snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 29 December 2017, 06:08 PM

Default What are your resolutions for 2018?

I haven't decided on mine yet, but I'm thinking of something along the lines of staying current on the news. I used to read a lot more news articles and listen to NPR on the way to work, but it's been such a terrible year I've had to disengage a lot. Alternatively, maybe I'll go with something like taking better care of myself-- more gym, less Taco Bell. Neither of those strikes me as particularly inspired. I'd be interested to hear what others are doing, or not doing as the case may be.
Old 30 December 2017, 03:41 AM

I'll probably resolve to start working on projects earlier. Leaving things to the last minute is one of my worst habits.
Old 30 December 2017, 04:48 AM

Theme Icon

My resolution is to start buying presents for Christmas starting in about July. It's always a last-minute panic without any budgeting done for it. Same with non-perishable food, which we will do in about early November.
Old 30 December 2017, 04:56 AM

Due to a period of heightened anxiety/depression a month or so ago, I've let my apartment get pretty gross. It's a short-term resolution, but I plan to spend New Year's Eve doing some deep cleaning. I guess my resolution for the new year will be maintenance/not letting it get gross again.
Old 30 December 2017, 05:02 AM

I already can’t live up to my own expectations. This year my resolution is to not make any resolutions that will make me feel worse about myself.
Old 30 December 2017, 02:33 PM

Baseball

I usually pick some resolution that quickly dies in January or at best February. Get more fit, lose some weight, stop drinking coffee, stop spending money etc

This past year, I had a revelation. An epiphany even. I have this vision of the person I want to be. My revelation was that the only impediment to becoming the person I want to be is me.

So, my resolution is that in 2018, I will become closer to the person I want to be than I am now.

Some things about this. The person I want to be:

- does not procrastinate
- finishes what is started
- takes action and is less a bystander
- exercises routinely
- swears far less often (not that I swear a lot)
- stays on top of the housework
- walks the dogs daily
- and other things

As long as I'm better towards the end of the year than at the beginning of the year, I will have had a successful resolution.
Old 30 December 2017, 02:52 PM

I think my biggest resolution this year is a determination to stop being taken advantage of! I need to learn how to say no to someone, nicely of course, and stick to that! I also want to get back on track with my diet. And I really need to spend more time with my parents. I am very lucky to still have them in my life and I need to make sure I see them a lot more often in 2018 than I did in 2017. Also, and this is a big one, I need to stop obsessing about Donald Trump - he helped make 2017 a bad year for a lot of people, including me, I can't keep letting his antics define 2018.

Last edited by Sue; 30 December 2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 30 December 2017, 03:58 PM

Icon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
As long as I'm better towards the end of the year than at the beginning of the year, I will have had a successful resolution.
I like this.

I have a friend who is always positive, even in the face of adversity (both cancer and a not-yet-diagnosed medical issue, within her immediate family). During the last year there's been a lot of negativity in the world and the world needs more people with a positive outlook.

No idea how to be one, but I want to be one of those who is positive.

Ongoing improvements: measuring what I eat, learning German, doing exercises

Main goal: No more Zero Days
Old 31 December 2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I used to read a lot more news articles and listen to NPR on the way to work, but it's been such a terrible year I've had to disengage a lot.
I've come up with a second resolution, and it's very similar to this. I tend to handle anxiety by numbing my brain with dumb TV and internet nonsense. I'm going to try to do that less. More reading, more writing, maybe even leaving my apartment once in a while!
Old 31 December 2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post

Main goal: No more Zero Days
I love this! Thank you for sharing!

I am also trying to make better use of my time. I am teaching myself a musical instrument and have started drawing again. I want to fill my time with meaningful, creative activities rather than mindless scrolling through the internet. I also hope to do better at using myfitnesspal to track my eating habits. It's been a tough year and I tend to stress eat.

So I guess I don't have a single resolution, just an ongoing quest to be a better person overall.
Old 31 December 2017, 04:55 PM

I don't know; I think granting oneself permission for an occasional Zero Day might make it easier to get more done on the other days.

Wasn't that the original idea of the Sabbath?
Old 31 December 2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I don't know; I think granting oneself permission for an occasional Zero Day might make it easier to get more done on the other days.

