snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 24 June 2013, 02:49 PM

Icon05 Things that just make you wonder

I was driving home from work last night and saw a shoe in the middle of the road. Just one shoe, on its side, straddling the yellow lines.

How did that shoe get there? Did it fall from a garbage truck, or did some casual fool with his foot out the window lose it? If the latter, why didn't they ask the driver to stop and pick it up?Was there an accident, and this shoe was left behind in the rush to get the pedestrian to the hospital?

And the biggest question of all... why does my mind go off on tangents like this over such little things?
Old 24 June 2013, 03:11 PM

Actually, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who wonders such things, especially about the solitary shoes. A pair I probably wouldn't think about much, but a single one is just odd (no pun intended).
Old 24 June 2013, 03:19 PM

I've wondered about that ever since I was a kid. Once you start looking for them, you really notice a lot of solitary shoes in or alongside the road.
Old 24 June 2013, 06:34 PM

Those darn shoes. My son was with his grandparents one time, and we were meeting half way to pick him up. Once we met up he started looking for his shoes and there was only one. I have no idea how he lost it, unless it was in a parking lot perhaps. Somewhere along Hwy 36 is a fairly nice flip flop.

I wonder about how people spray paint graffiti on the tops of bridges and trains, I am guessing it is a matter of climbing or hanging, but around here it is on the interstate bridges. It just baffles me.
Old 24 June 2013, 06:41 PM

I've been curious for a while now as to why US currency has a 25-cent coin, but a 20-dollar bill. Why not a 20-cent piece, or a 25-dollar bill?
Old 24 June 2013, 06:53 PM

At some point while camper-vanning in New Zealand I lost a sandal from a pair I dearly loved. Don't know where it was lost, but it is probably out there creating a mystery for someone.
Old 24 June 2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by she-geek View Post
I've been curious for a while now as to why US currency has a 25-cent coin, but a 20-dollar bill. Why not a 20-cent piece, or a 25-dollar bill?
According to Wikipedia, "The choice of 25 as a denomination, as opposed to 20 which is more common in other parts of the world, originated with the practice of dividing Spanish Milled Dollars into eight wedge shaped segments (called "pieces of eight"). At one time "two bits", that is, two wedges, each wedge an eighth, thus a quarter of the Spanish real, was a common nickname for a quarter."
Old 24 June 2013, 07:13 PM

Glasses

I'm with Sunglass_diva wondering about the graffiti. Also, pieces of clothing other than shoes that end up at the side of the road.

Then there was the slightly-flattened spoon. I found it on a residential street, picked it up, and gave it to a friend (who has actually found it quite useful).

Seaboe
Old 24 June 2013, 07:24 PM

I was walking recently and came across a clean/fairly nice looking pair of pants lying near the sidewalk on a residential street. Then about half a block further, a pair of underwear (adult male sized). I don't think they fell from the garbage as these houses have the garbage cans in the alley, not at the front curb. I wondered if there was a naked guy running around the neighborhood or what.
Old 24 June 2013, 08:25 PM

Braille at drive-up ATMs.
Old 24 June 2013, 09:04 PM

That one's easy -- the design of a drive-up ATM panel is the same as that of a walk-up ATM panel, to save on costs (manufacturing and maintenance).
Old 24 June 2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunglass_diva View Post
I wonder about how people spray paint graffiti on the tops of bridges and trains, I am guessing it is a matter of climbing or hanging, but around here it is on the interstate bridges. It just baffles me.
On this local bridge, I always assumed they climed up the arch. On an an interstate overpass, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Braille at drive-up ATMs.
Well that one's easy. They use the same model ATMs for the drive-ups as for the walk up ones. It's not like they're going to bother manufacturing different ATMs specifically for drive-ups. Not to mention a blind person could still use the ATM as a passenger in the back seat.

ETA: Bah, partially spanked while I was searching for a picture of the bridge.
Old 24 June 2013, 09:13 PM

ATMs are designed and build without foreknowledge of where they will be installed. It would take more time and effort (and increase inventory costs) to have a set of Braille walk-up ATMs and non-Braille drive-up ATMs that any savings from not making Braille keypads.

Plus, a blind person in the driver's side rear seat could want to use a drive-up ATM.

ETA: Double-spanked.
Old 24 June 2013, 09:17 PM

My dad used to drive my sister to those ATMs before she had a driver's license. So it's not always the driver using them.
Old 24 June 2013, 09:30 PM

Some banks also only have drive-up ATMs available 24-7.
Old 24 June 2013, 09:47 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Plus, a blind person in the driver's side rear seat could want to use a drive-up ATM.
But that explanation still raised the issue of how the blind could use ATMs in the first place, since they wouldn't be able to read the on-screen prompts and information displays. Talking ATMs now deal with that facet, but ATM keypads were required to incorporate braille well before the advent of talking ATMs.
Old 24 June 2013, 09:54 PM

If (s)he went to the same ATM every time, and had someone to read the prompts the first time, a blind person could probably manage to memorize the prompts.
Old 24 June 2013, 09:56 PM

Isn't this thread functionally identical to the "Stupid Questions" thread?
Old 24 June 2013, 10:12 PM

I dunno, I suppose. If the mods want to merge it with Stupid Questions or even Unhijackable it's up to them.

I know that a thread creator has no control over the topic once it's started, but I sort of envisioned this as a place for strange observations or questions that have or need no answer.
Old 24 June 2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
But that explanation still raised the issue of how the blind could use ATMs in the first place, since they wouldn't be able to read the on-screen prompts and information displays.
The vast majority of blind people do have some vision.
Many blind people would be able to read the screen but not the buttons.