snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Technical Questions

Old 02 June 2018, 04:10 PM

There's no need to be afraid of Reddit. There are the usual internet trolls and subs you don't want to get near, but they are easy to avoid. It's not like here where it's one big board and everyone has access to everything. Reddit is much more community based with each subreddit it's own little community. So you can run it the way you want. Unwelcome troll making life unpleasant, ban him from your sub. You can explore the wider Reddit, or just stick to your own little corner of the world.

While once upon a time Reddit was mostly a link aggregator it's grown into something much larger now. I actually started going there because this place had gotten to be so quiet and I missed conversation. I've got a very interest based set of subs I subscribe to and visit. Subs for the specific games I play, some professional type ones related to graphic design, a wine sub because, wine. I enjoy Ask Reddit a lot. It's the source of a lot of listicles that make the rounds on facebook. In fact that why I decided to seek out Reddit, rather than read whatever sketchy site was stealing their content, I just sought out the content directly. I've been there about two years and really enjoy it.

Richard, the time restriction is just for new accounts. I think it's karma based. So once you get a few points it will ease up. Karma is a Reddit point system of sorts. You get one karma for everyone post you create and one for every comment you make. You also get karma for people upvoting your comments and posts. You lose karma if you get downvoted. It's supposed to reward quality of posts rather than popularity. It's weird but it builds fast enough.
Old 02 June 2018, 07:19 PM

I know Reddit has a reputation for being a toxic place, but I haven't encountered that. It just depends on what groups and subforums you visit, I guess. I find reddit to be a great place to discover interesting stories, little-known historical facts, etc.
Old 02 June 2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post
Karma is a Reddit point system of sorts. You get one karma for everyone post you create and one for every comment you make. You also get karma for people upvoting your comments and posts.
In that case we could upvote each otherís comments there to boost our collective karma.
Old 04 June 2018, 12:23 AM

When I signed up a few years ago here, my posts were in moderation for several months. I kept wondering if there was a postcount cutoff at which point my posts would publish live. I was definitely over 100 posts before they started showing up without delay. ChasFink, I think you joined or at least started posting around the same time and had a similar issue.
I think I ended up posting something about wondering how long my posts would be in moderation and then it was resolved shortly after that.

edit: I had tried to sign up several times over the last >15 years, though, and each time I never received the confirmation email that gives you the password you need in order to log in the first time. Different usernames, I wasn't just continually trying ot register under like an inappropriate name or something. I feel like most users wouldn't have that kind of patience to keep hanging around. It seemed to be a complete fluke that this registration even went through when it did, I was genuinely surprised when I received the email.
Old 04 June 2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
ChasFink, I think you joined or at least started posting around the same time and had a similar issue.
As I remember, my experience was quite similar. I'll search for the posts I made back then to see what I said.

Anyhow, it looks like both snopes and Four Kitties have posted to the "We've Got Mail" area fairly recently, and I find it difficult to believe that this is automated, as the content has to be understood to post it in the right thread. Why do they bother if there is NO interest in maintaining this forum as an active thing?

I'm wondering if this is a case of someone "losing the keys", i.e. administrative passwords, instructions, etc.
Old 04 June 2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Anyhow, it looks like both snopes and Four Kitties have posted to the "We've Got Mail" area fairly recently, and I find it difficult to believe that this is automated, as the content has to be understood to post it in the right thread. Why do they bother if there is NO interest in maintaining this forum as an active thing?

I'm wondering if this is a case of someone "losing the keys", i.e. administrative passwords, instructions, etc.
Or is it a "corporate" thing? Since they now have employees writing the articles, ANY work on the site has to be done by employees, and they simply don't have the time to devote to a message board that isn't bringing in revenue?

Or maybe they're just following orders from George Soros
Old 04 June 2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Or is it a "corporate" thing? Since they now have employees writing the articles, ANY work on the site has to be done by employees, and they simply don't have the time to devote to a message board that isn't bringing in revenue?
I just don't see why in either case they can't just tell us. Again, if they're posting here, then they haven't abandoned the idea of the message board, and us complaining that we don't have any answers can't be good for business. (And lest someone misunderstand, I have no animosity towards snopes.com or anyone associated with it. I'm just a bit frustrated that we're sitting here speculating when a simple answer would be welcome.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Or maybe they're just following orders from George Soros
Old 05 June 2018, 04:49 PM

This was one of the tightest communities I ever participated in, and it's really a shame to see it struggling.

