snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 24 March 2018, 04:53 AM

Give me eight if it is the rear paws.
Old 24 March 2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Teaching someone else's dog to react to horrific and offensive references is not just speech. I don't much like the "pets as property" legal model, but here, it seems apt enough to describe it as damaging his girlfriend's property. A bit like painting a swastika on it.
If the video had never come to light and he never mentioned this 'prank' to his girlfriend then she would never have noticed any change in the dog at all unless someone inadvertently said "Gas the Jews" in its presence, and if that was a few weeks down the road I doubt it would even remember the phrase and react. I don't agree that the dog was "damaged".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Yes, and this isn't incompatible with what I said, about people very often meaning the opposite of what they said. Since people very often do all sorts of things, they can very often do both, or either of those things. This particular video doesn't seem to me to have been intended to be shared widely or intended to cause hatred or violence to any particular group or individual. It seems to me to fit what I was talking about more closely than it fits the different situation that you were talking about.
I'm pretty sure that's where the issue of context comes in - it doesn't really matter if he didn't intend for the video to be seen by millions of people and offend them, it was seen and it did cause offence.
I guess you could compare it to a vehicular manslaughter charge where it's completely irrelevant whether the driver intended to hit anyone with their car, the fact is that they didn't take sufficient precautions to safeguard others and they committed an offence under the law.

Also note that the particular law he was charged under was for sending a public message which was "grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character." It doesn't necessarily have to be inciting hatred or violence, the fact that it was grossly offensive or indecent or obscene was enough to get him convicted.
It was definitely offensive but I don't know if it was grossly offensive, I guess that's pretty well completely subjective so it's up to everyone's interpretation of they agree with the conviction or not.
Old 24 March 2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
If the video had never come to light and he never mentioned this 'prank' to his girlfriend then she would never have noticed any change in the dog at all unless someone inadvertently said "Gas the Jews" in its presence, and if that was a few weeks down the road I doubt it would even remember the phrase and react. I don't agree that the dog was "damaged".
But he did do those things. It wouldn't have been a prank if he never mentioned it to her, or demonstrated it.

(I don't think it's possible really, to "inadvertently" say that phrase. But it is certainly possible for someone to say it in the context of a discussion of historical events rather than out of anti-Semitism.)
Old 23 April 2018, 10:53 AM

Man who filmed dog giving Nazi salutes fined - 800