snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 19 November 2011, 12:42 AM

Icon07 Boys will be boys

Comment: picture speaks volumes. Is this really Pres Obama?

Old 19 November 2011, 01:04 AM

If we're meant to be deciding which one looks cooler or more trustworthy then I ought to say that people in really nice hats always have my vote.
Old 19 November 2011, 03:57 AM

Yes, but one grew up to be an @$$hole. I'd rather focus on what they're doing now.

I know that we left-leaning types had fun trotting out W's frat boy antics, but I sincerely doubt that most of us would have been bringing them up if not for the fact that so much of the frat boy persona continued to permeate his presidential style (presuming to give Merkel a back rub, "bring it on," the NFBSKin' smirk...)
Old 19 November 2011, 07:15 AM

I never really cared about the allegations of what W was supposed to have done in his college days, nor for Clinton's episode of not inhaling (though that was possibly the stupidest response he could have had). What they're doing in the present is decidedly more relevant.
Old 19 November 2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
If we're meant to be deciding which one looks cooler or more trustworthy then I ought to say that people in really nice hats always have my vote.
But he's leaning on a wall! Rick Perry never leaned on a wall in a nice hat even when he was off-duty!

I don't see why anybody would question whether that was Obama. It looks just like him, and it's part of a fairly well-known set of photos that he posed for as a student. They were taken by Lisa Jack in 1980, apparently - Obama would have been 19, not 22. (The Guardian says he was 20 but he was born in 1961, so they're wrong about either his age or the date of the photos).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...person-of-year
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gall...tos?intcmp=239

So, is the other one really Rick Perry?

(eta) The rest of the Obama photos from Time magazine:

http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...866765,00.html

Last edited by Richard W; 19 November 2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 19 November 2011, 12:45 PM

Just read up on Rick Perry's military service. He was a C-130 pilot who dinished as a captain. Not wishing to show disrespect to people who serve but it wasn't exactly a great career.
Old 19 November 2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Just read up on Rick Perry's military service. He was a C-130 pilot who dinished as a captain. Not wishing to show disrespect to people who serve but it wasn't exactly a great career.
So why was a C-130 driver dressed up in a G-suit and playing fighter jock? His training and career would have been entirely on the multi-engine turboprop track. He would have never had a legitimate reason to set foot in a T-38 Talon jet trainer.

Last edited by Lost_Cavalier; 19 November 2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Cleared up some details.
Old 19 November 2011, 01:54 PM

I was going to say, that's not a C-130... It has two canopies, though, so it could be a trainer variant of something. I assume all USAF pilots would need to train on fighter jets even if they don't end up flying them - is that true?
Old 19 November 2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I was going to say, that's not a C-130... It has two canopies, though, so it could be a trainer variant of something. I assume all USAF pilots would need to train on fighter jets even if they don't end up flying them - is that true?
For the U.S. Air Force, you'd fly mostly single-engine turboprops as a pilot candidate for the initial pilot training. After graduation, you get to select a specialized "track," based on your class rank. There's the Fighter/Bomber Track, helicopter track, Airlift/Tanker track, the Multi-Engine Turboprop Track, etc. Each has their own specialized trainer.

As a C-130 pilot, he would have been on the Multi-Engine Turboprop Track, and would have never been in a supersonic jet trainer (assuming that's a T-38 Talon, which is my best guess).

It's pretty rare for a pilot (at least a Captain) to train on multiple aircraft, as each one is way too complicated and specialized for their particular missions. Senior officers might get some orientation on different airframes so they can more effectively plan multi-role missions, but not a guy who separated from the USAF as a junior Captain.

I'm guessing this is from an incentive ride ( a reward for exceptional service. A buddy of mine got a supersonic ride in an F-111 for re-enlisting), or a buddy who went on the Fighter Track and hooked him up with an orientation flight.

