snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 14 December 2017, 03:21 PM

In re distracted driving: I just sent an e-mail to a cousin on how mountain driving can be distracting by telling him that I almost crashed once or twice a week while driving between Santa Fe NM and Los Alamos for work. Look at that whether it was an eagle or a beautiful sunset. And swerve that direction.
Old 14 December 2017, 04:35 PM

Also re distracted driving: a week or two ago I was stopped in a line of cars at a red light. I had been stopped for a significant amount of time when a car came to a screeching stop behind me, barely avoiding running into the back of my car. Apparently he hadn't noticed the line of cars stopped in front of him, or the fact that the light up ahead was red. A second later I heard a crash as the car behind him ran into the back of his car. Apparently that guy was only paying attention to the car directly in front of him and also hadn't realized that all the other cars were stopped or the red light, or he might have gotten a hint that maybe he should be decelerating even though the guy in front of him wasn't. Serves them both right.

And that made me think of a somewhat related TYSHTTP: Blacking out your taillights makes them not work as well, and is therefore not a good idea. The other night I was behind a pickup with those blacked out taillights, and to make matters worse his third center brake light wasn't working. I couldn't actually tell his brake lights were on because they looked no brighter than the regular nighttime rear running lights on other cars. I had noticed that the traffic light up ahead had turned red, and therefore was braking anyway, but I was momentarily confused as to why he didn't appear to be braking until I realized he actually was.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 14 December 2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 14 December 2017, 04:55 PM

How is blacking out your taillights even legal?
Old 14 December 2017, 05:07 PM

And why would anyone want to black them out?
Old 14 December 2017, 05:21 PM

Probably not legal under Federal regulations, not legal in Texas under regular inspection regulations and done for "styling."
Old 14 December 2017, 05:25 PM

It probably isn't legal. California law 12 - 24603 requires that stoplamps be visible from 300 feet during day or night and requires that any modifications to the stoplamps conform to federal vehicle safety standards. Most states have similar laws.

As to why, it is probably to go for an overall blacked out look where the owner will remove all chrome or trim to present a solitary black color or just to personalize the vehicle.
Old 15 December 2017, 02:04 PM

Glasses

Tinting your windows more than a certain amount isn't legal, either, but people do it anyway, knowing it's illegal. They do it for privacy--and, I'm sure, to make it harder to tell there's only one person in the car when they use the express lanes (this is not a guess; it's based on a newspaper story).

I like the idea of express lane tolls because, IMO, since cheaters are going to cheat, the state might as well make money off of them.

Seaboe
Old 15 December 2017, 06:14 PM

Some potential new business is more trouble than it's worth. Pursuing a contract that will saddle operations and IT with unsustainable and/or risky customer demands/processes is ultimately a bad idea, no matter how enthusiastic your commissioned sales people are about the "opportunity."
Old 16 December 2017, 01:02 AM

If you're going to claim that the works of some artists, writers, filmmakers, and musicians that they should be considered great even if the person who created them turns out to have been a horrible person who sexually assaulted children or was a murderer or anything else, you should be able to define what's valuable about the work and why it shouldn't be lost.
Old 18 December 2017, 12:49 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

I like the idea of express lane tolls because, IMO, since cheaters are going to cheat, the state might as well make money off of them.

Seaboe
Have you been following the NFBSKstorm that's erupted in this area over the new I66 tolls? I understand that many people are seriously pissed off, but it also strikes me that the new tool system is working as intended.
Here is a whole series of articles on it.

Source: wtop.com (onsite search)
Old 18 December 2017, 02:31 PM

Glasses

No, I hadn't, but when they first instituted pay-as-you-go Express lanes in I-405 up here, suddenly there were a lot more cars in the regular freeway lanes, which (IMO) means there were a whole slew of cheaters in them before.

If you are a legitimate carpool (or even that determined to cheat), you can get an electronic pass so you won't be charged for using the lanes.

