snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 07 August 2018, 01:42 AM

The Edgewood Cheese Shop had a chunk of "4 Alarm Cheddar", which has dried chilies, ghost pepper, jalapeno and chipotle. I purchased a portion of it, and it has proven deeee-licious! Not ultra hot, it has a very nice, slow-building heat that lingers for a fair while afterwards - the back of my throat still had a slight, pleasant burn nearly 45 minutes after I tried it. And the cheddar portion is excellent as well, I'd say it's definitely a "sharp" cheddar. It may displace the Red Dragon cheddar as my favorite artisinal spiced cheddar. Yum!
Old 10 August 2018, 12:15 PM

Zach Weinersmith of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal has a new, educational web comic now: Laws and Sausages, a "guide to American government and law, history, philosophy, literature and how things work in practice." It's in conjunction with his brother, who is a professor of political science, and Dennis Culver, a professional comic book artist.

This, in conjunction with the Illustrated Guide to Law, will (I hope) help educate people in how our government and legal system work in actuality - not the way we like to think it works, or how Hollywood has presented it.

And they are web comics!
Old 10 August 2018, 01:17 PM

That webcomic does look really interesting. I have high hopes for it since Zach puts out a LOT of comics on a very regular basis, and puts a lot into them, so it will probably not be one of those projects that just sort of fades away....
Old 10 August 2018, 08:07 PM

Last night's planets were amazing. Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Mars... all of them very bright (except for Saturn, you just can't miss them) and strung out across the sky at an hour that won't keep you up too late. Really worth taking a look if you get a clear night.
Old 10 August 2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Last night's planets were amazing. Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Mars... all of them very bright (except for Saturn, you just can't miss them) and strung out across the sky at an hour that won't keep you up too late. Really worth taking a look if you get a clear night.
And Mars is big and noticeably red.
Old 11 August 2018, 12:31 AM

Turns out the planet I've been seeing that I thought was Mars is actually Saturn. Now I really wish I had a telescope.
Old 11 August 2018, 06:16 PM

I'm leaving for Hawaii (Kauai, specifically) this afternoon.
Old 13 August 2018, 04:32 PM

Icon105

DH went to Moonrise and had a great time! He's been a long time fan of EDM.
Old 18 August 2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Excellent news. You’ll be pleased (?) to know your next challenge went in the post yesterday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
And arrived this morning - thanks! Great design but it does look a tricky one - I don't think I'm going to beat your wife's time...
Definitely didn't beat your wife's time - I only just finished it! Three and a half weeks, I suppose.

To start with I was storming ahead but when I got to the blue bits, never mind the plain white bits with only numbers (the places with lines helped) progress slowed dramatically, although never got quite to zero. And for the last piece just now, one of the plain white standard-shaped bits, I had one piece left and one gap left, and the one piece wouldn't fit in the one gap! Luckily it didn't take as long as it might have to find the other piece that didn't quite fit in its gap and swap them, and the other way round they fitted perfectly. So it's done! Thanks, I enjoyed it.

(For those curious, it's a picture of the Admiralty chart of Guernsey, Herm and Sark, and as you can see, once you've done the edges and the islands themselves, a lot of the rest is either random scattered blue bits, or plain white.)

The next puzzle I have is a 2000-piece one of Picasso's Guernica, which is black-and-white; it's also the wrong shape for a puzzle so it's on a background of an enlarged detail from the painting faded out into in grey-and-white. That's going to be bloody impossible, I think. It didn't even come in a box with a proper picture, just a bag with a small sticker on it. At least Guernica is a standard image so I'll be able to find a bigger version easily enough. I'm not going to start it yet because I'm going away for a bit, though.
Old 19 August 2018, 01:13 AM

It's been years since I got a spam phone call that I could actually get the upper hand over without merely hanging up; the last time I actually got the caller to swear at me and hang up on me. Good times.

Tonight I had my second. About 5 times today, a caller ID'd as "SPAM? PHARMACY" called. Third call I answered and they asked for my wife, and they hung up when I said she wasn't available (literal truth at the time of the call). Fifth time, I answered again, and when they asked for her, I said I was she.

This was an almost perfect setup. I almost can't believe it happened, except my wife and son were auditory witnesses.

The woman on the other end then said she wanted to speak to me about "the pain [I've] been suffering." I said I would LOVE to talk about the pain I've been suffering. How much pain? "A great deal of pain." She then asked what part of my body I was experiencing pain in. I said, "Mostly my ears, from all the spam phone calls I've been getting." Then I hung up.

Very, very satisfying.
Old 19 August 2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Definitely didn't beat your wife's time - I only just finished it! Three and a half weeks, I suppose.
Excellent! well done! you can now choose itís next victim!
Old 20 August 2018, 12:51 PM

Whalephant

My sister got me a tee-shirt that defines, with the help of stick figures, alumnus, alumna, alumni and alumnae.

Someone calling themself an alumni drives me crazy.
Old 20 August 2018, 05:51 PM

That bugs me too.

My fellow law school alumni have taken to using "alum" as a gender-neutral singular, which is fine, I guess. But what drives me crazy is when they wrestle that into an unnecessary new plural: "alums." Every third post in our alumni Facebook group (see? It's right there in the name of the group!) starts with, "hey, any alums practicing xyz law available for abc...?"
Old 20 August 2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
That bugs me too.

My fellow law school alumni have taken to using "alum" as a gender-neutral singular, which is fine, I guess. But what drives me crazy is when they wrestle that into an unnecessary new plural: "alums." Every third post in our alumni Facebook group (see? It's right there in the name of the group!) starts with, "hey, any alums practicing xyz law available for abc...?"
In a world where texting and related variants are king, "alums" has the advantage of being slightly shorter to type. U C were im goin wit dat?
Old 30 August 2018, 06:08 PM

I was shown an add for an army surplus cold weather mask.

https://www.military1st.com/12107001...ask-olive.html

My first thought on looking at it was, "Damn, that will great for scaring small children." So I went to the link to get one. The only review for the mask was about how the buyer was scaring people with it, including this quote, "You can apparently use it when it's very cold to protect your face, but I found better uses I guess"
Old 30 August 2018, 08:06 PM

Glasses

How interesting that that mask is out of stock, GenYus. How many did you buy?

Seaboe
Old 30 August 2018, 08:14 PM

Just one but it was the black version without a review. The linked one was out of stock before I could buy one.

ETA: I signed up for email notification if they ever get it back in stock.
Old 30 August 2018, 08:20 PM

The black one looks scarier to me anyway. Or like something that might be used for BDSM activities.
Old 30 August 2018, 08:36 PM

Since it will be at night or twilight, I'm not sure how well the black mask will show up. It might just look like a dark mask.
Old 12 September 2018, 07:02 PM

Icon605

I did not have to pay for parking at the doctor's office this morning. Seems I left just before I would have been charged.