snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 10 November 2013, 07:59 PM

Police New Hampshire man takes vanity plate debate to state's top court

A New Hampshire man who last year changed his name to "human" has gone to the state's top court to defend his right to a vanity plate that insults police: COPSLIE.

http://news.yahoo.com/hampshire-man-...222719066.html
Old 10 November 2013, 09:39 PM

Does he intend to never do anything like speed? Because I know I wouldn't want to have a plate like that on my car and break any law in it, no matter how minor.
Old 10 November 2013, 09:48 PM

If I were a gambling man he thinks that either they won’t pull him over on the basis that he would complain of discrimination or he can get out of any citation by raising a stink that he is being unfairly targeted and make a payday from the city.
Old 10 November 2013, 10:54 PM

Those would be very stupid things for him to think.
Old 10 November 2013, 11:04 PM

I agree. It also isn’t smart to have a plate like he chose as you point out. He is really stupid in that regard but he isn’t thinking about “smarts” in his choice. He’s thinking of making a dig at the cops and force the state to enforce it. Any plan of avoiding the cops in the future is based on flawed thinking.
Old 10 November 2013, 11:25 PM

United States

diddy, you've got it all wrong.

Even if he is cited for something, when they write out the citation they'll have to put his license plate on it: COPSLIE. Then he'll have a rock solid confession from a bona fide police officer on a legal document that cops lie and he'll be able to take that to court where any judge who takes their duty to the Constitution seriously will overturn the citation on those grounds (an untrustworthy accuser). And if the judge doesn't see it that way, then I'll wager dollars to dimes that they're sitting next to a gold-fringed flag.

Old 10 November 2013, 11:35 PM

Does he think we're all laboring under the delusion that cops never lie?
Old 10 November 2013, 11:47 PM

Lainie, for a minute or two I pondered whether this was based on something deeper. Then I realized that would be highly unlikely based on this man's probable intelligence. So, maybe...

But then, I don't understand why his second choice was GR8GOVT. They don't seem to mesh.
Old 10 November 2013, 11:51 PM

ASL, I was laughing so hard at that!
Old 11 November 2013, 12:01 AM

The worst part is that while I certainly do mean it in jest, I really could see someone like this making that argument.
Old 11 November 2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Even if he is cited for something, when they write out the citation they'll have to put his license plate on it: COPSLIE. Then he'll have a rock solid confession from a bona fide police officer on a legal document that cops lie and he'll be able to take that to court where any judge who takes their duty to the Constitution seriously will overturn the citation on those grounds (an untrustworthy accuser). And if the judge doesn't see it that way, then I'll wager dollars to dimes that they're sitting next to a gold-fringed flag.
Except the "confession" will be in all capitals, which means it is the private corporation which was created for the sovereign citizen which is the cop. And since all government officials have had their corporate connection disassociated, it would have been Officer Inc that had confessed, not the officer in court.
Old 11 November 2013, 03:21 PM

OK now you guys are giving me flashbacks. Very unpleasant flashbacks.