I can definitely help out on reddit, but it will be under a different username (Astra was already taken when I registered)

Last edited by Astra; 05 June 2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old 05 June 2018, 07:53 PM

I lurked much more than I ever posted, so I'm guilty of not keeping the conversation going. I'm really sad to see this message board go downhill, and also that the Etiquette Hell one is gone. I'll join the Reddit group.
Old 05 June 2018, 08:39 PM

Oh man, Ettiquette Hell brings back memories.
Old 05 June 2018, 10:06 PM

Phantom and possibly others, this board's still here. That's not a reason not to sign up for the Reddit group, just in case; but please hang around here also!
Old 06 June 2018, 01:08 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra View Post
Oh man, Ettiquette Hell brings back memories.
The end was spectacular. People blasted the moderation and got banned. The Dame got all hysterical and doxxed several people, posters called her on it and she doubled down. The board set up as a replacement- BadManners at createaforum, went ballistic when people discussed an ehellion who vanished after a racist post on ehell, The board owner demanded that they stop talking about racism and banned oodles of people including her mods.
Old 06 June 2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Anyhow, it looks like both snopes and Four Kitties have posted to the "We've Got Mail" area fairly recently, and I find it difficult to believe that this is automated, as the content has to be understood to post it in the right thread.
It won't be automated but it's possible they might have coded in some shortcuts so the weird emails that get sent to the Snopes account can be posted in the relevant threads without having to log onto the forums and copy/paste them.
Old 06 June 2018, 12:41 PM

The members' list says snopes does log in from time to time, though -- most recently yesterday.

If you are reading this, snopes -- hi! Hope you're doing well. Could you let us know what's up with letting new members sign on?
Old 06 June 2018, 01:05 PM

Computer

If Gutter Monkey is right, snopes' "log in" may be automated.

Anyway, I echo thorny in saying we should not be abandoning this place. The only real issue is getting new members approved - and the original issue of changing usernames. (Karyn, we're still thinking of you!)
Old 06 June 2018, 01:29 PM

I just registered at the straight dope. They have 3,600 or so "active users" and we have around 400-something according to the stats on the front page. I think both boards are in decline because boards in general are.

I don't intend to stop coming here, but there just aren't that many active discussions anymore. I haven't registered at Reddit because I'm not sure what the intention is there. Is it to recreate this forum, but under our own control? Because I don't see how our numbers won't just decrease further and faster. Do people think that Reddit is a much more viable medium? So that the numbers will go up, somehow?
Old 06 June 2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
The end was spectacular. People blasted the moderation and got banned. The Dame got all hysterical and doxxed several people, posters called her on it and she doubled down. The board set up as a replacement- BadManners at createaforum, went ballistic when people discussed an ehellion who vanished after a racist post on ehell, The board owner demanded that they stop talking about racism and banned oodles of people including her mods.
I missed the end of it! There's actually 3 offshoots of it, as well...only one is linked from EtiquetteHell, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I just registered at the straight dope. They have 3,600 or so "active users" and we have around 400-something according to the stats on the front page. I think both boards are in decline because boards in general are.

I don't intend to stop coming here, but there just aren't that many active discussions anymore. I haven't registered at Reddit because I'm not sure what the intention is there. Is it to recreate this forum, but under our own control? Because I don't see how our numbers won't just decrease further and faster. Do people think that Reddit is a much more viable medium? So that the numbers will go up, somehow?
Reddit is not to recreate this forum. It's more so we can keep in touch and keep discussing things that we find interesting. Snopes isn't just about urban legends - that's why we have all of the other offshoots, such as Amusement bark etc, and I'm hoping the reddit subforum will go the same way.

The number might go up, it might go down - one never knows. It might just be core users, but personally, I'm ok with either of those possibilities. We might attract some old snopes users that have long stopped visiting as well.
Old 06 June 2018, 04:44 PM

I should clarify my question. I wasn't thinking of it as possibly recreating the ULMB, with all of its (prior) functions and categories. (I think we rarely discuss ULs anymore because snopes doesn't post questions/emails/new articles here anymore.) I was just wondering if people imagined essentially moving our discussions from here to there, or continuing to come here, but also there? I don't see how having an offshoot board won't make this board become less used. I mean, if something gets discussed there, then it won't be discussed, or discussed as much, here, right?

But not everyone will move. So it seems like it will hasten the demise of this board, which may or may not be an issue, depending on what happens over there. But it seems like it could be useful to be clear about what the intention is, and how people imagine it working and impacting this board.

Last edited by erwins; 06 June 2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06 June 2018, 05:21 PM

I was thinking of it as an emergency backup: a place already set up that we could go to if these boards disappeared altogether, or if logins stopped working.

I'm not sure how others are thinking of it.
Old 06 June 2018, 06:07 PM

Me too - I asked most of the same things as erwins on Reddit...! I think the emergency backup option is best at the moment.