Now they're talking about lifting the $10 toll limit on the express lanes, because $10 doesn't winnow out enough people (the toll is determined based on the time of day, day of the week, and traffic load--the idea being to charge an amount that will guarantee a minimum speed of 45 in those lanes).

Seaboe
Old 18 December 2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
No, I hadn't, but when they first instituted pay-as-you-go Express lanes in I-405 up here, suddenly there were a lot more cars in the regular freeway lanes, which (IMO) means there were a whole slew of cheaters in them before.
I don't see how the new system would prevent cheaters. According to this article, a driver switches their pass to carpool mode to avoid the toll. Enforcement is done by police officers spotting cars with only one passenger but with a pass set to carpool mode. I assume the previous mode of enforcement would have been officers spotting cars with only one passenger in the carpool only lanes.
Old 18 December 2017, 03:08 PM

It seems to me, that you're making the lanes for car pools and affluent people.
Old 18 December 2017, 03:47 PM

Icon02

LTTAM: drivers with overly bright headlights, especially when they are right behind me.
Old 18 December 2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Have you been following the NFBSKstorm that's erupted in this area over the new I66 tolls? I understand that many people are seriously pissed off, but it also strikes me that the new tool system is working as intended.
Here is a whole series of articles on it.

Source: wtop.com (onsite search)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Editorial in the Chicago Tribune today calling them "Lexus Lanes". $40 to drive 10 miles!
Old 18 December 2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
LTTAM: drivers with overly bright headlights, especially when they are right behind me.
Since I have a car, it seems like trucks and SUVs have brighter lights. I think because they sit up higher and the lights hit the mirrors differently than a smaller vehicle do.

My things you shouldn't have to tell people: at certain intersections just because most people make a turn, doesn't mean everyone does. Wait a little bit longer so to be safe and no accidents occur.

Last edited by freethinker; 18 December 2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 18 December 2017, 05:56 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post
Since I have a car, it seems like trucks and SUVs have brighter lights. I think because they sit up higher and the lights hit the mirrors differently than a smaller vehicle do.

My things you shouldn't have to tell people: at certain intersections just because most people make a turn, doesn't mean everyone does. Wait a little bit longer so to be safe and no accidents occur.
Perhaps you're right.

TYSHTTP: You are absolutely right: I've encountered this at my corner before. I'm the horrible person that goes straight through the intersection instead of making the right turn like all decent people do. [That's because my house is on the corner] I've been honked at before; I guess people are so used to seeing no turn signal they assume everyone is making a right turn at My Corner.
Old 18 December 2017, 06:22 PM

I'm the same horrible person that goes straight making people have to wait longer. There are at least two interactions that I have to be cautious (more so than others) going through because most people turn. I'm afraid that the person that had to stop won't actually stayed stopped until it is clear for them to go.
Old 18 December 2017, 06:54 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
And this is a problem, how? Prior to this, they were reserved for car pools, full stop. Now, during certain times of day (night, actually) they are free to everyone. At other times, they are free to car pools, and cost $$ for everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I don't see how the new system would prevent cheaters. According to this article, a driver switches their pass to carpool mode to avoid the toll.
As I said, if there are people absolutely determined to cheat, then yes, they can get a car pool pass. Most people, however, won't bother. If the express lanes work like the 520 bridge, then when the car passes under the toll points, a picture is taken of the license plate, which is used to bill the owner of the car if there is no toll pass. It's more expensive to pay by mail.

Seaboe
Old 18 December 2017, 09:30 PM

Ambulance

DON'T RUN ACROSS THE INTERSECTION WHILE DRAGGING A SMALL CHILD!!!
Especially when it's bad weather.

This was Friday evening when it was snowing.
I had just finished crossing a major intersection in Manhattan and I pass a women just starting to take her small child (not more than 3 years old) across the intersection.
Next thing I hear is a car horn honk and someone near me screaming, "Oh my goodness!"
I turned around and I saw them half under a car. I'm not sure if they slipped when going across the intersection or if the car hit them.
They got up, but the mother was limping. Others had already started over to them and there is a large police presence in the area, so I just continued on. There was nothing I could do.

-- Karyn