snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 23 August 2013, 02:21 PM

Icon106 Awesome Band Names

I was playing the online version of "Cards Against Humanity" yesterday, and the following card combination came up:

"Who would you go gay for?"

The card that won was "Gandalf."

And it struck me that "Gay for Gandalf" would be an awesome band name.
Old 23 August 2013, 03:14 PM

After listening to his toddler recite "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" and remain at five little monkeys no matter how many times one fell off and bumped his head, my friend decided that Infinite Monkey Loop would be an awesome name for a band. I'm thinking maybe a retro-'60's/neo-psychedelic sorta groove?
Old 06 July 2018, 02:53 AM

Based on a sign that used to be in the greengrocery section of my local supermarket, I thought of starting a band called Slip Hazard, whose first album would have been "Beware of Loose Grapes".

If I formed a band now, I can't decide whether

Falling Joy Bullets

or just

The Joy Bullets

is better. The second sort of implies the first, and also has more innuendo appeal, but it may lose the subtle air of menace that I wanted the name to imply.

If only I had any musical ability or the desire to form a band at all...
Old 06 July 2018, 02:51 PM

Icon106

I might go with a more formal sound:

The Falling Bullets of Joy

Although that sounds a bit like it would be an early 1970s gospel choir.

I once mentioned to an online acquaintance that I found the name of South African politician Tokyo Sexwale interesting. She immediately thought there should be a band called The Tokyo Sex Whales.

I used to think that Scrúdú would be a great name for a band (it's the Irish word for a test or examination, but I just liked the sound of it) but people immediately assumed it was a sly reference to something dirty.

On a related note, a former colleague of mine once began collecting phrases that caught his attention in everyday speech - e.g. "that wouldn't do", "I saw it on my way in", etc. His goal was to spend a summer writing mindless pop hits with these as the titles. He thought he would make millions.
Old 06 July 2018, 03:31 PM

Glasses

I actually think I Saw It on My Way in would make a great band name.

When I was a pre-teen in the late 60s, I thought Parchment would be a good name for a duo (I liked the sound), and my BIL suggested Uncle Pervy and the Neighbors' Kids for a punk band (suggestion made circa 1980, before the church scandals broke).

Seaboe
Old 06 July 2018, 03:39 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
When I was a pre-teen in the late 60s, I thought Parchment would be a good name for a duo

Seaboe
People might get it confused with Parliament, although they were later called Parliament/Funkadelic.
Old 06 July 2018, 04:07 PM

Ponder

Some friends were looking to change their band's name and briefly considered Echolalia. It was rejected as being too reminiscent of Echo & the Bunnymen.

I once got on a roll of coming up with band names of the "X and the Ys" form. Can't remember any of them.
Old 07 July 2018, 03:29 AM

Sadly, no one ever remembers ganzfeld's law.

http://message.snopes.com/showpost.p...32&postcount=3
Old 07 July 2018, 03:45 AM

Mouse

Did that one post I made in First World Problems indirectly revive a five-year-old thread?

I still wish there was some kind of database to check band names, just to see the many different ones that have been used. I was writing a story with a fictional rock band and wanted to see if anyone had used the names I’d thought of. I came up with four names, though I decided between them via a randomizer. If you’re wondering, the band names I came up with, are Ginger, The Lollipop Guild, The Avenging Angels, and Men of Iron. I went with Men of Iron, if you’re wondering.
Old 09 July 2018, 01:59 PM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Sadly, no one ever remembers ganzfeld's law.

http://message.snopes.com/showpost.p...32&postcount=3
"Ganzfeld's Law" would be a great name for either a band, or a detective show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I came up with four names, though I decided between them via a randomizer. If you’re wondering, the band names I came up with, are Ginger, The Lollipop Guild, The Avenging Angels, and Men of Iron. I went with Men of Iron, if you’re wondering.
Do you mention their signature song "We are Men of Iron"?
Old 09 July 2018, 02:06 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I still wish there was some kind of database to check band names, just to see the many different ones that have been used.
Unfortunately, even real bands can't check for conflicts very easily. Just ask Yaz or Charlatans UK.
Old 09 July 2018, 02:32 PM

My friends were in a band called The Wah, and once they started to get some good local success and reviews, they got a cease-and-desist letter from Pete Wylie of The Mighty Wah!, telling them they'd have to change their name if they were going to continue.