At worst, it's an entirely posed image. We ran into quite a few of those types when I was Iraq, when some clerk asked if he could crawl up into the turret of the trucks in our Scout platoon, and pose for pictures for their girlfriends back home, looking tough behind a .50 cal or Mark 19, where they weren't even sure how to properly grip the butterfly triggers.
Old 19 November 2011, 03:05 PM

waffles and words

Last edited by Wolf333; 19 November 2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 19 November 2011, 05:32 PM

Canada

FWIW, the words painted on the aircraft (nearest his helmet) say "US Air Force Training" and "Serial No."

ETA: Here's an article in which the photo appears, credited to the Rick Perry Campaign.

Last edited by Mateus; 19 November 2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 19 November 2011, 07:38 PM

It's absurd to claim that the "picture speaks volumes." Perry's Wikipedia page says his college pranks included M-80s in toilets and chickens in a closet. One could juxtapose a photo of Perry's college pranks with one of Obama hitting the books. And that wouldn't speak volumes either. The only point of any substance that could be drawn from these photographs is that Obama didn't serve in the military. And really, just from his photograph, we can't even tell that much. And so what if he isn't a veteran? In 1980, we could've put a photo of Carter in his Naval uniform next to one of Reagan acting with a chimp. And that wouldn't speak volumes either.
Old 19 November 2011, 07:42 PM

Yes, as a young man, Obama on at least one occasion wore a big floppy hat and smoked a cigarette, behavior which, when engaged in a by a person of color, probably screams "Marijuana-smoking pimp!" to some people.

But he was also the editor of the Harvard Law Review.
Old 21 November 2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: picture speaks volumes. Is this really Pres Obama?
Rick James was a fighter pilot???

Old 21 November 2011, 08:16 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Cavalier View Post
At worst, it's an entirely posed image. We ran into quite a few of those types when I was Iraq, when some clerk asked if he could crawl up into the turret of the trucks in our Scout platoon, and pose for pictures for their girlfriends back home, looking tough behind a .50 cal or Mark 19, where they weren't even sure how to properly grip the butterfly triggers.
A quick question and a slight hijack. How do troops feel about guys like that, who want to pose for "Rambo pics" for souveneirs when their actual job is nothing of the sort?
Let's assume for the sake of argument that the guy is not claiming to be in a front line unit, he just want a pic of him with some serious hardware he rarely gets to be near.
Old 22 November 2011, 12:01 AM

If it's a problem that Obama was photographed wearing a hat, I want to know what it says about Perry that he has two.
Old 22 November 2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardWizard View Post
If it's a problem that Obama was photographed wearing a hat, I want to know what it says about Perry that he has two.
That's a good observation! Was he planning to wear the garrison cap under the helmet?

(I've no idea what air force protocol would be regarding wearing of "cover" on the tarmac. I have a hard time imagining that you'd wear a service hat until you got in the plane and then stow it in a glove box when you put your helmet on!)

Not that I care what picture any candidate may or may not have posed for years ago, but it does tend to further suggest a staged photo, doesn't it?
Old 22 November 2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
A quick question and a slight hijack. How do troops feel about guys like that, who want to pose for "Rambo pics" for souveneirs when their actual job is nothing of the sort?
Let's assume for the sake of argument that the guy is not claiming to be in a front line unit, he just want a pic of him with some serious hardware he rarely gets to be near.
Most guys would tell them to NFSBK off, or some version of "you wanna get in that NFBSKin' turret? Then NFBSKin' reclass to cav or infantry, and then you can get in that NFBSKin' turret. We had four NFBSKing Gunners die in their turrets, so we really could use some replacements, you NFBSKin' POG*!"

Most would slink off with their tail between their legs after that. There was an incident where one of our Gunners was badly wounded by an IED, and they had driven him to the main trauma hospital in the Green Zone. The rest of the platoon was waiting outside for him to get out of surgery, with the trucks parked out front, when some doofus strolling by made the photo request. Things got...ugly.

*Personnel Other than Grunt
Old 17 December 2011, 01:24 PM

If pictures speak volumes, I have no idea what these pictures are trying to say at all.
Old 17 December 2011, 03:29 PM

It would be great if Rick Perry use "Highway To The Danger Zone" as his campaign song.

His ego's writing checks his body can't cash.