snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 19 July 2017, 12:30 AM

Icon215

Every time the "Odd thing you saw today" thread comes to the top, I hope that someone will have posted that they saw a cow on the roof of a cotton house.
Old 19 July 2017, 02:33 PM

Glasses

I'll keep an eye out for that while I'm in Europe, ASL, just for you.

This is something that made two of my coworkers and me laugh, but may be too much of an in-joke to translate.

When we set up document retention notices (aka hold notices, aka freeze notices), we refer to the people who might have information as custodians. Someone who was on two holds left the company without first contacting the law department (this is on the managers termination checklist; something like "are you on any holds? If so, contact the law department").

If they fail to do this, it's annoying, but they can't turn in their computer for wiping without having the hold lifted, so we still get their stuff. In this instance, however, the manager contacted HR, who went into a tizzy because they knew nothing about the hold, and nothing (they said) about notifying the law department.

I explained that was because it was the custodian's responsibility to deal with the hold, not his manager's, and not HR's.

So one of the HR guys comes back with "he's not a custodian."

That's the line that set me and my coworkers off. I responded that while his job title wasn't custodian, he was indeed a custodian of records.

Okay, looking at that, I suspect no-one here is going to find it funny, but I'm leaving it be. I still think it was hilarious. My coworker said we should frame the email string.

Seaboe
Old 19 July 2017, 10:10 PM

My husband and I like Heinz spicy ketchup and French's spicy mustard, and a few other odds and ends that for some time now we haven't been able to get off the shelf at the local Wal-Mart.

So, we've taken to ordering our specialty groceries online either through Wal-Mart or Amazon or whatever.

We're almost buying more groceries online now than we are in the store!

I joked today to DH as we put in another online order that Wal-Mart put "Mom and Pop" stores out of business, and now it's putting its own brick and mortar stores out of business by forcing people to shop online for their not so common items!

I guess it make good business sense, though... you don't have to devote valuable shelf space to items that few people get but for which there is still a market. Stock the commonplace items in store and keep the weird stuff for online orders.
Old 19 July 2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Okay, looking at that, I suspect no-one here is going to find it funny, but I'm leaving it be. I still think it was hilarious. My coworker said we should frame the email string.

Seaboe
I found it funny. And I'm sure it was much funnier in context. We do that at my work, too -- laugh ourselves silly over odd and very specific things.
Old 20 July 2017, 02:13 PM

Glasses

I figure my coworkers and I sometimes find things funny because of stress; I don't think this was one of those things.

Stress, however, is building in my daily life. Most of it's not work related. I have been dealing (long distance, thank goodness) with doing research for a notoriously difficult attorney (not one of mine), in a database that can be a nightmare to work with (it's a platform I'm not used to searching, and the db has almost 1.5 million documents). And we do move in less than a week. But I'm pretty much ready for the move, and while I've been busy at work, I'm not swamped. Most miraculously of all, the difficult attorney is being nice to me.

Personal life, though. I'm trying to get ready to go to Helsinki (laundry, house cleaning, packing), my BIL's father went into hospice on Monday (and I can't go see him until Saturday, if he makes it that far), and my BFF called me last night. Her father is failing much faster than the neurologist predicted (but not faster than the GP who saw him before the neurologist predicted). So I will be going to Spokane for Labor Day after all. Plus a few days in October, a week or more in December, and possibly Thanksgiving as well. Sigh.

I've been very much a hermit outside of Family (my BFF is Family with a capital F, versus family to whom I am related by blood) lately, and that's going to continue. I need the time for myself. My BFF is going to rearrange her schedule again to spend as much time as possible with her Dad, but I pressured her to continue to take a day off once a week--if she doesn't take time for herself, she's not going to make it (well, she will physically, but not mentally).

This is not a good summer.

Seaboe
Old 20 July 2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I found it funny. And I'm sure it was much funnier in context. We do that at my work, too -- laugh ourselves silly over odd and very specific things.
I found it funny too...

in a "I know what you mean" sort of way.

Too many people have that NIMBY attitude about theirs and other people's job in the same department.
"We're not responsible for that!"
Yes, you are. Just because you don't know all the quirks your job entails doesn't mean it's not part of your job.
Old 21 July 2017, 02:14 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
"We're not responsible for that!"
Yes, you are. Just because you don't know all the quirks your job entails doesn't mean it's not part of your job.
Actually, in this case, it was the other way around. The manager wasn't responsible for the failure of the employee to follow through.

Legal holds are funny things. The person with the documents is the one responsible for them, even though there are numerous people who could get in trouble if that person destroys them. It's my responsibility to let the 163 people who might have documents know that they need to be saved, and what precisely those documents are (in the vaguest possible way, to make sure we don't miss anything); it's the responsibility of those 163 to keep them, and to let their successors know about the hold (and also notify me about their successor so I can add that person to the hold). Oh, and to pay whatever costs are associated with keeping those documents.

Seaboe
Old 22 July 2017, 04:25 AM

Bang Head

The bell curve for human behavior is apparently much broader than I previously thought.