(They didn't, because what with one thing or another - like the fact they all had other jobs and most of them had families - they ended up splitting up in 2008 or so before recording anything much, although they had at least an album's worth of their own material. The peak of their success was officially having BBC Suffolk's second-best gig in Suffolk in 2006, which is more impressive than it sounds given that number 1 was the Foo Fighters, they beat the Buena Vista Social Club, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers - for whom they started out as a cover band - didn't even make the top 5.)
Old 09 July 2018, 03:05 PM

Icon106

Sometimes bands are overly cautious. In the 1960s an American band wanted to call themselves The Yellow Pages, but decided on The Yellow Payges, hoping the deliberate misspelling would deflect the anger of AT&T. It turned out that - since AT&T was essentially a telephone company monopoly in the US - they never bothered to assert any IP rights to the name "Yellow Pages" for a classified telephone book. AT&T took it as a tribute, and The Yellow Payges wound up doing TV commercials for the Yellow Pages.

The lead singer later claimed the commercials made them look like fools and were responsible for the band's breakup (according to Wikipedia).
Old 09 July 2018, 03:36 PM

Glasses

But then you have Chicago Transit Authority, who were served with a cease and desist and shortened their name to something much less imaginative.

Seaboe
Old 09 July 2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Unfortunately, even real bands can't check for conflicts very easily. Just ask Yaz or Charlatans UK.
Or, of all things, Toad the Wet Sprocket.
Old 09 July 2018, 04:10 PM

Cowboy

Due to a game of Fibbage I watched on a Twitch stream recently, I came up with "Nine Hours in Nashville" as a band name.
Old 09 July 2018, 06:26 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
But then you have Chicago Transit Authority, who were served with a cease and desist and shortened their name to something much less imaginative.

Seaboe
I could swear the liner notes on the original "Chicago Transit Authority" album said this was the name of the album and the performers on it did not have a band name. Then again, this might have been cautionary language placed there after the legal threats. Can anyone confirm or refute my memory?
Old 10 July 2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I could swear the liner notes on the original "Chicago Transit Authority" album said this was the name of the album and the performers on it did not have a band name. Then again, this might have been cautionary language placed there after the legal threats. Can anyone confirm or refute my memory?
Will this do?

Original 1969 double album liner notes

Now, whether this is an accurate transcription would still be up for debate.
Old 10 July 2018, 05:55 PM

From the above link
Quote:
The name of this endeavor is simply “The Chicago Transit Authority.” For the last thirteen months these seven individuals have performed in Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco as the C.T.A. So, if for nothing else than practical logic, they have chosen to title this work appropriately after their professional identity. The purpose of this commentary, however, is an attempt at documenting the complete rejection of any name label, title or verbal reference relative to the performance contained herein. Corporately as well as individually, this artist endeavors to be judged in terms of contribution alone rather than through the tag affixed upon it. The printed word can never aspire to document a truly musical experience, so if you must call them something, speak of the city where all save one were born; where all of them were schooled and bred, and where all of this incredible music went down barely noticed; call them CHICAGO.

– James William Guercio
So I'd say it's legit...
Old 10 July 2018, 06:08 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Mad Bunnies View Post
Will this do?

Original 1969 double album liner notes

Now, whether this is an accurate transcription would still be up for debate.
That's more or less what I remember. So if this is indeed what was written in the very first pressings, it would seem that the band was known as "Chicago Transit Authority" (or "C.T.A.") before recording the album, and that's the title the album was sold under. But the band is distancing themselves from that name and begrudgingly allowing themselves to be called simply "Chicago". This implies, but doesn't prove, that they were already being pressured to change the name. It's somewhat different from the story that's usually told - that the cease and desist, and name change, came after the first album.