snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Technical Questions

Old 06 June 2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I was thinking of it as an emergency backup: a place already set up that we could go to if these boards disappeared altogether, or if logins stopped working.

I'm not sure how others are thinking of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Me too - I asked most of the same things as erwins on Reddit...! I think the emergency backup option is best at the moment.
That's a good idea.

I've had 2 major forums that I visited on a regular basis shut down basically out of the blue (Etiquette Hell and Trolls with wooden spoon), and several more that are now defunct.
Old 07 June 2018, 12:51 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
I missed the end of it! There's actually 3 offshoots of it, as well...only one is linked from EtiquetteHell, though.
Yeah, Bad Manners is the one the Dame endorses and joined- it's run by AudreyQuest/JoieGirl. When she went all kerbonkers Manners World and Polite Paradise started up.
Old 07 June 2018, 03:32 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I lurked much more than I ever posted, so I'm guilty of not keeping the conversation going. I'm really sad to see this message board go downhill, and also that the Etiquette Hell one is gone. I'll join the Reddit group.

Oh man, I used to love that site.
Old 07 June 2018, 03:37 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
The end was spectacular. People blasted the moderation and got banned. The Dame got all hysterical and doxxed several people, posters called her on it and she doubled down. The board set up as a replacement- BadManners at createaforum, went ballistic when people discussed an ehellion who vanished after a racist post on ehell, The board owner demanded that they stop talking about racism and banned oodles of people including her mods.

Wow..I missed all of that. Sounds unpleasant.
Old 07 June 2018, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I don't intend to stop coming here, but there just aren't that many active discussions anymore. I haven't registered at Reddit because I'm not sure what the intention is there. Is it to recreate this forum, but under our own control? Because I don't see how our numbers won't just decrease further and faster. Do people think that Reddit is a much more viable medium? So that the numbers will go up, somehow?
It's theoretically possible, though unlikely, that recreating this board over there would actually increase our numbers, since apparently people can't join here. But yeah, I posted a similar question over there. Iím not sure how it's all going to work.
Old 07 June 2018, 09:34 PM

Good news; I got this response today:
Quote:
We are going to start a thread soon to discuss the future of the message board. We are looking at migrating it to Discourse and recruiting some moderators from the community.

Thanks for your interest and stay tuned!
-Vinny

--
Snopes.com - Operations
Old 07 June 2018, 10:13 PM

Oh wow. I just a took very brief look at it, that will be, very different. In a way it's more like what the board used to be, before UBB and vBulletin.

I mentioned Reddit earlier because people were starting to ask about some alternatives as well as where to go if this place vanishes. I initially began reading Reddit because this place was so quiet and I missed conversation. And frankly, I spend more time there and don't think to check here as often anymore. It's an option that people can use as little or as much as they want.
Old 07 June 2018, 11:45 PM

New platform, new mods.

I'd say probably time to make sure we all have anything we want to save backed up, just in case they opt to start with a clean slate.
Old 08 June 2018, 12:15 AM

Discourse? -- I'll have to go find out what Discourse is.

But at least we're finally getting some attention to the situation. Thanks, snopes and Vinny! (Does anybody here know Vinny?)

-- hmm. The Discourse page has Car Talk's site linked as an example. Maybe I'll try reading a bit over there to see what it's like.

snopes moved the boards before, and that seemed to work out OK, though I gather there were changes -- I don't think I ever logged on the old boards (though I read them occasionally) and don't know how much of a wrench the change was. But the old boards are still archived, so everything didn't just disappear.
Old 08 June 2018, 12:28 AM

Vinny is apparently a big-shot at snopes these days:
Vinny Green
Old 08 June 2018, 12:33 AM

I'm somewhat familiar with Discourse as a platform, and it's not a bad one or anything. I just wouldn't count on anything we currently have transferring like we were able to do with the phpBB move.
Old 08 June 2018, 01:23 AM

Discourse looks interesting - the "see who's active in the thread by user icon" feature on the CarTalk forum is kind of a nifty feature. I really wasn't too enthused about the Reddit-or-Facebook-as-unofficial-replacement option.

I wonder whether they would maintain this forum as a closed, but viewable/searchable entity like the old message board post-migration. In any case, nice to see that someone out there is listening!
Old 08 June 2018, 01:41 AM

Wasn't there a Facebook group at some point? I could have sworn I was a member but I don't see it listed anywhere now.
Old 08 June 2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Vinny is apparently a big-shot at snopes these days:
[URLVinny Green
You have to log in at Linkedin to see that page.

At which point Linkedin will repeatedly spam everybody in your address book; at any rate, judging by the amount of such junk I keep getting from them.

Given the last name, however, there seems to be quite a bit about him elsewhere. But I was mostly wondering whether he'd otherwise been involved with the boards.

ETA: Astra, there's a link to a Facebook page on the main snopes page; but several people have reported that they've been there and it's nothing like these boards.
Old 08 June 2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
ETA: Astra, there's a link to a Facebook page on the main snopes page; but several people have reported that they've been there and it's nothing like these boards.
I should have been more clear. I thought that several years ago there was a FB group for members of this board. There are several newer ones, including the more recent fan group that's linked from the revamped site, but I couldn't find anything that looked familiar. I know we had to have had something because it's how I ended up friends with a handful of board members.
Old 08 June 2018, 03:11 AM

Astra, there was such a group because that is also where I became friends with many board members.
Old 08 June 2018, 03:19 AM

Some of us, however, are determinedly avoiding Facebook.

-- Facebook just accidentally set everybody's private posts to public for two days. When they're already in the middle of a commotion about privacy.
Old 08 June 2018, 03:22 AM

Astra, was it this one? snopesters (part deaux)

There are a couple of Lisas on the membership list, but I don't know if any of them are you.
Old 08 June 2018, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Astra, there was such a group because that is also where I became friends with many board members.
Yay maybe I'm not entirely insane!

Quote:
Some of us, however, are determinedly avoiding Facebook.

-- Facebook just accidentally set everybody's private posts to public for two days. When they're already in the middle of a commotion about privacy.
Which is quite understandable, they screw up everything. I wouldn't suggest us moving to Facebook, I was just trying to figure out what happened to the other group or if I was losing my mind (always a possibility).

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Astra, was it this one? snopesters (part deaux)

There are a couple of Lisas on the membership list, but I don't know if any of them are you.
Nope, not me and the group name doesn't sound familiar. I checked my group memberships and I don't appear to be in any Snopes-related groups, maybe it was shut down or culled or Facebook just choked on it.
Old 08 June 2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
But at least we're finally getting some attention to the situation. Thanks, snopes and Vinny! (Does anybody here know Vinny?)
It sounds more like they've been planning on starting up some new forums for some time so they just stopped moderating the current forums these last 6 months.