Wasn't that the original idea of the Sabbath?
The goal isn't to get more done, it's to avoid doing nothing on any day which is slightly different. Or as the article says:
Quote:
Didn'tí do anything all f***ing day and itís 11:58 PM? Write one sentence. One push up. Read one page of that chapter. One. Because one is non zero.
But it's also entirely possible that someone might miss out on achieving their "non zero day" activity for all sorts of reasons (they got distracted by a medical emergency or work emergency and didn't realise they'd forgotten to do the thing until after midnight) so that should also be factored into the plan.
I believe that failing your resolution doesn't mean it's over and you just abandon it, you're allowed to take it up again if you still feel it's a worthwhile practice.
Old 31 December 2017, 05:53 PM

I understand that; but the 'no zero days' concept nevertheless implies that one ought if at all possible to accomplish something on every day of the year: in other words that a day deliberately set aside to have no work requirements has something wrong with it.

I'm intending to take tomorrow off; though I don't know whether I'll succeed (and of course the cats need to be fed, etc.). And some years I manage to take off the 4th of July or a solstice day. I'm not at all sure that my resolution, if I make one, shouldn't be to actually formally allow myself an occasional additional day off.
Old 01 January 2018, 03:34 PM

If something is stressing me out, confront it and deal with it instead of avoiding it. This is mostly to do with obligations. Sometimes even getting myself to check my email causes me anxiety. Or a cluttered space in my house is stressing me out but I keep walking past it without doing anything about it.
Old 01 January 2018, 11:37 PM

I'm going to try to not drink any more this coming year. This of course doesn't mean I'm going to drink any less either.

Also, I am going to do one thing every day towards the restoration of my wife's great grandfather's 1947 Jeep. So far I've removed the front wheels. (Did you know the left side lug nuts are left hand thread on old Jeeps?) I also have removed the front differential cover and found that my FIL's storage method of filling everything with 90 weight oil before he had to put the Jeep into the barn seems to have worked. There was no rust on any thing in the diff.
Old 02 January 2018, 05:30 AM

I decided my resolution is going to be spending more time with friends and family. It was inspired by my friend's tipsy declaration as I was leaving her party last night that we don't hang out enough and her resolution was to fix that, but it resonates for me in a lot of ways. I work a lot--too much, some say, even though I love my job--and sometimes I go weeks without doing anything social. I finished school three and a half years ago, and while my law school friends were the single biggest contingent among my wedding guests a year ago, we're all kind of drifting our own ways, with different jobs, people starting families, all that life stuff. I know to some extent this is inevitable, but I don't want to just give in to it. There are people we haven't seen since the wedding, and might not see again if we don't make an effort. Part of my antisocial behavior can be blamed on having a crappy apartment my husband and I don't feel comfortable inviting people over to, though part of that is that we also don't keep it very clean. (I tried to get him to agree to hire a cleaning service, but he's too embarrassed to even let them in.) We're moving at the end of February to a nicer place where we can entertain, and I'm excited to do that. I think I'll set a goal to invite people over (or at least out somewhere) every week. That will help me maintain these relationships, give me an incentive to keep the new place clean, give me a reason to cook more, and maybe even push me to listen to NPR occasionally so I have something to talk about besides work.
Old 02 January 2018, 02:26 PM

Paint the front hall.
I could make a long list of things I slacked on over the last year but I'm going to focus on this one project. I can do it mostly by myself. I think I can afford the materials. It will make the whole house seem nicer.
Old 02 January 2018, 02:38 PM

I don't find the traditional NY resolution thing very helpful, but I do try to get myself some goals/aims. One this year is to do a better job of distinguishing situations where I need to hold myself accountable from situations where I should really give myself a damn break. It's surprisingly easy to flip the two, giving myself a pass on things I shouldn't, and beating myself up about simple human errors.

ETA: I'm sure some people will find the No Zero Days approach helpful, and I wish them the best with it. But the article lost me right here:

Quote:
I like to think of life as binary, either you’re right (1) or you’re wrong (0), you’re doing something (1) or you’re not (0). The idea of a non-zero day is to do something every single day to move towards your goal. To build a string of 1’s instead of 0’s.
Old 02 January 2018, 05:03 PM

Stolen from Twitter:

Quote:
My new year's resolution is 1080p
Old 02 January 2018, 05:12 PM

I've taken a step towards my "be more engaged" goal: I cancelled my HBO Now subscription and put the money towards getting the paper delivered instead. I miss reading actual, physical newspapers.