasing the Hostess brand.
Old 19 November 2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Impossible. Private equity firms are all evil.

On a serious note, whatever news channel my Cardiologist office was playing reported that there are several companies interested in purchasing the Hostess brand.
The key word is brand. Not many people are interested in the company due to the Unions.
Old 19 November 2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
CNN reported the other day that "speaking on condition of anonymity" that representatives from McKree Foods (parent company of Little Debbie snack cakes) and Flowers Food (which own the Tastykake Brand) have admitted started to put feelers out to purchase at least some of the name brands. I figure the still recognizable Twinkies brand name would be a good deal for Little Debbie, which already produces a Twinkie clone (The Little Debbie Cloud Cake) and they could pretty much just buy and slap the more recognizable label on an already existing product with very little sunk cost outside the cost of the trademark. Especially since the recent news has probably been the biggest advertising for Twinkies in decades.

But that was before today's announcement of more mediation, so who knows.

Last edited by JoeBentley; 19 November 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 20 November 2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
It's not even close to what happened to hostess. If it wasn't for the VC then hostess would have closed years ago. Not all VC are bad.
I'm sorry but what does VC stand for? Only thing I can think of is those people the US fought during the Vietnam war & that doesn't seem accurate. So if you could provide some context.
Old 20 November 2012, 09:55 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
I'm sorry but what does VC stand for? Only thing I can think of is those people the US fought during the Vietnam war & that doesn't seem accurate. So if you could provide some context.
Venture Capitalists, I believe.
Old 20 November 2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
I do love Ho-Hos though. If Little Debbie gets them I hope they don't make Ho-Hos taste like the Swiss Cake Rolls LD sells. Those things are a travesty.
Really? I've always preferred Little Debbie's Swiss Cake Rolls to Ho-Hos. I find the cake part of Ho-Hos dry and the filling gritty.
Old 20 November 2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Jello View Post
Really? I've always preferred Little Debbie's Swiss Cake Rolls to Ho-Hos. I find the cake part of Ho-Hos dry and the filling gritty.
I agree. Also, the chocolate coating on the Ho-Hos tend to crack and fall off easily. Swiss Cake Rolls FTW.
Old 20 November 2012, 02:45 PM

I also prefer Swiss Cake Rolls. As a matter of fact I prefer Little Debbies products to most of what Hostess as to offer. They are usually much cheaper too. The last few Twinkies I have eaten have been disapointing.
Old 20 November 2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
I agree. Also, the chocolate coating on the Ho-Hos tend to crack and fall off easily. Swiss Cake Rolls FTW.
So I'm the only one who picks off the chocolate coating and eats that first, then the rest of the HoHo?(Probably. )

Personally, I find the filling of the Swiss Cake Roll too sweet. To each hir own.
Old 20 November 2012, 10:27 PM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
Victor Charlie
Old 22 November 2012, 10:50 PM

Roll eyes Twinkies bakers say they'd rather lose jobs than take pay cuts

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AL06U20121122

Quote:
Interviews with more than a dozen workers showed there was little sign of regret from employees who voted for the strike. They said they would rather lose their jobs than put up with lower wages and poorer benefits.

"They're just taking from us," said Kenneth Johnson, 46, of Missouri. He said he earned roughly $35,000 with overtime last year, down from about $45,000 five years ago.

"I really can't afford to not be working, but this is not worth it. I'd rather go work somewhere else or draw unemployment," said Johnson, a worker at Hostess for 23 years.
Umm, if you'd rather go work somewhere else, you're free to do so at any time. You don't have to make the company you're currently working for shut down first.
Old 22 November 2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Umm, if you'd rather go work somewhere else, you're free to do so at any time. You don't have to make the company you're currently working for shut down first.
Yeah it's statements like that that do sorta make me think that maybe the union wasn't perfectly innocent in all of this.

I support unions, but I won't lie that sometimes some of their tactics and rhetoric have a sort of... petty vibe to them.

Last edited by JoeBentley; 22 November 2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 22 November 2012, 11:02 PM

True, but the company doesn't have to shut down regardless - or at least not as a direct cause of the employees refusing to take a pay cut. There were (and possibly still are) many other opportunities for management to keep the company operating, that they've focused solely on one is not the fault of the employees.
Old 22 November 2012, 11:05 PM

Yeah but one side acting like a petulant child in a conflict doesn't automatically make the other side the responsible adult.

In other words I'm almost at the point of saying Hostess and BCTGM deserve each other.
Old 23 November 2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
So I'm the only one who picks off the chocolate coating and eats that first, then the rest of the HoHo?(Probably. )
I peel off the coating and eat it last.
Old 23 November 2012, 03:52 AM

My mom sent me an editorial from the Wall Street Journal blaming the Hostess closure on.. infighting between the Bakers' Union and the Teamsters. Also, Democrats.

My mom still has yet to figure out that just because something is printed on the WSJ's Op-Ed page doesn't make it true.
Old 23 November 2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Yeah it's statements like that that do sorta make me think that maybe the union wasn't perfectly innocent in all of this.

I support unions, but I won't lie that sometimes some of their tactics and rhetoric have a sort of... petty vibe to them.
The union was far from innocent in all this. The problem is a complex one. The union is under the delusion someone else will buy everything and they'll be back to work tomorrow. That's what they are hoping for.

From what I know all the valid offers are for the brands only.
Old 26 November 2012, 12:31 AM

Default A Cinematic Homage to the Twinkie

Old 26 November 2012, 12:35 AM

Default Poor management, not union intransigence, killed Hostess

Let's get a few things clear. Hostess didn't fail for any of the reasons you've been fed. It didn't fail because Americans demanded more healthful food than its Twinkies and Ho-Hos snack cakes. It didn't fail because its unions wanted it to die.

It failed because the people that ran it had no idea what they were doing. Every other excuse is just an attempt by the guilty to blame someone else.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,966735.column